Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I don't know if Brandon Staley would be a good DC or not, but he has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.  It's Adam Gase level.  I just don't want to have to see that dude's stupid face or hear his voice on a regular basis.

Underrated comment. If football is supposed to be fun, there’s nothing fun about cheering for a guy with a face like that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Wonder if Packers have booked a hotel suite in Baltimore for Monday to interview Weaver and Hewitt.

I would hope so.  Seems LaFleur would want to talk to a handful on candidates yet.  The ravens guys are worth a chat, as is Leonhard if he's still interested in coaching again and isn't too deep in LaFleur's doghouse. 

After thinking about it, I'm calling BS on the Parker rumors.

The NFL has a very traditional and rules orientated process of interview and hiring practices so therefore it is predictable.

Green Bay are a traditionally run and classy organisation. They don't do weird things, they're boring and by the book, they follow and respect the rules and trust their internal processes.

NFL teams hire head coaches and coordinators after a second interview and there has been no chatter of us doing second interviews with any of our known coaching candidates.

Not only that, only four candidates have been known to be interviewed so far. That is no way thorough enough for Green Bay. They would do their due diligence by turning over every rock, proceed to second interviews and then make the hire.

If they do suddenly hire someone then I can only think of one scenario, that some point during the season Barry and LaFleur got together and agreed amicably to part ways at the end of season but also gave LaFleur his blessing to have an early head start with the interview process (presumably after the regular season) so they are actually much further along the interview process than we all thought. The only problem I have with this is it would've surely have been leaked, not by us but from other teams and agents. You can't hide that. Since there has been no leaks we can rule this scenario out and continue to call BS on the Parker rumors.

When a team want an interview I believe they (out of respect) ask for the team's permission first and then they must submit an interview request with the NFL which is then passed on to the relevant team to formalise the process. The NFL list all interviews requests on their website and whether it is scheduled or completed:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-gm-tracker-latest-news-interviews-developments-in-2024-hiring-cycle

The Packers only have two names on their list, Babich and Parker. I assume they are face to face interview requests and they don't count zoom interview requests. There's no sign of it being scheduled or completed. It doesn't appear they are that far along their interview process.

Edit: It's possible the list may not be up to date. Rapoport, who works for NFL network and NFL.com, has said we HAVE interviewed Parker (26th). Garafolo who works for NFL network has said we only submitted an interview request for Babich (26th). Schefter has said we were meeting Staley (26th) so that must've been a zoom interview otherwise he would be on the list. ESPN Todd Archer said we asked for permission to interview Durte (26th).

All these tweets were made on the same day just two days after Barry was fired. My god it only been four days...we definitely have not made a job offer to Christian Parker. That would be so unPacker-like of us.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

Some interesting feedback in the Broncos forum regarding Parker. They obviously think highly of him.

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Parker's the shining star in our D group for sure.   Fingers crossed he stays.

15 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

He has done a great job with our secondary and coached under some great DCs. I think the majority of us would probably prefer to promote him and lose Vance Joseph than the other way around. 

Edited by Mazrimiv

One thing I also would love to see is a house cleaning of the defensive staff. I'm pretty sure both Pettine and Barry had to keep a large portion of the staff that was already here. I have no problem with retaining some of them, but I'd almost want them almost re interviewed and decide if they fit the new staff.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that the report that Parker has been offered the job was likely an overreaction to something the blogger had heard. None of the Packers beat writers or other bloggers have verified it. That's not to say Parker isn't a favorite to get the job. I suspect MLF has had his fill of "experienced defensive coordinators" and is looking for someone with some new ideas.

If Evero does not land the Seattle's HC gig and Carolina decides to part ways with him then he has lots of options.

Become a DC for whomever Seattle hires, he could go back to McVay as Rams DC, he could go to Atlanta and join Morris, or go to sunny Miami and inherit Fangio's defence or he could finally get the Packers DC gig.

Problem with this is that Evero will remember that LaFleur turned him down three years ago and he may choose to go elsewhere where he is wanted.

Too many things need to go our way in order to get Evero here. The odds are not good.

Similarly with Anthony Weaver. He's completely ingrained within LaFleur's circle - Shanahan, McDaniel, Saleh, Pettine. They all know each other. He will be bringing knowledge of the Ravens defence with him too which is a very attractive proposition. If he does not land the Washington HC gig and that Baltimore does not reach the superbowl then he will also have lots of options as DC.

