Chicago Bears hiring Shane Waldron as OC

notthatbluestuff

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, yeah, I'm outside of the fanbase so I don't know the intimate details. I could be completely wrong but everything I saw was that Eberflus was in big trouble and it seemed to be a bit shocking that he kept his job. Hopefully it all works out and Caleb has a similar impact on the Bears that Stroud had on the Texans. No hate for the team. 

I'm not sure you can manufacture those same results, there are so many different variables that goes into how he got those results. I understand Caleb's skill set but im not sold on his maturity, also is he going to fall in line with the offense they have set for him or is he going to go off script and do his own thing (not saying he cant be successful doing that) he just gives off entitled, Kyler vibes. Fields already has the locker room and they are really in a position to make a big jump with the right moves, I'm not sure the locker room would do the same for Caleb and im not sure how he will hold up when adversity hits in a city like Chicago. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xmad said:

Good hire he got Geno to play pretty good, thinks this means they're learning towards keeping fields since they didn't hire an OC that would benefit Williams.

No, that was Dave Canales.

Shane Waldron got total control over the offense this year and literally every single part of it regressed from last year, despite adding more talent. This is not a good hiring for Chicago.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Seahawks gave their entire staff permission to seek other opportunities since the new coach will be bringing in his own people.

Huh..  I figured since Carroll was just moving up to a FO type role, there might be less turnover.

Interesting

23 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Huh..  I figured since Carroll was just moving up to a FO type role, there might be less turnover.

Interesting

That's not actually happening (at least not yet?). They said that to make everyone feel good, but from what I've read and heard (from actual players) since then, doesn't seem like there's been an actual role carved out or any sort of plan in place to actually do that.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No, that was Dave Canales.

Shane Waldron got total control over the offense this year and literally every single part of it regressed from last year, despite adding more talent. This is not a good hiring for Chicago.

I mean Geno being out for two weeks and having some sort of elbow injury hurt the offense pretty well (I mean Drew Lock starting two games isn't the worst thing but is a definite negative), and I'm not sure how many people actually thought Smith would replicate a 30/9 season. I mean the guy threw for more TDs in 2022 than he did the previous 8 years combined. Who would have really thought that was going to be repeatable? Canales looks damn good right now but do you really think he could have done so? I don't. We aren't talking about a guy who has ever had sustained success as a QB in the NFL. 

The rushing attack definitely took a downward turn though. Anyone expecting Geno to carry a team to a top 5 passing attack likely was well out of reasonable expectations to begin with, he needed a good run game to help him and certainly did not get it. And after all that they still only dropped by 2.5ppg. 

That being said, I'm not excited or disappointed with the hire. I preferred Kubiak or Moore. He absolutely is better and more proven than Getsy/Nagy/Loggains, but I'm not counting on too much. Fields is what Fields is, he is a guy that can be exciting and make enough wow plays to keep people enticed, but when it comes to paying him off of a rookie contract I wouldn't even sit at the negotiation table. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I mean Geno being out for two weeks and having some sort of elbow injury hurt the offense pretty well (I mean Drew Lock starting two games isn't the worst thing but is a definite negative), and I'm not sure how many people actually thought Smith would replicate a 30/9 season. I mean the guy threw for more TDs in 2022 than he did the previous 8 years combined. Who would have really thought that was going to be repeatable? Canales looks damn good right now but do you really think he could have done so? I don't. We aren't talking about a guy who has ever had sustained success as a QB in the NFL. 

Geno was still good this year, but the offensive scheme and play calling really held this offense back. Specifically, and I've mentioned this before, Waldron's tendencies and play designs were AWFUL this year.

The seahawks ran the ball more than any team in the NFL I think on 2nd and long this year, and basically they either got a first down, or didn't get any yardage at all because their average 3rd down distance was like 6-7 yards. 

In terms of play design, Waldron rarely if ever gave Geno actual checkdown options that weren't flat routes, and he avoided the MOF like the plague despite Geno dominating in that area in 2022.

Lastly, redzone...The Seahawks were an absolute mess in the redzone this year. They were the worst rushing team in the Redzone by a ways I think, and again the play design down in the redzone was just awful as well.

All of this to say, Waldron did not impress me at all this year when Dave Canales wasn't there.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Geno was still good this year, but the offensive scheme and play calling really held this offense back. Specifically, and I've mentioned this before, Waldron's tendencies and play designs were AWFUL this year.

The seahawks ran the ball more than any team in the NFL I think on 2nd and long this year, and basically they either got a first down, or didn't get any yardage at all because their average 3rd down distance was like 6-7 yards. 

In terms of play design, Waldron rarely if ever gave Geno actual checkdown options that weren't flat routes, and he avoided the MOF like the plague despite Geno dominating in that area in 2022.

Lastly, redzone...The Seahawks were an absolute mess in the redzone this year. They were the worst rushing team in the Redzone by a ways I think, and again the play design down in the redzone was just awful as well.

All of this to say, Waldron did not impress me at all this year when Dave Canales wasn't there.

Not taking anything away from Canales but do you know how much influence he even had on the offensive play calling in 2022 when he was Geno's QB coach in Seattle or are you just piecing two and two together in saying that Canales left after Geno's best season ever in 2022 and then he regressed a bit this past year without him, so for that he must be the reason why 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, they could have hired Harbaugh and let him take the heat for the QB decision. Bears have good defensive pieces and Roman or whomever could get a lot from either Fields or Williams. 

It kinda sounds like Harbaugh wanted to go to the Chargers, I'm unsure if he would've ever seriously considered taking on the Bears.

That said, there's still a couple dozen promising candidates who I'd entrust my 1st overall QB & rebuild with over Eberflus. I agree it doesn't make much sense to stick with him considering they're in a perfect spot for a proper rebuild.

22 hours ago, game3525 said:

I still don't understand why the Bears just didn't clean house. 

Because Poles likes Eberflus and Warren likes Poles and Bears ownership doesn't historically endorse firing HCs two years in.  

Only really happened to Marc Trestman and only because he lost locker room in his second year, team laid down and they were getting blown out weekly.  

Eberflus caught a break and gets rare opportunity to keep his job and hire a new staff.