Around The League

Jerry

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree, I was wrong on this as I thought at least moving Carr would open up possibility of drafting a new QB qyucikly. Which in the end it will. But being stuck as a mid team and being out of reach of QB is a problem. They really have no end in sight until the wheels come all the way off and they fall into a high draft pick. 

It could have. I'm a Carr fan and I didn't necessarily think moving on was necessary if we had a good HC and OC, but I also understand he wasn't going to be our QB for another decade and rebuilding wasn't a bad idea. 

So many mistakes were made with the how. I will forever believe had we handled the divorce correctly, we could've convinced him to accept a trade rather than leaving via FA. What his market value would have been is TBD, but it wouldn't have been a 6th or something that couldn't have helped us go after a QB. 

Benching him when they did soured the mood. Depending on who you listen to, we then tried to convince him to come back, which certainly didn't help with a guy who, whatever his flaws as a player, values commitment and loyalty. 

End of the day, there's nothing wrong with someone thinking moving on from Carr would result in quickly drafting a new QB. It's actually fairly absurd how poorly the post-Carr QB situation was handled. I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for having thought moving on from Carr to drafting QBOTF wouldn't be a 3-4 year ordeal where absolutely nothing was recouped from the move. 

I think the only person that was dogmatic in a (mis)belief Carr was utterly worthless was BayRaider, who would've dropped numerous 1sts on the likes of Russ and Malik Willis to satiate his midget QB fetish. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ultimately, there was to much internal support. Then Maxx went out and made it public how they locker room felt. More or less forced Mark Davis' hand is how I see it. 

But leadership is about doing what is best for your organization and he needed to nail the coaching and staff hires coming off the McDaniels debacle. He instead succumbed to pressure and took the easy path. 

Only saving grace... Johnson, Slowik and Kubiak get another year of seasoning I guess. But Mark will probably try to hire Gruden again. 

The mistake as I see it was not the promotion of Antonio Pierce, as you say we were kind of backed into a corner at that stage and were yet to see how it’s going to all settle down.

The huge, glaring, massive error IMHO was choosing Josh McDaniels over John Harbaugh a few years back. Harbaugh was known to be interested and he’s got history with the Raiders organisation, it was the obvious hire at that time, we wouldn’t have wasted time and tons of money on that bum Garoppolo and we may even have our QBoTF by now.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Good for him, hope he finds success in New Orleans.

We’ve got to look forward now though and figure out what we’re doing moving forward. Do we still shoehorn Minshew into a not perfect style of play! Do we bring O’Connell in and ask him to be the game manager he seems to be? How do we get our QBoTF in the next offseason or draft?

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It could have. I'm a Carr fan and I didn't necessarily think moving on was necessary if we had a good HC and OC, but I also understand he wasn't going to be our QB for another decade and rebuilding wasn't a bad idea. 

So many mistakes were made with the how. I will forever believe had we handled the divorce correctly, we could've convinced him to accept a trade rather than leaving via FA. What his market value would have been is TBD, but it wouldn't have been a 6th or something that couldn't have helped us go after a QB. 

Benching him when they did soured the mood. Depending on who you listen to, we then tried to convince him to come back, which certainly didn't help with a guy who, whatever his flaws as a player, values commitment and loyalty. 

End of the day, there's nothing wrong with someone thinking moving on from Carr would result in quickly drafting a new QB. It's actually fairly absurd how poorly the post-Carr QB situation was handled. I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for having thought moving on from Carr to drafting QBOTF wouldn't be a 3-4 year ordeal where absolutely nothing was recouped from the move. 

I think the only person that was dogmatic in a (mis)belief Carr was utterly worthless was BayRaider, who would've dropped numerous 1sts on the likes of Russ and Malik Willis to satiate his midget QB fetish. 

Agree with this. The way JMD/DZ handled Carr was awful. Worse, they were in decent draft position to trade for a QB and opted for Jimmy G. Now you have AP who opted for Getsy/Minshew. And what future rookie do you want to pair with Getsy and Scangarello who has been awful with QBs to?

I wish this organization would get the right people in the building to draft a QB and develop properly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The mistake as I see it was not the promotion of Antonio Pierce, as you say we were kind of backed into a corner at that stage and were yet to see how it’s going to all settle down.

The huge, glaring, massive error IMHO was choosing Josh McDaniels over John Harbaugh a few years back. Harbaugh was known to be interested and he’s got history with the Raiders organisation, it was the obvious hire at that time, we wouldn’t have wasted time and tons of money on that bum Garoppolo and we may even have our QBoTF by now.

Agree. Why Davis never took that opportunity serious is beyond comprehension. Choosing JMD was an error, but allowing yourself to be backed into a corner was equally as egregious. Unless AP evolves as we hope.

A true leader isn't influenced by outside noise. They make the best decision for their organization. Davis basically interviewed nobody and odds are he's making another coaching hire again soon.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good for him, hope he finds success in New Orleans.

We’ve got to look forward now though and figure out what we’re doing moving forward. Do we still shoehorn Minshew into a not perfect style of play! Do we bring O’Connell in and ask him to be the game manager he seems to be? How do we get our QBoTF in the next offseason or draft?

Gotta give up to DC he’s looked great can he keep it up is the question assuming he’s healthy. The Carr truthers can beat their chests for sure right now lol

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 4:25 AM, Jeremy408 said:

Go look at his stats the previous 13 games before that. Iirc, he was sitting at 13/8 TD/Int ratio and was a bottom 10 QB before putting together a nice stretch to end the season last year. He was a big reason why the Saints didn’t make the playoffs last year when they absolutely should’ve, especially in that bad division.

Carr is a good QB and certainly far better than what we have now, but he ran his course here. We had ten years with him to try to put the right formula around him to win, we failed.

Carr is the type of QB who will leave a fanbase divided for 10 years. Right now we are united in knowing we need to find a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Carr is a good QB and certainly far better than what we have now, but he ran his course here. We had ten years with him to try to put the right formula around him to win, we failed.

Carr is the type of QB who will leave a fanbase divided for 10 years. Right now we are united in knowing we need to find a franchise QB. 

Lets cut him(losing 5 mil in the process) and plunge the franchise into a situation where we have no QB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I really enjoyed how this went from a normal conversation to a hilarious joke to finish it all off.  I just did not see that surprise ending coming at all.  Lol

On 9/9/2024 at 7:25 AM, big_palooka said:

Sure, but still not a fan of paying an average QB elite money at the sake of your team. You're never winning a Super Bowl with a Carr level QB. 

Carr at 35 mil (last year for us) or 30 mil this year for the saints... Is not elite money.
People use the term elite to loosely around here 😉

edit to add link:
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2024
18th highest paid qb this year
21st last year 

That is FARRRRRRR from elite money lmao. 
that is below average. 

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Lets cut him(losing 5 mil in the process) and plunge the franchise into a situation where we have no QB. 

Didnt say we handled it right even though i was ready to move on from DC. Josh did very little right. The Raiders do very little right. But the Carr handling is probably not even top 3 situations Im still upset about as a Raider fan. Im still sick about what went down with Khalil Mack, he was actually a HOF worthy player. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I hope the Saints do well this year.

They should be good but i kinda cant help but root for the continued stellar play of Mayfield, im a sucker for redemption stories and he has played well since being casted aside. It makes it better when you see who replaced him in Cleveland and how that guy is playing now. 

• Like 3