What do the Broncos do at QB?

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

I think Sean Payton wants his choice and the Broncos draft a guy.

Unless they move way up they’ll likely get a vet as a 1-year bridge.    The Payton O is a bear for a rookie to step into and start year 1.   

In this case I don’t think it’s either/or.  I think we will see a vet bridge.  And then a draft rookie.  But it may be a project in R3+ given said learning curve.  Like a Michael Pratt.  Who interviewed 2x with DEN scouts at the Senior Bowl.   That would allow them to go back all-in for 2025 if Pratt didn’t progress.    

Basically any scenario could play out but yes a rookie is likely ALONG with a vet bridge.   That vet likely would be cheap though because it wouldn’t be more than a 2024 assignment (+/- cheap 2025 option as the backup).    So keep that in mind.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Post combine bump.

With the recent rumors that 4 QBs could be going in the top 6, the Broncos could be SOL, unless they like Nix, Penix or any of the other lesser prospects. With our draft situation and little to no cap space to spend on a veteran in FA, things are looking bleak at the moment. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Post combine bump.

With the recent rumors that 4 QBs could be going in the top 6, the Broncos could be SOL, unless they like Nix, Penix or any of the other lesser prospects. With our draft situation and little to no cap space to spend on a veteran in FA, things are looking bleak at the moment. 

i got my eye on you, Denver....

stay out of our way.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm guessing you're a huge fan of JJ McCarthy?

yes. Daniels at first, but then everyone went wild about him and he moved up to #2 or #3, so too expensive for us. so McC became a more viable choice.

but now he's moving up too.

I'm going to continue to keep trying to manifest Sam Howell into happening for the Broncos.

It's not the "sexy" option...but i think there are a lot of reasons that it makes sense.  I'd personally kind of like to see it.  I think it could be fun.

1) The Broncos may very likely be out of luck when it comes to the top guys in the draft.  And Nix/Penix/Rattler is...not any better imo.  Have to remember, Howell is the same age as Rattler and younger than both of Nix and Penix.  But he's got a year in the NFL world on the bench plus another year of passing for nearly 4000 yards under his belt already.  That's potentially huge in terms of adjustment window.

2) Sean Payton didn't sign on for a "rebuild".  That ain't him.  He's going to want to compete, right away.  That's the direction they're headed, whether successful or not.

3) Howell is on an absolutely dirt cheap contract, which would pretty much fully counterbalance what they'll be paying in dead money on the Russ misadventure.  Also likely to cost less than other alternatives in terms of acquisition price.  I can't imagine the Washington's would even ask a huge amount for him.  Even if it's his bud Maye coming in, i think WAS would probably prefer to have an established veteran mentor and backup in place rather than a guy like Howell.  They've got a billion in cap space to spend on a guy like Brissett or whoever they want too.  So it's basically a "free asset" for Howell, whatever they can get.  This is big for Denver so they can afford to go out and improve the team in other areas still.

4) Sam Howell feels like such a perfect fit for Payton to work with (and vice versa).  He's a smaller QB but with a seriously live arm, a bit of a gunslinger mentality, and huge competitiveness (the dude is an absolute tough as nails gamer).  Sound a bit like anyone else Payton ever caught on with as a castoff from another team? 

Like Brees, Howell didn't work out for a team that's now got a top pick in the draft and they're not wrong to move on themselves.  But that doesn't mean Howell is trash.  Again, the guy tossed the ball with very little functional support last year for ~4000 yards and 20+ TDs last year as effectively a first year starter (in a less than full season).  He's got a ton of talent. 

He's got problems too.  He clearly didn't get a lot of support, but he also has some turnover problems that need fixed (so did Brees tbh).  Howell also takes a ton of brutal hits.  But in both elements, i think that's where Payton is one of the definitive experts in how to get the most out of a shorter gunslinger like that who absolutely needs a clean interior pocket and needs to be given lanes to see and throw through as was always prioritized with Brees.

Just feels like a shot at catching "lightning in a bottle" twice to me.  Which...honestly...what better options do the Broncos really likely have?  Worst case?  It goes terribly and they're stuck with no financial burden and can pivot to a QB within reach in next year's draft.

I say do it, you cowards!  Make it happen!

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 6:20 PM, Broncofan said:

There's 3 reasons he's almost certainly going to be a starter for 2024:

1.  QB landscape is that bad.

2.  Wilson's 2024 salary is fully guaranteed - and it has offset language.   So any $ he makes would go to DEN, not him.   Wilson's a lot of things, but he's no idiot.  He's not going to do anything but take a vet-min 2024 salary (he may get something that allows him to get 2025+ $, but as little 2024 $ as possible).  This  means he can go where he can start.   $ isn't really going to be a deciding factor.

