What do the Broncos do at QB?

BroncoSojia

Say it with me ppl...

Famous.  Jameis. Winston.

(Stopgap vet, not a long-term solution)

2021 in NO with Payton as a starter before he went down with an ACL injury - 5-2, 14-3 TD:INT record, 7.3 YPA, 8.2 AYPA.   Pre-ACL, it was working.

Again, not the long-term solution - but he also should come cheaply.   Which fits with what really is a rebuild year for 2024, and be ready to be back in financial good health, and ready to truly look to the future, in 2025+.

It also wouldn't prevent Payton/Paton from looking for a young guy, but if you want the guy who actually fits the Payton O, he's the guy who doesn't need more time to get acclimated.

And he'll be hella fun both ways while he's playing - locker, interview, gunslinger oh-yes / gunslinger oh-no moments (which Payton can limit somewhat, but you're never taking them away completely with him lol).

He's 10x cheaper than Wilson, better for the system....and about 5-10x better than retreads like JimmyG.   Guys like Darnold offer the same kind of profile but also will take a while to learn Payton's system.  That's the kicker here.

I've already posted this in our DEN forum, but ll plant the flag here.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Say it with me ppl...

Famous.  Jameis. Winston.

(Stopgap vet, not a long-term solution)

He'd be a great option if it didn't seem like such a lock he returns to NOLA. He even restructured to make re-signing more appealing for them. He also seems to want to play for Atlanta, though.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/05/saints-free-agency-jameis-winston-pardon-my-take-falcons-sean-payton-broncos-quarterback/

Edited by nagahide13

53 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

He'd be a great option if it didn't seem like such a lock he returns to NOLA. He even restructured to make re-signing more appealing for them. He also seems to want to play for Atlanta, though.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/05/saints-free-agency-jameis-winston-pardon-my-take-falcons-sean-payton-broncos-quarterback/

He didn't restructure to stay, it was a voidable year created to push the cap hit back so they could be cap compliant for 2023.  He's headed to UFA.

Given how the final play TD in the end of the season that Dennis Allen didn't want them to score on, where Jameis said "I made a team call" (LOL that entertaining part I'm referring to), I'm guessing Winston & Allen don't see eye to eye.   That's why he's shopping himself around to possible destinations (DEN, ATL, NE & 1 other spot were named in the interview as "how do you like these cities, no reason why we're asking this Q" interview lol). 

Edited by Broncofan

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He didn't restructure to stay, it was a voidable year created to push the cap hit back so they could be cap compliant for 2023.  He's headed to UFA.

Given how the final play TD in the end of the season that Dennis Allen didn't want them to score on, where Jameis said "I made a team call" (LOL that entertaining part I'm referring to), I'm guessing Winston & Allen don't see eye to eye.   That's why he's shopping himself around to possible destinations (DEN, ATL, NE & 1 other spot were named in the interview as "how do you like these cities, no reason why we're asking this Q" interview lol). 

I could see him reuniting with Payton in Denver or signing with Atlanta as a stop gap. The TD at the end of the game while in victory formation made me LOL. Even more so because it was against the hated Falcons. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I don't think Winston cares about cap compliance. HE restructured to make a return more possible. We'll know before March!

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/06/saints-restructure-jameis-winston-contract-2024-season-post-june-1-cut/

This gives the Saints some short-term financial flexibility and expands their negotiating window to work on a new extension with Winston if both sides are up for it. They’ll each explore their options in the months ahead before making a decision, but this gives them a couple of paths forward where previously there was just one.

I never once heard Winston say " I made a team call". If we think that the "team call" shows discord in the relationship then Dennis Allen has problems with at least 3/4 of his offense. Jameis pretty consistently called it a "team decision". He didn't say it was a personal call. I don't think there's really anything there. That move, if anything, ingratiated Jameis MORE with the team. (players)

Edited by nagahide13

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't think Winston cares about cap compliance. HE restructured to make a return more possible. We'll know before March!

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/06/saints-restructure-jameis-winston-contract-2024-season-post-june-1-cut/

I never once heard Winston say " I made a team call". If we think that the "team call" shows discord in the relationship then Dennis Allen has problems with at least 3/4 of his offense. Jameis pretty consistently called it a "team decision". He didn't say it was a personal call. I don't think there's really anything there. That move, if anything, ingratiated Jameis MORE with the team.

It's not a question - his years voided.  He's a 2024 FA.   

https://overthecap.com/player/jameis-winston/3849

And if you don't want to take the main source, take it from the beat reporters from the Saints themselves:

Honestly, let's move on.

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

What about anything I've said makes you think I don't understand that his contract is up? Why would I be talking about pathways to re-sign him if he weren't a FA?

So you think he's a lock to stay at NO after that season-ending play, Dennis Allen passing over starting him over a clearly unable-to-play-well Derek Carr on at least 1 , if not 2 weeks?  To be a backup?   

It's no coincidence that Winston is already on the interview circuit.  There's a reason why the players get out there, and it's not to re-sign as a backup.   TBH, thinking he'd be under contract would be a better scenario in which he stays in NO.   Winston could definitely go elsewhere, but staying in NO as a backup would be the last possibility IMO.

But, if you think he's a lock to stay in NO, ok.  I don't see it, but we're entitled to disagree.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

So you think he's a lock to stay at NO after that season-ending play, Dennis Allen passing over starting him over a clearly unable-to-play-well Derek Carr on at least 1 , if not 2 weeks?  To be a backup?   

It's no coincidence that Winston is already on the interview circuit.  There's a reason why the players get out there, and it's not to re-sign as a backup.   TBH, thinking he'd be under contract would be a better scenario in which he stays in NO.   Winston could definitely go elsewhere, but staying in NO would be the last possibility IMO.

He's done it three years in a row already knowing he was going to be the backup. I don't have any idea why... I kind of assume he just loves the city.

I don't see it, but we're entitled to disagree.   

Totally!