The "Just Say Yes" Bowl

HeresAGuy

Unless you want to argue non-calls, the refs simply didn't throw enough flags to impact the outcome very much.  I remember one early(ish) SF drive where multiple penalties killed it, and then the 3rd and long defensive holding call against KC that kept the SF drive alive in OT.  Other than that, I can't think of where penalties impacted the game very much.  The lack of holding calls against both team's OL and secondary was probably the biggest impact, and I think that was more or less a wash.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless you want to argue non-calls, the refs simply didn't throw enough flags to impact the outcome very much.  I remember one early(ish) SF drive where multiple penalties killed it, and then the 3rd and long defensive holding call against KC that kept the SF drive alive in OT.  Other than that, I can't think of where penalties impacted the game very much.  The lack of holding calls against both team's OL and secondary was probably the biggest impact, and I think that was more or less a wash.

The intentional grounding on Mahomes was bad, IMO. The receiver seemed to be pretty clearly in the area. That call pretty much killed a drive in the 1st quarter. On the whole a pretty clean game from the refs unless, like you said, you want to dissect some of the non-calls (ie. holding).

Edited by Lodestar
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The NBA is definitely bad for the “star whistle” and don’t get me started on the 2001 Bucks team getting tons more calls than the 6ers. It’s hard to prove but there can be really egregious examples of lopsided officiating and that is where the skepticism comes in. 

I think the most reasonable version of the "fixing games" conspiracy is not that any league desires one team or the other to win (at least in most cases), just that they want the games to be close

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

The intentional grounding on Mahomes was bad, IMO. The receiver seemed to be pretty clearly in the area. That call pretty much killed a drive in the 1st quarter. On the whole a pretty clean game from the refs unless, like you said, you want to dissect some of the non-calls (ie. holding).

There was also the "genius" play pointed out where Bosa (?) only lightly slapped Mahomes helmet. 

37 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Yeah, I forgot about that one.  It was bad.

31 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I think the most reasonable version of the "fixing games" conspiracy is not that any league desires one team or the other to win (at least in most cases), just that they want the games to be close

I think this is definitely more of an issue with "series" playoff sports. I've heard dozens of players in the NBA especially talking about how the toughest games to win are closeout games because "You know." Extra games equals extra money. The NFL doesn't have that particular issue. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

If we were looking at refs in this conspiracy, it definitely seemed like the 9ers got the most benefit out of the questionable calls.  Think there were a couple of holds they could have called on KC near the end, but they were sorta letting them play at that point. 

How about the Kyle J “catch” on the sidelines that at the very least should have warranted a review? That went in the Niners favor too. I didn’t see too much that went in KC’s favor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like it's easy to see the seams in professional wrestling that indicate it is a work, the main one being how often wrestlers will kill time in order to allow both performers to recover or to wait while something else is set up.  Like there are times that a wrestler will deliver a big move and their opponent will lie there motionless on the mat for like 30 seconds, during which the match could easily end, but it just doesn't because it's not supposed to end there.

Another one is that the referee is nowhere near consistent in counting 10 seconds when a performer is outside the ring, since the "countout" rule is artifice to create drama not an actual rule.  It's just that wrestling is in the carnival performer tradition, in which you don't generally share trade secrets with outsiders.c

What are you talking about? Solo and the Usos always showing up to bail out Roman Reigns is the most organic thing ever.

• Like 1

It feels like the whole OT situation with 49ers not knowing OT rules is being overblown, but maybe that's just me. It's more embarrassing for the players admitting they didn't know. I'm just a fan and I was aware of the Playoffs rules.

Would it really have made a difference? The 49ers got their FG in OT and apparently all of the coaches were aware of the rules.

3 minutes ago, Eternal said:

It feels like the whole OT situation with 49ers not knowing OT rules is being overblown, but maybe that's just me. It's more embarrassing for the players admitting they didn't know. I'm just a fan and I was aware of the Playoffs rules.

Would it really have made a difference? The 49ers got their FG in OT and apparently all of the coaches were aware of the rules.

It's definitely something they should have been fully aware of.  Imagine SF scoring a TD on their OT drive, and part of their roster thinking they had just won the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's definitely something they should have been fully aware of.  Imagine SF scoring a TD on their OT drive, and part of their roster thinking they had just won the game.

Yes, that's definitely true, but at the same time it would have been hilarious for us fans.

• Like 1