Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

And I started writing a series of articles on Dungeons and Dragons alignments. It's an interesting topic to think about and how you can use them well in your game.

I'd read it (would be interesting to figure out how to allow players who want characters who are */evil or chaotic/neutral). Sling me a link when it's ready.

I'm team "play your character for a few sessions before you write down your alignment." That way we don't have to hear, "Well that's what my character would do!!" when someone does something ****ty. Or at least it seems to help prevent that. Nobody has to check their sheet before every decision. You can just play.

And it seems like a more accurate portrayal. Your character is how they are due to play, not necessarily what the sheet says. And it can change. Just play your character and figure it out.

Paladins are a bit different. But if you're playing a Paladin, you should already know to make morally good decisions. Otherwise you picked the wrong class.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm team "play your character for a few sessions before you write down your alignment." That way we don't have to hear, "Well that's what my character would do!!" when someone does something ****ty. Or at least it seems to help prevent that. Nobody has to check their sheet before every decision. You can just play.

And it seems like a more accurate portrayal. Your character is how they are due to play, not necessarily what the sheet says. And it can change. Just play your character and figure it out.

Paladins are a bit different. But if you're playing a Paladin, you should already know to make morally good decisions. Otherwise you picked the wrong class.

I didn't put that piece of advice in, but I probably should. I always look at alignment as the guideline when you don't have something your character would obviously do in a situation. Instead of holding up the table while deciding what you're going to do, you can just glance at your alignment and make a snap decision based on that. I also think the "Well that's what my character would do!!" argument will always end up with me responding "That's fine, but if you're taking away from everyone else's fun at the table, stop."

• Like 2

Also, got part way through the second story in T.I.M.E. Stories. That game is so much fun. Have the second time to play it scheduled for Sunday and then I'll order the next story soon. The game is a just really well done, and this story feels so much different than the first one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I didn't put that piece of advice in, but I probably should. I always look at alignment as the guideline when you don't have something your character would obviously do in a situation. Instead of holding up the table while deciding what you're going to do, you can just glance at your alignment and make a snap decision based on that. I also think the "Well that's what my character would do!!" argument will always end up with me responding "That's fine, but if you're taking away from everyone else's fun at the table, stop."

Dnd is pretty much the only game that actually writes down and has explanations of alignment. It's more flavor than anything.

But if it's used properly, it can add an extra dimension to characters. And if dms are clever, they can find ways to make it a little more relevant than just being a player choice during character creation.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, The Gnat said:

I also think the "Well that's what my character would do!!" argument will always end up with me responding "That's fine, but if you're taking away from everyone else's fun at the table, stop."

Something to pursue for one of your articles - "How do I deal with the player who always pulls the 'that's what my character would do!' argument without wrecking the session and/or group?"

23 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

But if it's used properly, it can add an extra dimension to characters. And if dms are clever, they can find ways to make it a little more relevant than just being a player choice during character creation.

This too. :D

(this is not a rookie DM asking or anything, not at all, nope, not at all :D:D:D  (my daughter, of all people, with her first character already kind of played into this with her true neutral druid (was going to leave the bard to fend for himself because it's what happens in the wild ("the strong survive, the weak ... don't") ... thankfully I was able to steer her away from it (advantage of rookie players too)))

• Like 1

THere's a game, Middara on Kickstarter for it's second printing. I decided, after watching a play through of a scenario, and I decided I would back it. Looks like a big dungeon crawl game, actually the first part is bigger than what came with Gloomhaven, I think by less than a pound.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, The Gnat said:

Also, got part way through the second story in T.I.M.E. Stories. That game is so much fun. Have the second time to play it scheduled for Sunday and then I'll order the next story soon. The game is a just really well done, and this story feels so much different than the first one.

Realize I should say, wrapped this up on Sunday. I thought it was really good, and we already ordered the third one. The second one was a ton of fun and clearly we're still very interested in it.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, The Gnat said:

Which story is that? We started the midieval/scifi story(I think it was called Prophecy of Dragons) but never got around to finishing it. We all felt first "half" was pretty poorly designed. We were all pretty big fans of the Asylum story that we'd be open to trying another. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Which story is that? We started the midieval/scifi story(I think it was called Prophecy of Dragons) but never got around to finishing it. We all felt first "half" was pretty poorly designed. We were all pretty big fans of the Asylum story that we'd be open to trying another. 

Marcy Case is the second one technically. And then Prophecy of Dragons is the third one. I like The Marcy Case better than Asylum, and we ordered Prophecy of Dragons.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:25 AM, The Gnat said:

Had a brutal game of Pandemic Legacy Season 1 last night. I'd post what it was, but that would definitely spoil it for some as I believe that I'm well ahead of where @Woz is in the game at this point playing September. 

Oh yeah, well past me (been hard to get the crew together for games). Thanks for not saying anything.

At the same time, if you want to, you can use the

[spoiler]

tags. They're there for a reason. :D

More board game training tonight, and by that I'm mean, playing Ice Cool. I think I mentioned it a while ago, but at GenCon I'm in the North American Championship for this silly little penguin flicking game. I expect to do poorly. Though, I don't want to look like I'm horrible at, hence a little practicing.

So we FINALLY cleared the dungeon of a fabled lich. It took like five sessions (18ish hours). They were supposed to recover a crown and scepter based on flyers the king sent around the kingdom. They met the lich and I made him old and senile. They loved him. Now he has to be the BBEG.

• Like 1