Around The League

Jerry

Just watching Hard knocks with Da Bears and have to say I think Caleb Williams comes across as more down to earth than I thought he would. They might have something in him. 

Also, more important to us, we need to trade for Tyson Bagent, just learned he has some Welsh blood in him on the programme 😁😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Just watching Hard knocks with Da Bears and have to say I think Caleb Williams comes across as more down to earth than I thought he would. They might have something in him. 

Also, more important to us, we need to trade for Tyson Bagent, just learned he has some Welsh blood in him on the programme 😁😁

Bagent had a pretty good preseason, from what I hear. He might not be a bad pickup if we sent Chicago a 5th for him.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Martinez was interesting because of what he did in the other league....but he really didn't look spectacular in the preseason. Like a Luis Perez, he seems to be really good at the next level down, but the NFL is too big for him. 

Pratt, I can sort of buy into. He needs a lot of work, but I think that was expected. Tulane was super reliant on their run game and his ability as a willing runner. Their WRs were garbage and I don't think they really bothered ever working with Pratt as a passer. But the tools are there for someone who wants a project. Really the only downside with him is that he's more of a project than AOC and with us almost certainly going QB next year, he'll struggle to make a 2 QB deep roster. 

I wanted another developmental QB because if Minshew / AOC suck, could have a QB with a higher ceiling getting a shot in December 

46 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I wanted another developmental QB because if Minshew / AOC suck, could have a QB with a higher ceiling getting a shot in December 

I'm not against it. 

If Minshew stinks up the place and AOC can't beat him out, no need to keep either going forward. The inverse applies too- If AOC sucks and Minshew doesn't play well enough to keep the job away from him. 

I wouldn't be surprised to have a whole new QB room next year. It'd be nice to have a decent vet presence, the rookie QBOTF, and 2-3 guys in camp fighting for the long term backup role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm not against it. 

If Minshew stinks up the place and AOC can't beat him out, no need to keep either going forward. The inverse applies too- If AOC sucks and Minshew doesn't play well enough to keep the job away from him. 

I wouldn't be surprised to have a whole new QB room next year. It'd be nice to have a decent vet presence, the rookie QBOTF, and 2-3 guys in camp fighting for the long term backup role. 

I can see that 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/packers_josh_jacobs_reveals_the_team_he_refused_to_sign_with_in_free_agency/s1_13132_40820347

Don’t know how true this is but it says that Jacobs turned down the Chiefs as he didn’t want to play for them. I found it interesting he said the Packers offered him a deal and the Raiders not only declined to match it but when he said he’s sign for less they were equally unmoved……. Must really like White and what he brings to the table.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/packers_josh_jacobs_reveals_the_team_he_refused_to_sign_with_in_free_agency/s1_13132_40820347

Don’t know how true this is but it says that Jacobs turned down the Chiefs as he didn’t want to play for them. I found it interesting he said the Packers offered him a deal and the Raiders not only declined to match it but when he said he’s sign for less they were equally unmoved……. Must really like White and what he brings to the table.

Jacobs wore out his welcome here. 

When it was time for contract talks, all of a sudden he could play through anything. Prior, he missed 3 games for a papercut. Dude very obviously had himself on a pitch count while chasing the bag. 

At the end of the day, he may indeed have signed for less to stay. But Green Bay set his contract up for 1 year with options thereafter. Even they smelled it. Had he resigned here for less, the Raiders probably foresaw him ultimately being an oft-dinged up malcontent as time went on, and there were simply cheaper options available who have an incentive to actually bust ***. 

Not concerned about him being gone at all, really. I don't think his game will age well, and I just don't see his production going forward ever justifying the money. I don't hate the guy, he has a few years where he can be a star for a contending team on a run if he puts the effort and stays healthy. But for a team 2-4 years away from being contenders, his age, style, and contract would make absolutely no sense. By the time we're really going to be contenders, he'll be staring at the 30 wall. Between the wear and tear and already lacking top speed, I honestly doubt he has more than 1 or 2 more 1000 yd campaigns before he's the run of the mill 750-800 yd plodder you're looking to replace. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 6:17 AM, NYRaider said:

Sounds like SF's ownership is upset with Shanahan / Lynch for the excessive spending to keep the team together without a SB. If they come up short and fire Shanny you have to give him a god father contract.

I honestly think he is the next Andy Reid.  Really good offensive mind, came up short in the big one a couple times.  Probably just a top 5 QB away from winning 2-3 SBs.  I would sign him and then sell the farm for our top 5 QB.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Someone show Frankie KC using two TEs their entire first drive. 

I noticed that too. Balt did a lot too. Wonder if it's like a new trend, someone must have noticed how effective it is for the two top AFC teams to be utilizing it so much. 

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

I noticed that too. Balt did a lot too. Wonder if it's like a new trend, someone must have noticed how effective it is for the two top AFC teams to be utilizing it so much. 

A move TE where you can line him up all over offers so much versatility. Can use them as a FB, Slot, TE, X etc…

On 9/4/2024 at 6:17 AM, NYRaider said:

Sounds like SF's ownership is upset with Shanahan / Lynch for the excessive spending to keep the team together without a SB. If they come up short and fire Shanny you have to give him a god father contract.

They’ll fire Lynch and keep Shanahan due to how they were burned with Harbaugh/Balke 

49ers are headed towards cap hell