2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Im saying there are times to be aggressive and times to show some restraint.  Im not saying the execution was good or bad.  People say DC is aggressive and that is who he is.  Its fine to be that but their may be some level of situational awareness that could be implemented. 

Situation awareness is key here. When EVERY break for an entire quarter falls in favor to the opposite team, maybe just maybe its a time to do something different just to kill the narrative. The Lions just needed one little break in they favor, but this came when they were 10 points behind...

3 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

People can second guess Dan Campbell or blame the Detroit receivers, etc., but everybody should also give the 49ers a lot of credit.  They held tough after the half, and did what they had to do to come back.

It's kind of like the Chargers/Jaguars game last year.  Every break went the Chargers way in the first half, and it would have been easy for the Jags to just give up and say "Oh well, we tried."  Like the Niners this year, the Jags scored each time they got the ball, played within themselves, and their defense held the Chargers from scoring for the rest of the game.

In both cases, the result came about because one team did what they had to do and won the game, rather than the other teams "losing it." 

This whole thing has drained me.  The Lions aren't even my team, but I was really wanting them to win.  I don't have anything against the 49ers, but it still feels almost the same as after a Bears playoff loss. 

It's the main reason why I have come to enjoy the draft more than the playoffs, because after the draft, just about every team leaves feeling hopeful.  In the playoffs, it always ends with all but one team's fan base being disappointed.

I miss those "Bears playoff losses" despite how painful they usually are.

• Like 1

IMG-0747.jpg

DC just said that this might be their only shot. It’s weird and keeping it real. But I don’t think you should say those things. Re group and rebuild. This year was house money.

he said next year will be harder. Idk, nothing he’s saying sounds right 😂 talk about wearing your heart on your sleeves. I feel him but man the talent is there.. 

6 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

IMG-0747.jpg

DC just said that this might be their only shot. It’s weird and keeping it real. But I don’t think you should say those things. Re group and rebuild. This year was house money.

he said next year will be harder. Idk, nothing he’s saying sounds right 😂 talk about wearing your heart on your sleeves. I feel him but man the talent is there.. 

I don't know, think he's just being honest. So many things can go wrong and turn your season sideways. How many thought Philly would be an easy out after making the SB last year and starting 10-1?

It's funny because before tonight's matchup, I told my wife that SF probably wins 6 or 7 times out of 10 and the Lions only had to be better today. But after watching these two teams play, I'd say that's probably reversed.

You never know when a bounce here or there means it's your year or not. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

IMG-0747.jpg

He didn't lie. Unfortunately they are about to get Shane Stiechen on offense,  when Johnson gets hired and leaves for Washington.  How does that effect Goff and that offense with a new OC, new playcaller?

Players will leave in FA, every season is a new season. Nothing is guaranteed health wise. Wasted opportunity!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

I am old school.  I believe you take the points when possible.  Campbell decides to be aggressive but it doesn't work and his team comes away with nothing.  The momentum swings and his D is on its heels.  SF marches down the field and now Detroit is down 2 scores with only 3 minutes to go.  With the rules change it is nearly impossible to recover an onside kick and they are cleaning their lockers while SF is on to the SB.  

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This tweet is exactly the problem with old school thinking. Thousands of data points say that the pts% and win% are higher in a lot of situations (I haven't looked about these specific decisions so this is a general statement). To disregard that for "game conditions" only makes sense if you can point to the game conditions outside the normal in that situation that cause the change. Those "game situations" very rarely actually exist, and the idea of momentum is definitely not one of them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This tweet is exactly the problem with old school thinking. Thousands of data points say that the pts% and win% are higher in a lot of situations (I haven't looked about these specific decisions so this is a general statement). To disregard that for "game conditions" only makes sense if you can point to the game conditions outside the normal in that situation that cause the change. Those "game situations" very rarely actually exist, and the idea of momentum is definitely not one of them.

Really??? I believe in the specter of momentum in a football game. I also believe in UFOs and ghost too though. 

Anyway, I need some time to think about Dan Campbell's direction in this game. Probably on his side with most of his decision making. Need to watch the telecast again.