2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

On 3/18/2024 at 1:04 PM, VigilantZombie said:

I personally love what Pittsburgh is doing.There is no one here that can honestly say the quarterback position.Last season for us was not absolutely pathetic in this year.Not only do I think it's an upgrade.And it also has future potential. I also think we've got a good bit to get rid of the me first guys in the locker room

You do realize you guys added Russell "Let's ride" Wilson, right?

• Like 6

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Where do Tyler Boyd, DJ Chark, Josh Reynolds, Hunter Renfrow land? They can be solid assets to a teams passing game.

I think they're post-draft adds once the WR frenzy in the draft is complete. Or guys brought in if anyone gets hurt during OTAs or TC.

I think they're solid parts, but the position is so flush with talent nowadays it's easy for them to get overlooked.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Where do Tyler Boyd, DJ Chark, Josh Reynolds, Hunter Renfrow land? They can be solid assets to a teams passing game.

I'd like Boyd or Reynolds on Washington 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

so what are the Chiefs weaknesses going into the draft? LT, CB, and still could use a WR

LT would be #1. I would have Edge as #2 pending how they feel about Omenihu's recovery and FAU's development. Might be fine if both of those things look good, but if not, losing Omenihu to injury and Danna to free agency is a lot of lost snaps. I think those are the two needs they look to do something about pre-draft.

After that, DL, OL, WR, DB are all fine spots to go for. Doubt they go CB high, but they almost certainly take someone in the lower rounds. Been getting a lot of mileage out of 4th and 7th round picks at DB. Could use a long term answer at OT, or prep for the future inside with Creed and Smith being FAs next year, and Thuney getting up there. Would like to improve at WR3, obviously.

If they bring back Smith or get another stopgap vet at LT though, I don't think there's any real slam dunk, absolutely must-draft a starter, position. WR somewhere early and DB somewhere late seem likely given our recent tendencies and the strength of WR this draft.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

LT would be #1. I would have Edge as #2 pending how they feel about Omenihu's recovery and FAU's development. Might be fine if both of those things look good, but if not, losing Omenihu to injury and Danna to free agency is a lot of lost snaps. I think those are the two needs they look to do something about pre-draft.

After that, DL, OL, WR, DB are all fine spots to go for. Doubt they go CB high, but they almost certainly take someone in the lower rounds. Been getting a lot of mileage out of 4th and 7th round picks at DB. Could use a long term answer at OT, or prep for the future inside with Creed and Smith being FAs next year, and Thuney getting up there. Would like to improve at WR3, obviously.

If they bring back Smith or get another stopgap vet at LT though, I don't think there's any real slam dunk, absolutely must-draft a starter, position. WR somewhere early and DB somewhere late seem likely given our recent tendencies and the strength of WR this draft.

they confident in their corners? I see a weakness 

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

they confident in their corners? I see a weakness 

Yeah. McDuffie is still a stud. Jaylen Watson and Joshua Williams are both plus players who have started at various points the past two years, like when McDuffie was hurt in '22. Nazeeh Johnson was getting a lot of hype prior to getting hurt as well, but training camp hype is unreliable, obviously. My guess would be McDuffie and Williams start outside, then in nickel McDuffie moves into the slot and Watson comes in outside. Chamarri played great late in the season, including in the postseason, when Bryan Cook was hurt, so he'd likely be third S and handle some slot duties as well. Great blitzer, so he'll take some of what was vacated there. And then obviously Reid and Cook are good to start at S. Deon Bush is good for special teams and depth as well.

Williams and Watson aren't Sneed, but whoever you would take at the end of the first or second rounds aren't going to be Sneed either anyway. But Williams allowed about a 45% completion last year. Under 5 yards per target. Only missed one tackle. PFF had him at a 73, if you're a PFF guy, which would be low end #1 CB high end #2 CB territory. Watson was like a 66 IIRC. And both improved from 2022 to 2023.

We still have more than most teams in the secondary, and have churned out DBs from late round picks with surprising consistency in Veach's tenure. Not sure if it's scouting or coaching, but either way, I think they'll feel pretty comfortable about it.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

so what are the Chiefs weaknesses going into the draft? LT, CB, and still could use a WR

I don't necessarily think CB is a weakness if the young players like Josh Williams and Jaylen Watson can fill in the void and the next tier can move up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't get how we didn't see this coming. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This Shoehi Ohtani situation Ii s exactly why you can't put an NFL team in Las Vegas, @Forge.

No, you just need a translator as your middle man...and one that will fall on his sword.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:35 PM, ET80 said:

I think they're post-draft adds once the WR frenzy in the draft is complete. Or guys brought in if anyone gets hurt during OTAs or TC.

I think they're solid parts, but the position is so flush with talent nowadays it's easy for them to get overlooked.

My thoughts exactly. If you haven't signed now, there is no real reason to do so until the draft/training camp. This WR class is amazingly loaded but even then, there will be teams who simply don't grab one by how the board falls, or draft a specific type and bring in the appropriate vet that covers the skillset they didn't get. Also injuries and inevitable WR rookies that struggle in TC.