Conference Championship: San Francisco 49ers vs Detroit Lions

Guys, we have been to a lot of these since I started watching at 7 in 1990, but this one feels different.  I have never had the entire media and pretty much everyone rooting against us.  It's like we turned into the Dallas Cowboys overnight.  The guys seem like they are a little tense, but then again, the right level of intensity is needed in the playoffs.  Intense preperation can lead to a lot of gameday confidence.  

I feel good about a Brock bounce back game.  I think on the other side it will depend on the D-line.  They are going to see a lot of standard blocking sets, but they send a lot of guys in the route, and Goff's trigger is quicker than normal right now.  He's processing the reads and throws faster than I've seen him do it in the past.  It is going to be a real challenge for the guys to cover the quick stuff.  Soundly defeating the five blockers is going to be key.  Quick pressures, bull rushes, driving him into the other guy are where we can disrupt their rhythm.

I think we avoid man coverages on most plays, but I am not sure how much we will cheat LB's into gaps this week, then back them out or line up the DL 3 by 1.  Those are two things Ryans used as a base type of thing, and Wilks uses as a blitz/pressure package.  Huf was sort of the question mark on the field, and he made things muddy with his ability to make it seem one way, then back into his spot in the zone.  I feel like there are too many downs where we just show cover 3, then run cover 3.

If you go back and look at Brock Purdy's INT against the Ravens, the Ravens showed two, the safety faked going into a 3, and they went to a cover 6.   Then again, there is a thin line between a deft fake and taking false steps.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The lions biggest advantage in this game is in the coaching. 

Yeah, the going for it on fourth down advantage is going to be huge. Ben Johnson versus Steve Wilks is a mismatch. On the other other hand, I really struggle to see how Shanahan doesn't rip up the Lions defense unless he turtles and runs the ball too much. But we'll see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, the going for it on fourth down advantage is going to be huge. Ben Johnson versus Steve Wilks is a mismatch. On the other other hand, I really struggle to see how Shanahan doesn't rip up the Lions defense unless he turtles and runs the ball too much. But we'll see.

I was thinking mainly of the head coaching, in game management. I figured Shanny v Lions defense and Johnson vs Wilks would offset. 

But we know Campbell will steal possessions, and Shanny will give them away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I was thinking mainly of the head coaching, in game management. I figured Shanny v Lions defense and Johnson vs Wilks would offset. 

But we know Campbell will steal possessions, and Shanny will give them away. 

Does Dan Campbell do anything with regards to the Lions offensive gameplan or is that Ben Johnson's job solely? I know Dan Campbell is more of a rah rah rah type of head coach who talks a whole lot.

If the Niners offensive line can pass protect then Brock should be able to pick apart the Lions secondary b/c this might have to be a Brock day since the Lions run defense is great. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Deebo will be playing, the question is he can last the entire game or not? 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a decoy the entire game to keep them honest. We did that earlier this year, didn't we? The guest game against Arizona, I think

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Does Dan Campbell do anything with regards to the Lions offensive gameplan or is that Ben Johnson's job solely? I know Dan Campbell is more of a rah rah rah type of head coach who talks a whole lot.

If the Niners offensive line can pass protect then Brock should be able to pick apart the Lions secondary b/c this might have to be a Brock day since the Lions run defense is great. 

Johnson runs the offense. Campbell runs the game (and does so extremely well)

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a decoy the entire game to keep them honest. We did that earlier this year, didn't we? The guest game against Arizona, I think

Yes, but I don't think he is just a decoy in this game. Maybe he doesn't get the 12-15 touches that he was on pace for against the Packers but he will be a factor in the game. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So remember when Reed was running wide open? Thomas passes him over as he is crossing to the other side of the field but Ryan doesn't see it and continues carrying the TE when Gibson was already back there. This was a DANGEROUS decision to put Ryan in there over Brown. I get that Brown missed some time, but Ryan was literally in retirement when he got the call late in the season. From this to not helping deep on another ball and then his terrible angle/tackle attempt on Jones? Sheesh. Hope Shanny/Wilks don't make the same bad decision on Sunday. 

Back to this play but it really pisses me off because if Ryan does his job, we really have everything covered up to a T. That's a play where Love has to throw it away or he takes a sack. This, along with our defenders slipping so much made the defense look so much worse than what it should have been. Wilks needed to be more aggressive with the blitzes, especially when GB kept an extra blocker but overall a lot of the Packers favorite route concepts were covered up. Wilks is a damn good coach with how he draws up the game plan for our DBs. 

5 hours ago, JIllg said:

That was literally the difference in our game. At some point the variance just has to catch up. Playing that way is so risky. But fortune favors the brave. 

How yall feeling about this game? Best team in the last 6 years? Is this the most stacked? What’s the word my fine gentleman? 

And I don’t think the world hates you guys! I just think everyone’s cheering for Det. The under dogs.. Everyone loves a good dawg. 

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Everyone loves a good dawg. 

If that were the case, this whole Brock Purdy thing, wouldn't be a thing...

People want to see Purdy fail more than they want to see the Lions win imo.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah that I don’t get or follow. So I have no idea. Maybe they just hate he’s thriving in a “system” and has an embarrassment of riches. 

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I stopped caring what people said about him about halfway through the season. It is more irrelevant than his draft position at this point, other than it probably fires up our team a little bit (and by a little bit, I mean a lot). 

To quote the the great curtis james jackson III: "and if they hate then let them hate and watch the money pile up". 

Purdy is going to thrash this bottom 5 pass defense of the lions, just like he did to every mediocre pass defense we played all year. 

Even if Purdy wins a SB, it will be "yeah but....". So it is truly a big "who gives a sh!t?" from me. The narratives do not matter. They seem to not matter to him most of all. Some guys say they dont give a **** but clearly do, but from what we can tell from Purdy that he genuinely does not care, which makes it all irrelevant.  

• Like 3