2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

Just now, Tugboat said:

I just don't buy into the revisionist 20-20 hindsight sort of take on this.  Like, if that gamble actually converts, the Lions probably actually win the game and everyone's singing Campbell's praises for what big balls he has to have gambled there and got his team fired up with momentum.

There's understanding the situation, but then there's just understanding that sometimes those calls are going to work out and be huge for you, and other times it won't pan out.  But that's why it's "gambling".

It’s one thing to gamble during the regular season. It’s a totally different deal when you’re playing to go to the Super Bowl. Kick the field goal, extend your lead. Not kicking the field goal to tie the game (if made obviously) just seemed silly to me. I didn’t understand it at all. 

2 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I don’t even have a problem with DC not taking the FGs in the first half. Deciding not take the 3 points to tie it late in the 2nd half is what gets me. 

Same people complaining now would be saying we lost because he was too cautious if he went for the FG. It's football.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Idk why but Strahan will always a have soft spot in my heart. His whole stomp them out routine lives rent free in my head. 

I think he flubbed a couple details, but he's one of the best motivational speakers in football history, and not a phony like Ray Lewis lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry but that award is still firmly in Andy Reids hands. 

Unless he takes this years SB away from him.

Andy Reid has shown the coach he is: an elite coach who wins the SB when he was Patrick Mahomes. He's never been to the SB without a top QB (PM, Prime McNabb). He couldn't do it with Alex Smith over several years, or Prime Vick, or anyone else.

Shanahan has been running circles around other offensive minds since he was in Washington, has made the SB with Jimmy G, has made a QB out of a Mr. Irrelevant and will now go to a SB (and maybe win it) with said Mr. Irrelevant. Also, Shanny's coaching tree is far greater, which is astounding considering that Reid has been coaching for multiple times longer. 

Sorry but it's not close. 

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I just don't buy into the revisionist 20-20 hindsight sort of take on this.  Like, if that gamble actually converts, the Lions probably actually win the game and everyone's singing Campbell's praises for what big balls he has to have gambled there and got his team fired up with momentum.

There's understanding the situation, but then there's just understanding that sometimes those calls are going to work out and be huge for you, and other times it won't pan out.  But that's why it's "gambling".

A lot of people like to judge outcomes and not the decisions themselves. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As bad as that was, not taking the free points /FG's and getting stopped on 4th downs multiple times were even more egregious. 

That cost them the game. Dan Campbell cist them the game.

I don’t agree. I understand the “momentum” narrative and all that — and we all watched it play out— but I think those 4th down calls were both defensible. I would wager the analytics support going for it in both cases, which is at least something. Plus, he’s familiar with their leaky defense, and he’s also familiar with their kicker. Both can be a little dicey. Neither of those FGs was “free points,” regardless of how people want to frame it. 

The run on 3rd and goal is indefensible. Maybe you score, but if you don’t, the game is over. Impossibly bad balancing of the risks against the rewards there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

One team is about to play in like their 8-10th Super Bowl.

The Lions have never been.

It isn’t fair, it’s tough.

Historically I agree and Detroit seems cursed. This year was a big outlier. This felt like an entirely different franchise. I'm pretty stoked with the final result even if I'm unhappy with the loss right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Psychlone said:

Same people complaining now would be saying we lost because he was too cautious if he went for the FG. It's football.

Yep. Everyone calls him a beta if they miss the FG or they lose anyway. Still think they should've kicked that last one though.

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

Historically I agree and Detroit seems cursed. This year was a big outlier. This felt like an entirely different franchise. I'm pretty stoked with the final result even if I'm unhappy with the loss right now.

You can’t say curse tbh. They broke everything this post season run. They were arguably the better team, just experience played a factor. But moral victories mean nothing when the stakes are this high. Just gotta get back to the lab. 

8 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

People that watched those playcalls should not be low on Campbell and high on Ben Johnson. Ben is great but doesn't make the best decisions. He's incredibly aggressive and those plays were in his hands.

Who made the decision to go for it? Sweet Jesus.