Will the Ravens ever win the Superbowl with Lamar Jackson?

Slingin' Sammy

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I agree, and I don’t understand it besides JA being the last Great White Hope. The amount of slobbering he gets for losing to Mahomes in the playoffs is truly incredible 

He’s been getting killed all year for throwing picks and making boneheaded plays. I saw more people in the media questioning Josh Allen this year than ever before. 

I don't think this forum would've survived those early Peyton Manning years where he was winning MVP's but couldn't do anything in the playoffs.

Lamar is what he is I think at this point, which is just not a good playoff QB. I think he puts too much pressure on himself to perform and can't just take the easy plays/throws, and wants to play too much hero ball and prove people wrong. That's why I think he doesn't throw short and that's why I think he doesn't just utilize his legs immediately on plays where teams lock up in man coverage.

People saying there's a "blueprint" or something are completely ignoring that Houston ran this exact same "blueprint" last week against Lamar and in the 2nd half, when teh gameplan actually changed and Monken made adjustments, Lamar crushed Houston. This week, Monken kept calling straight shotgun drops and trying to rely on Zay Flowers, Bateman and Isaiah Likely and Nelson Agholor to somehow win their 1v1's against a defense that is known for locking up WR's. I don't really know how that's Lamar's fault.

Furthermore, even the INT he threw was blatant DPI that just wasn't called. The safety tackles Isaiah Likely as he's trying to come back for the ball.

But I digress - in conclusion - Lamar has 4 TD's and 5 INT's in his 4 playoff losses. He averages 10ppg in those losses. Clearly when Baltimore loses, they lose embarassingly bad because their offense doesn't do anything. However, in 2019 and yesterday, I would squarely pin the blame on the coordinator moreso than the QB. Baltimore led the league in rushing and was the most balanced team in the NFL and came out against KC and ran the ball EIGHT TIMES (6 to RB's) against a team that just allowed 185 rushing yards to Buffalo and was without Willie Gay Jr. They seriously just tried to play "we're better than you" ball with Bateman, Agholor and a backup TE against All-Pro secondary players. It doesn't make sense. Todd Monken set this offense up for failure and refused to adjust when adjustments were needed. Yes, Lamar played badly as well but we can't also ignore the fact that:

1. Zay Flowers' fumble took 7 points off the board
  2. The DPI that wasn't called on the Likely INT took at least 3 points off the board

That right there ties the game. So even despite everything going on, Lamar still made plays that kept them in that game.

TL;DR --> Yes, but until he learns to take what's given to him and until he's got a coordinator who can take the pressure off of Lamar, these same showings are bound to happen.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s been getting killed all year for throwing picks and making boneheaded plays. I saw more people in the media questioning Josh Allen this year than ever before. 

Well yeah he had a pretty bad year by his standards, his first game he threw three picks to the same player lol. But then he went on that win streak at the end of the year and everybody was back on the bandwagon, despite him personally not playing all that impressively. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't think this forum would've survived those early Peyton Manning years where he was winning MVP's but couldn't do anything in the playoffs.

Didn’t this forum exist back then?

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This forum has been around since like 2002 or 2003. It was pretty rough on Peyton in 04 and 05 though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

idk, maybe. I didn't join until like 2008. If it was around in 2001 - 2004 I'd be really curious to know what people were saying about Manning during that period.

I mean even then Manning was largely known as a playoff choker, besides that one SB where he had the best defense in the playoffs. He usually lost when he had good statistical outputs, and won when he wasn’t statistically good. Very much a paradox, shows how much it’s a team sport .

• Like 1

I mean winning Super Bowls are hard. The 49ers in the 90s had stacked teams with one of the greatest to ever do it and only came away with one ring. Likewise with the Packers with Favre and Rodgers. The teams that consistently make the playoffs are the ones with the best chance to breakthrough to get it done. The Ravens should continue being in the playoff hunt for as long as Jackson is in his prime so they have a shot. Jackson isn't the first QB to have the label of being a playoff underperformer but it just takes one big run to overcome that reputation. 

I would guess that at some point the Ravens DO get it done and win the SB. 

54 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

The reason why this is funny is somehow, as great as Lamar Jackson is and how so many other QBs lack, Lamar Jackson is the only one who “still needs to prove himself”

He’s gotten further in the playoffs than Josh Allen. He’s gotten further in the playoffs than almost any other starting QB in the league, but he’s the only one where this is the narrative.

He hasn’t gotten further than Josh Allen, they’ve both capped at the AFCCG. Lamar has never had a playoff performance close to what Josh did in 2021. 

Winning a super bowl is tough to do. But Lamar isn't the problem in Baltimore. Certainly wasn't the issue yesterday. Todd Monken's PASS EVERY DOWN game plan was. Also, stupid penalties they committed throughout the game didn't help.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1