Become a DC for whomever Washington hires, Baltimore if McDonald leaves, whatever team McDonald joins, Atlanta, Miami and Green Bay. Again lot of things need to go our way if we want him.

Together the odds are good we might land one of them but we need the domino to fall elsewhere first and that requires patience. If we don't want to wait then we should go all in on.....

....Babich. He's the 3rd best DC prospect imo. He's freely available right now but we face strong competition for him from Buffalo, Giants and Miami.

We would have to be extremely unlucky if we fail to get one of them so Christian Parker I imagine would finally come into play.

All three will want to build their own staff and competition for their services will drive up their salaries. Can the Packers compete?

However with Parker we get to retain our staff and at a lower salary. He knows LaFleur and familar with Pettine/Fangio schemes. On top of that if he ever end up as head coach we will get extra draft picks!

Surely not....It would be so typical of us wouldn't it? 🤣

Edited by Chili

18 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think it's fair to say that the report that Parker has been offered the job was likely an overreaction to something the blogger had heard. None of the Packers beat writers or other bloggers have verified it. That's not to say Parker isn't a favorite to get the job. I suspect MLF has had his fill of "experienced defensive coordinators" and is looking for someone with some new ideas.

Yeah, just some joker jumping the guy probably.  I haven't heard one quality source back it up yet. 

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

If Evero does not land the Seattle's HC gig and Carolina decides to part ways with him then he has lots of options.

He could go back to McVay as Rams DC, he could go to Atlanta and join Morris, or go to sunny Miami and inherit Fangio's defence or he could finally get the Packers DC gig.

Problem with this is that Evero will remember that LaFleur turned him down three years ago and he may choose to go elsewhere where he is wanted.

Too many things need to go our way in order to get Evero here. The odds are not good.

Similarly with Anthony Weaver. He's completely ingrained within LaFleur's circle - Shanahan, McDaniel, Saleh, Pettine. They all know each other. He will be bringing knowledge with him of the Ravens defence too which is a very attractive proposition. If he does not land the Washington HC gig and that Baltimore does not reach the superbowl then he will also have lots of options as DC.

Baltimore if McDonald leaves, Atlanta, Miami and Green Bay. Again lot of things need to go our way if we want him.

Together the odds are good we might land one of them but we need the domino to fall elsewhere first and that requires patience. If we don't want to wait then we should go all in on.....

....Babich. He's the 3rd best DC prospect imo. He's freely available right now but we face strong competition for him from Buffalo, Giants and Miami.

We would have to be extremely unlucky if we fail to get one of them so Christian Parker I imagine would finally come into play.

All three will want to build their own staff and competition for their services will drive up their salaries. Can the Packers compete?

However with Parker we get to retain our staff and at a lower salary. He knows LaFleur and familar with Pettine/Fangio defences. On top of that if he ever end up as head coach we will get extra draft picks!

Surely not....It would be so typical of us wouldn't it? 🤣

I seem to recall reading an interview a couple years back where Eviro kind of mentioned not liking the weather in GB or something to that effect.  Not sure it would keep him from coming back to GB, but sure might pick LA over GB if it came down to similar offers.  He's probably staying put in Carolina anyway.

Perhaps an offer is extended but Parker has to see if he could build a staff first or negotiate what staff positions he gets to fill.   Show us you can build a competent staff to fulfill your vision and the job is yours.    Maybe not easy for a 32yr old new DC to get experienced people to jump ship and follow him to GB.   The Fangio's and Quinn's of the world have such a huge connection it can't be hard to say if you hire me I'm bringing X Y and Z with me.  The snot-nosed brat, not so much

-Just spitballin'

7 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Perhaps an offer is extended but Parker has to see if he could build a staff first or negotiate what staff positions he gets to fill.   Show us you can build a competent staff to fulfill your vision and the job is yours.    Maybe not easy for a 32yr old new DC to get experienced people to jump ship and follow him to GB.   The Fangio's and Quinn's of the world have such a huge connection it can't be hard to say if you hire me I'm bringing X Y and Z with me.  The snot-nosed brat, not so much

I'm not sure I follow.  How would Parker possibly build a new staff for a job he doesn't officially have?  Would he just throw some names out there and GB would decide whether they liked them?

Besides, I expect Parker already knows the majority of the current GB staff and would simply want to retain them.  That's probably part of the reason he got the DC interview in the first place.

• Like 1