Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

I knew nothing about him until I saw that OSU interview. It was obvious to me in that interview that he preferred the NFL.

I think it's a miracle the coaches on any teams that are the caliber of BC can muster enough genuine gumption knowing your team has no realistic shot to win a meaningful postseason game.

It's more than a 'plausible' theory that he prefers the "football" life - he literally said it was the best thing that happened to him (coaching in the NFL).

I'm not sure there's much useful data we can glean from his time at Boston College.

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Do you guys remember when MM transitioned from 4-3 to 3-4, and what a primary reason expressed was?  I remember thinking that 3-4 was about getting better pass rush.  But MM's rationale was getting better run defense.  Not sure Packers have run it lately like MM originally envisioned, but his original conception was that they'd have 5 guys on the line instead of 4, by counting the OLB.  That this would better protect against runners getting around the corner.  And that the spacing between guys could be smaller, so the running gaps would be narrowed. 

I think the switch also had to do with available talent and what the rest of the league was doing. Being in the minority scheme allowed you to draft good fits later. Iirc

• Like 6

Just now, incognito_man said:

just because it's something negative doesn't mean it's not a bad take

I’m willing to hear criticism, but not from the bloggers at SB Nation. Fan blogs mean little to me. Every single one of them is insanely biased. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, R T said:

Lol, no one here wants to hear anything except that he is the Savior for GB right now.  

Or...

This isn't the 80s and BC isn't a relevant football program. Going 22-26 in 4 seasons, with 3 technically bowl eligible seasons, is what they should hope for. The writer (and I use that term loosely) sounds like a scorned ex-lover. Hafley knows ball. What's more likely the problem here? That Jeff Hafley sucks as a coach or that Boston College is a middling program?

• Like 2

Just now, Isherwood said:

I’m willing to hear criticism, but not from the bloggers at SB Nation. Fan blogs mean little to me. Every single one of them is insanely biased. 

it's the equivalent of someone quoting statking on here, turning it into an article, and then linking to it as though it gives it validity now for some reason.

that was just something to laugh at, and we laughed at it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Or...

This isn't the 80s and BC isn't a relevant football program. Going 22-26 in 4 seasons, with 3 technically bowl eligible seasons, is what they should hope for. The writer (and I use that term loosely) sounds like a scorned ex-lover. Hafley knows ball. What's more likely the problem here? That Jeff Hafley sucks as a coach or that Boston College is a middling program?

Previous coach was about .500 in the prior span of years.

7 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think the switch also had to do with available talent and what the rest of the league was doing. Being in the minority scheme allowed you to draft good fits later. Iirc

that and times have certainly changed.

the line between 3-4 and 4-3 is so ******* blurry at this point considering everyones running majority 2 DL.

• Like 2

Boston universities seem to be better at science and math than football. No one should be surprised that pedagogy and machine learning based analytics cant help a roster of 2 star athletes overcome a roster of 4 and 5 star athletes. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Previous coach was about .500 in the prior span of years.

Jeff Hafley: 22-26 (.458)
Steve Addazio: 44-44 (.500)
Frank Spaziani: 22-29 (.431)
Jeff Jagodzinski: 20-8 (.714) - fired in 2008 because he interviewed with the Jets lol

They haven't been relevant in the modern era. What Hafley did is what their fans should expect. 

• Like 2