Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

12 minutes ago, MacReady said:

So excited.

Pettine I wasn’t thrilled with because he’d failed as a head coach and was still a 3-4 guy.

Barry I think me and Ray were the only two vocally disappointed while everyone else was cautiously optimistic and didn’t want to admit it was a stupid hire.

This one I am actually excited about.

Really? I recall most being pretty disappointed with Barry, especially after not getting Leonard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Barry I think me and Ray were the only two vocally disappointed while everyone else was cautiously optimistic and didn’t want to admit it was a stupid hire.

giphy.gif

Barry being the wrong choice (from beginning to end) was about as universally agreed upon on this board as we've seen in a long time.  

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

giphy.gif

Barry being the wrong choice (from beginning to end) was about as universally agreed upon on this board as we've seen in a long time.  

That’s how I recall it too. Some of us maybe tried to be positive about the the scheme he was supposed to operate as a way to cope with the pain.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Really? I recall most being pretty disappointed with Barry, especially after not getting Leonard.

Probably accurate, all I remember was Ray and I were the two most pissy about it. Probably because Ray and I never agree on everything, so when we agree I remember it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craig said:

"Definitely he brings that energy, and he’s super-smart, super-detailed. I think he’s going to do a great job."  

“When we were at Boston College, we definitely were an aggressive defense,” McDuffie said. “We did a lot of pressures, a lot of creative things to try to make the quarterback uncomfortable."

If that's true, we actually might in fact have our own Robert Saleh 2.0 here.

34 minutes ago, MacReady said:

So excited.

Pettine I wasn’t thrilled with because he’d failed as a head coach and was still a 3-4 guy.

Yeah I mean ... I have to admit with Pettine I sorta was excited because I grew tired of what felt like a constantly predictable long in the tooth Capers that I was too eager for him to get booted.  Unfortunately, Pettine didn't really improve it much.

I definitely didn't drink the Barry coolaid, especially when looking at his past track record.  Granted, after that 2021 playoff game where we allowed no offensive TDs, I thought maybe we had finally hacked it.  But 2022 he definitely went back to being the guy we all thought he was.

Hafley I really didn't know what to make of, but I liked the idea of going outside the box, and after hearing what some players are already saying about him, I actually think this is going to be quite a home run if not a grand slam hire.

If Hafley is truly going to run the same defense, we are in desperate need for new safeties.  Luckily enough, we have about zero invested in the position right now.  The story is, he likes to play single high most of the time.  That is going to require a fast centerfielder type.  I am not exactly sure where we find that guy.  There are some FA safeties, do they fit the role, and can we afford them?  On the flip-side, there seem to be quite a few box safety types available in the draft, and we are going to need one of those also.

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If Hafley is truly going to run the same defense, we are in desperate need for new safeties.  Luckily enough, we have about zero invested in the position right now.  The story is, he likes to play single high most of the time.  That is going to require a fast centerfielder type.  I am not exactly sure where we find that guy.  There are some FA safeties, do they fit the role, and can we afford them?  On the flip-side, there seem to be quite a few box safety types available in the draft, and we are going to need one of those also.

Let the Damarius Randall renaissance begin. Joking aside, he would have been much better in that role than trying to make him a boundary corner. Don’t get me started on Josh Jones, either.

Well, good safeties are about as rare as good tight ends, so you expect to see a lot of misses.  The fact that they're not going to be looking for "do-it-all" safeties means they can target specific skill sets- the single high safety doesn't need to be as good a tackler as the alley safety, and the latter doesn't need to be as rangey.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:42 PM, craig said:

Do you guys remember when MM transitioned from 4-3 to 3-4, and what a primary reason expressed was?  I remember thinking that 3-4 was about getting better pass rush.  But MM's rationale was getting better run defense.  Not sure Packers have run it lately like MM originally envisioned, but his original conception was that they'd have 5 guys on the line instead of 4, by counting the OLB.  That this would better protect against runners getting around the corner.  And that the spacing between guys could be smaller, so the running gaps would be narrowed. 

This is not a good look for MM honestly. Also not sure this was his decision, more of an organizational thing - less 3/4 teams means you might be able to get Edge rushers later in the draft. It honestly might be the opposite now. Plus pretty much everyone we've drafted on defense in the past 2/3 years should be able to  play both. We currently probably have the deepest and most versatile front in the league, so we better use it. Also you can't tell me that Gute isn't telling MLF to make sure his DC will put Jaire on an island. Seattle made the NFL think you need to play quarters, but Denver and everybody else showed Rodgers and GB that if dudes aren't capable of beating man single high - you're pretty much dead in the water. 

10 hours ago, MacReady said:

So excited.

I was the exact opposite. I never thought Barry was much, even at the time of the hire, along with many others.........BUT I really did like Pettine. Maybe I was too influenced by the Rex Ryan quote that "He is the smartest guy in the room - and I don't care who else is in that room".

I was not worried by Pettine having failed as a head coach because of the 'Peter Principle' (the idea that people keep getting promoted because they are good at what they do....until they reach a level where they are not up to the task, where they often tend to stay).  It took me a long time to admit he wasn't all that good as DC in Green Bay.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, good safeties are about as rare as good tight ends, so you expect to see a lot of misses.  The fact that they're not going to be looking for "do-it-all" safeties means they can target specific skill sets- the single high safety doesn't need to be as good a tackler as the alley safety, and the latter doesn't need to be as rangey.

It's going to cost us 5 mil for Savage whether he stays or we cut him, so I expect Savage will be the FS, he and Ford, maybe Ford starts, and Owens had about 80 tackles, none obviously impress us very much, but neither is complete trash either., plus the 6th round rookie could/should take a leap.

• Like 1