NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

5 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’ve watched both playoff games. I didn’t move or speak for either. No cheering, NOTHING.

My wife thinks I must be in shock. It really hasn’t sunk in.

I’ve cheered for the Lions for 60 years. I always thought they’d win a superbowl but as time passed I thought they’d win an NFC Championship, then I settled for a playoff game.

As life has turned out this will likely be my last superbowl 

They Have the will, character, determination and belief in themselves to win. 

Wait that sounds a bit cryptic, you doin alright? 

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’ve watched both playoff games. I didn’t move or speak for either. No cheering, NOTHING.

My wife thinks I must be in shock. It really hasn’t sunk in.

I’ve cheered for the Lions for 60 years. I always thought they’d win a superbowl but as time passed I thought they’d win an NFC Championship, then I settled for a playoff game.

As life has turned out this will likely be my last superbowl 

They Have the will, character, determination and belief in themselves to win. 

If we win it all, I look forward to your victory post. In the mean time, I'm glad they have given you something to take in -- in a positive way for once. Here's to many more superbowls for you.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

attack the right side of the 49ers oline in obvious passing downs -that is where we are weakest.

flood the middle of the field and make purdy throw outside the numbers. beware of CMC out of the backfield

dont play single high safety, dont play man coverage, and be careful with blitzing... Purdy will shred you to pieces. 

on offense - Gibbs is your greatest weapon. 49ers defense has trouble setting the edge. 

if Ambry Thomas is on the field... he is a PI machine... especially deep throws. just throw it up - he'll panic and tackle your receiver. EZ money

their linebacks are insane... Warner and Greenlaw are monsters. middle of the field vs this defense is a hazard zone. 

RZ defense is a strength of the 49ers.... they have been great at holding opponents to field goals from inside the 20 as of late

Green Bay had the right idea they just couldnt finish... play ball control... run Gibbs and Monty... shorten the game leverage your massive oline.  

The Browns and the Ravens took it to the 49ers. Played bully-ball and beat-up. 

49ers are tremendous front runners. if they get up 2 scores on you it's very hard to come back. it unlocks Shanahan's Play action leverage and you're done. they will just snowball you out of the stadium

Close games is where they get into trouble... Shanahan gets inside his own head out thinks himself, gets scared to lose... yeah. 

I have heard a couple of times this season that the 49rs offense isn't built to play from behind.  If the Lions can get off to a fast start and build a decent lead things could be interesting.

22 hours ago, teude said:

Suh next?

Our TE's coach was the Cardinals TE's coach the last few years so he has experience with Ertz.  I am guessing thats why he was brought in at this point.  He obviously will be behind the 8 ball as far as knowing play calls and schemes but I am guessing he will focus on 10-20 plays and given he is a vet and hopefully smart will be solid enough to fill that backup TE roll.  This staff has been very picky about who and when they add players to the roster so I don't expect a huge roll for him but we at least have a seasoned vet if Laporta goes down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Our TE's coach was the Cardinals TE's coach the last few years so he has experience with Ertz.  I am guessing thats why he was brought in at this point.  He obviously will be behind the 8 ball as far as knowing play calls and schemes but I am guessing he will focus on 10-20 plays and given he is a vet and hopefully smart will be solid enough to fill that backup TE roll.  This staff has been very picky about who and when they add players to the roster so I don't expect a huge roll for him but we at least have a seasoned vet if Laporta goes down. 

One that has Superbowl experience as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have heard a couple of times this season that the 49rs offense isn't built to play from behind.  If the Lions can get off to a fast start and build a decent lead things could be interesting.

fast starting against the 49ers is the first step to beating them. coming out and scoring a TD and then forcing a 3 and out will put Shanahan on the backfoot and take away his tempo-initiative. that's what you want. get shanahan reacting to you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

fast starting against the 49ers is the first step to beating them. coming out and scoring a TD and then forcing a 3 and out will put Shanahan on the backfoot and take away his tempo-initiative. that's what you want. get shanahan reacting to you. 

It’s important to us as well. In the 14 wins we have had this year, we have scored first in 12 of them.  The only game we lost that we scored first in was the Dallas game which we actually won but the refs stole it from us.  Which means in games we don’t score first, we are 2-5 in.  So I think that’s partly why we take the ball to start the game but also need to make sure we start fast.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Wait that sounds a bit cryptic, you doin alright? 

I’m old. and the body and mind start to break down. Such is life.

Not cryptic but am a yelling, gesturing, cheering maniac. Even the dog hides when the Lions are playing. It’s totally out of character for me.

• Like 6

Player Position Injury Wed Thu Fri Game Status

Jonah Jackson G Knee DNP DNP   Unspecified

Chase Lucas CB Illness (-) DNP   Unspecified

Frank Ragnow C Ankle/Toe/Knee/Back DNP DNP   Unspecified

Kalif Raymond WR Knee DNP DNP   Unspecified

Alex Anzalone MLB Shoulder/Ribs LP LP   Unspecified

Sam LaPorta TE Knee DNP LP   Unspecified

Josh Reynolds WR Ribs LP LP   Unspecified

James Houston DE Ankle FP FP   Unspecified

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:
Player Position Injury Wed Thu Fri Game Status

Jonah Jackson G Knee DNP DNP   Unspecified

Chase Lucas CB Illness (-) DNP   Unspecified

Frank Ragnow C Ankle/Toe/Knee/Back DNP DNP   Unspecified

Kalif Raymond WR Knee DNP DNP   Unspecified

Alex Anzalone MLB Shoulder/Ribs LP LP   Unspecified

Sam LaPorta TE Knee DNP LP   Unspecified

Josh Reynolds WR Ribs LP LP   Unspecified

James Houston DE Ankle FP FP   Unspecified

The practice reports are leading up to Thursday. Still haven't seen Friday practice designations. There was an MLive article that made it out like LaPorta was out but it appears that was just a "projection" since he was DNP on Thursday. 

Estimated:

• Jackson - Out
  • Lucas - TBD
  • Ragnow - IN
  • Raymond - Out
  • Anzalone - In
  • LaPorta - In/TBD
  • Reynolds - In
  • Houston - In (wait to see if coaching staff brings him up)

Just now, Karnage84 said:

The practice reports are leading up to Thursday. Still haven't seen Friday practice designations. There was an MLive article that made it out like LaPorta was out but it appears that was just a "projection" since he was DNP on Thursday. 

Estimated:

• Jackson - Out
  • Lucas - TBD
  • Ragnow - IN
  • Raymond - Out
  • Anzalone - In
  • LaPorta - In/TBD
  • Reynolds - In
  • Houston - In (wait to see if coaching staff brings him up)

I saw that article and they weren't clear if he was out for the game or out for the practice. Pretty poor reporting imo.