3.  #2 means that cap-tight teams can make a pitch for Wilson.   They can also still look to the draft for future guys.  

Ideally for both the team and Wilson, it's a run-heavy team that doesn't need him to throw the ball over the middle or throw to spots (he literally can't do either well).   And can protect him, as he doesn't have the same escapability he did in his peak SEA years (but unfortunately still thinks he has it, which leads to sacks that are more on him than the OL once it's past 3+ secs of protection).

Add it up, he's starting somewhere in 2024; at worst he's competing with the edge (PIT?) for 1 year.   The real Q is whether anyone is going to offer 2025+ money for the chance to have them start for him.  It's one thing to take a free shot for 2024, to commit even 10M of 2025+ to him would be a massive mistake IMO.

This is where my bet for Russ starting is with Pittsburgh.  It just fits.

-They just made the playoffs with virtually no passing game or even remotely competent QB to speak of.  Happy to just lean on the run game and defense with a few shot plays here and there.

-Tomlin doesn't seem like the type to shy away from the "challenge" of getting a veteran with a bit of a reputation like Russ to "buy in" and "fall in line".

-Cheap cap $$$ and free acquisition cost let's Steelers continue to just replenish and retain talent.

Also...Pittsburgh are so far out of range of the top QBs in the draft...they're basically left weighing the "immediate impact" of a guy like Wilson vs...Nix/Penix/Rattler.  Where...i don't really see that balancing out in favor of the rookies if you want to make a playoff push this year.  Even if there's potentially a little more long-term stability or even small "upside" there.  How much longer is Tomlin even planning to be there anyway?

Also really satisfies things from Russell's end.  Hard to imagine him walking into a better situation to try to rehabilitate his reputation and get back to going out and trying to win games.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm going to continue to keep trying to manifest Sam Howell into happening for the Broncos.

It's not the "sexy" option...but i think there are a lot of reasons that it makes sense.  I'd personally kind of like to see it.  I think it could be fun.

1) The Broncos may very likely be out of luck when it comes to the top guys in the draft.  And Nix/Penix/Rattler is...not any better imo.  Have to remember, Howell is the same age as Rattler and younger than both of Nix and Penix.  But he's got a year in the NFL world on the bench plus another year of passing for nearly 4000 yards under his belt already.  That's potentially huge in terms of adjustment window.

2) Sean Payton didn't sign on for a "rebuild".  That ain't him.  He's going to want to compete, right away.  That's the direction they're headed, whether successful or not.

3) Howell is on an absolutely dirt cheap contract, which would pretty much fully counterbalance what they'll be paying in dead money on the Russ misadventure.  Also likely to cost less than other alternatives in terms of acquisition price.  I can't imagine the Washington's would even ask a huge amount for him.  Even if it's his bud Maye coming in, i think WAS would probably prefer to have an established veteran mentor and backup in place rather than a guy like Howell.  They've got a billion in cap space to spend on a guy like Brissett or whoever they want too.  So it's basically a "free asset" for Howell, whatever they can get.  This is big for Denver so they can afford to go out and improve the team in other areas still.

4) Sam Howell feels like such a perfect fit for Payton to work with (and vice versa).  He's a smaller QB but with a seriously live arm, a bit of a gunslinger mentality, and huge competitiveness (the dude is an absolute tough as nails gamer).  Sound a bit like anyone else Payton ever caught on with as a castoff from another team? 

Like Brees, Howell didn't work out for a team that's now got a top pick in the draft and they're not wrong to move on themselves.  But that doesn't mean Howell is trash.  Again, the guy tossed the ball with very little functional support last year for ~4000 yards and 20+ TDs last year as effectively a first year starter (in a less than full season).  He's got a ton of talent. 

He's got problems too.  He clearly didn't get a lot of support, but he also has some turnover problems that need fixed (so did Brees tbh).  Howell also takes a ton of brutal hits.  But in both elements, i think that's where Payton is one of the definitive experts in how to get the most out of a shorter gunslinger like that who absolutely needs a clean interior pocket and needs to be given lanes to see and throw through as was always prioritized with Brees.

Just feels like a shot at catching "lightning in a bottle" twice to me.  Which...honestly...what better options do the Broncos really likely have?  Worst case?  It goes terribly and they're stuck with no financial burden and can pivot to a QB within reach in next year's draft.

I say do it, you cowards!  Make it happen!

I just don't think we're going to get rid of Sam. I know we're going QB at 2 but I would be shocked if its not some sort of competition between Maye/Daniels and Howell to start.