Post-Football Success Stories

BetterCallSaul

38 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We all know of the bad stories…are there opposite examples?

Have there ever been dudes in the league that were awful humans and then turned it around post-NFL? Like a Pacman Jones becoming a good person? 

Is there a threshold for how good a player had to have been to be considered a post football success story? If not, guys like Carl Weathers and Terry Crews come to mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

IDK if people think of him as a bad guy.

You don't know if people think of him as a bad guy?

Ray Rice Footage Prompts Roger Goodell's Action - The New York Times

Nah, he's a good chap. A simple "incident," as you call it, shouldn't tarnish his legacy. Who hasn't beaten a woman into unconsciousness once or twice in their lifetime?

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You don't know if people think of him as a bad guy?

Ray Rice Footage Prompts Roger Goodell's Action - The New York Times

Nah, he's a good chap. A simple "incident," as you call it, shouldn't tarnish his legacy. Who hasn't beaten a woman into unconsciousness once or twice in their lifetime?

Exactly, I'm glad you see it my way

I love what Cam is doing. For many he’s polarizing figure. He’s just a brother being him and putting people on. His style and his writing is trash. Besides that he’s a good freaking dude man. He knows what he’s talking about. He got a lot of hate for his recent takes but he’s been money..  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

I love what Cam is doing. For many he’s polarizing figure. He’s just a brother being him and putting people on. His style and his writing is trash. Besides that he’s a good freaking dude man. He knows what he’s talking about. He got a lot of hate for his recent takes but he’s been money..  

He's really entertaining and definitely has a very valid and hard-earned perspective. He does do a ton of good for a bunch of different communities. I don't particularly like him as a person though. He doesn't take accountability very well. Never did. He was never a bad guy, just someone that constantly shirked from certain responsibilities.

Tony Mandarich and Brian Bosworth came to mind for me. They were both doped up, incredibly un-liked, and busted hard. I'm not sure if they were particularly bad people, but they both ended up seemingly decent human beings with a large portfolio of charity work.

14 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

Ryan Leaf maybe?

Without question.

I'd add Montee Ball too. He's spoken out about alcoholism and his own recovery. And for every person like Leaf and Ball who speak publicly, there are probably a lot of other former NFL guys who got themselves sober without the fanfare of being a formerly famous player.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

12 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

His interview on the pivot podcast was pretty good. Good to see he overcame his addiction and is doing better.

I hope so. He's had puff pieces about turning over a new leaf (sorry), only to get arrested again.

Regardless of the drug problems, he seems a lot more humble than 20 years ago.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I hope so. He's had puff pieces about turning over a new leaf (sorry), only to get arrested again.

Regardless of the drug problems, he seems a lot more humble than 20 years ago.

This interview was good made me think of him differently. He seemed to mature and learn from his past mistakes.

• Like 2