Conference Championship: San Francisco 49ers vs Detroit Lions

Like I was saying yesterday, it was hilarious how Schefty was trying to report on Deebo's status right after the game when he had not even gone through all his tests...Now Schefty comes back saying it is 50/50 if Deebo plays on Sunday lol.

The extra day off definitely helps and gives him a better shot to play. If I had to guess, I'd say that he does play even if he is not featured heavily in the game plan. From all reports and Deebo's own mouth, the injury isn't as bad as the one he suffered earlier in the season. I'm not sure if he will need some sort of surgery in the offseason to fix the issue or if this is just something he will have to deal with for the rest of his career. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Run game will be huge in this one. We are a fairly bad rush defense against a very good run team, Detroit is one of the best run defenses in the league

It's gonna be a story of how badly their run offense mangles our mediocre run defense and how badly our passing offense mangles their bad pass defense for me. But I think that we have the better tools (although the Deebo injury is a wrench in interpreting the data).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Run game will be huge in this one. We are a fairly bad rush defense against a very good run team, Detroit is one of the best run defenses in the league

Ok and another note to add in is that the only reason the Niners defense was 3rd best in RYPG is b/c teams ran the fewest against them since the Niners often had double digit leads and thus threw on them a great deal. On the flip I think the Niners can still run on the Lions run defense even though they're ranked very high. Gonna need some passes to expose the Lions pass coverage though. 

i feel pretty ambivalent at this point after watching the Chiefs and Ravens play this weekend.

we would have lost 45-10 if we played them like we played the Packers this weekend.  

Our defense has fallen off the cliff. Brock Purdy is fine but it's unsettling/concerning that if you take away just one of Trent/Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle/CMC or throw a little rain on the football and the entire offense plummets into the abyss (not sure if this is more of a purdy issue, a kyle shanahan issue or a combo of both)

The 49ers offense is like a watch with a bunch of gears and you need all of them or it doesnt work. 

plus Kyle Shanahan is the Kyle Williams of coaches in close games.... 

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 1

Something I found interesting - Goff's home/road & grass/turf splits for this year:

Grass: 124/195, 1,261 yds, 64% CMP, 6.5 AVG, 5 TDs / 4 INTs, 82 Rating

Turf: 283/410, 3,314 yds, 69% CMP, 8.1 AVG, 25 TDs / 8 INTs, 104 Rating

The Lions played the Chiefs, Packers, Ravens, and Bears on natural grass. Goff is an average QB on grass this year. 

Home: 195/278, 2,240 yds, 70% CMP, 8.1 AVG, 19 TDs / 6 INTs, 108 Rating

Road: 212/327, 2,335 yds, 65% CMP, 7.1 AVG, 11 TDs / 6 INTs, 89.4 Rating

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Something I found interesting - Goff's home/road & grass/turf splits for this year:

Grass: 124/195, 1,261 yds, 64% CMP, 6.5 AVG, 5 TDs / 4 INTs, 82 Rating

Turf: 283/410, 3,314 yds, 69% CMP, 8.1 AVG, 25 TDs / 8 INTs, 104 Rating

The Lions played the Chiefs, Packers, Ravens, and Bears on natural grass. Goff is an average QB on grass this year. 

Home: 195/278, 2,240 yds, 70% CMP, 8.1 AVG, 19 TDs / 6 INTs, 108 Rating

Road: 212/327, 2,335 yds, 65% CMP, 7.1 AVG, 11 TDs / 6 INTs, 89.4 Rating

Most Lions fans can verify that I've been beating this as a point of concern all year. Was one of the issues I had with really considering them an elite super bowl contender. 

You can actually go back to last year as well. 

He was 65.8%, 2500, 23 TD / 3 int at home

64%, 2000, 6 TD / 4 INT on road...and I think 3 of those touchdowns was Carolina game

I do think the fact that it's California will maybe help him out some, but the splits have been a real thing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most Lions fans can verify that I've been beating this as a point of concern all year. Was one of the issues I had with really considering them an elite super bowl contender. 

You can actually go back to last year as well. 

He was 65.8%, 2500, 23 TD / 3 int at home

64%, 2000, 6 TD / 4 INT on road...and I think 3 of those touchdowns was Carolina game

I do think the fact that it's California will maybe help him out some, but the splits have been a real thing. 

The Panters actually play on turf. I thought it was grass as well. 

I really don't get why grass gives him trouble, but it's definitely a real thing. 

Edited by NinerNation21

Detroit 25 (banking on them going for 2 at least once)

SF 28

These Lions are the real deal. The crowd has to effect this game and disrupt their offense.. keep the INTs coming. Make Goff look like the QB everyone thought he was

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Interior pass rush is going to be so crucial in this game. Get in Goff's face, make him move off his spot, and we have them right where we want them. 

I am definitely worried about their rushing offense though. No question about it. 

Big ARIK ARMSTEAD week on the horizon! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Interior pass rush is going to be so crucial in this game. Get in Goff's face, make him move off his spot, and we have them right where we want them. 

I am definitely worried about their rushing offense though. No question about it. 

Big ARIK ARMSTEAD week on the horizon! 

If we get up early and force them to pass the ball this game will get out of hand imo (in the best possible way). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GW21 said:

If we get up early and force them to pass the ball this game will get out of hand imo (in the best possible way). 

Lions are not a team to abandon the run. Even if a team is down 21, they can continue to run the ball until about partway through the 3rd. 

The key is to force them into 2nd and long or 3rd and more than 6/7. 

The entire NFL world is against us this week. Everyone is rooting for the lions. The media is coming after Brock hard this week. I think this team responds. They go to war with Brock, they don't take this stuff lightly.