NFL Draft Talk (Mainly Titans)

KingTitan

I think the beauty of having an OL coach the caliber that we have is HE knows exactly what he wants in a LT, and is likely an excellent evaluator of the OL position by position. There were several reports that he gave the scouts/Ran an extremely detailed description of what he is looking for on the OL. I say that to say our draft board will probably reflect the disparity between LT 1&2 and the ones available mid 1st round, as well as the ones available on day 3. 

That's my long winded way of saying if we believe someone will be there with the traits to be a top end LT outside the top 7 we will follow the board and take the best available and if not we will take Alt or Fashanu. MHJ might be the only exception, if he somehow drops to 7 Ran might pull a hammy running to the podium...he would also probably open up trade possibilities, but he will be gone. 

Edited by Dr.Doom52

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I guess what I'm saying. 
What if you can get a Taylor Decker later in the 1st opposed to getting Tunsil/Stanley (2016 Draft).
Or

Tristan Wirfs at 13 instead of Andrew Thomas at 4. 

Something just makes me feel the "must" of taking OT at 7 isn't there, with this class and an OL Coach with a nice development history. 

I know what you mean, my favorite Tackle prospect is Amarius Mims, he reminds me of Tyron Smith he’s a animal. But I wouldn’t take him that high.

The Chargers worry me but I don't know how they could pass on Marvin Harrison Jr. if he is there. The Chargers also already have a good LT and need a RT (Latham maybe) 

With 4 QBs going before us most likely we are guaranteed MHJ, Alt, Odunze, or Nabers and I'd be happy with any of them. Only problem with going WR first is we would have to go tackle in 2nd and we still need some pieces on defense. I think we could also go Latham if Alt is gone but man do I want a LT and not have to think about it again for several years

1 hour ago, Justin615$ said:

The Chargers worry me but I don't know how they could pass on Marvin Harrison Jr. if he is there. The Chargers also already have a good LT and need a RT (Latham maybe) 

With 4 QBs going before us most likely we are guaranteed MHJ, Alt, Odunze, or Nabers and I'd be happy with any of them. Only problem with going WR first is we would have to go tackle in 2nd and we still need some pieces on defense. I think we could also go Latham if Alt is gone but man do I want a LT and not have to think about it again for several years

I can’t possibly believe that the Chargers, who have nothing at receiver, would pass on one of the top three receivers to draft a left tackle to park on the right side in a class that’s deep at right tackle. It would be an awful move on their part, even if MHJ isn’t there.

But I think it’s more likely that the fifth pick is JJ McCarthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

alt is becoming such a universal pick to the titans that i feel like it's not going to happen lol

Yeah it's too obvious now. Lol 

The script can't be that perfect 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I guess what I'm saying. 
What if you can get a Taylor Decker later in the 1st opposed to getting Tunsil/Stanley (2016 Draft).
Or

Tristan Wirfs at 13 instead of Andrew Thomas at 4. 

Something just makes me feel the "must" of taking OT at 7 isn't there, with this class and an OL Coach with a nice development history. 

Can you not play this game with literally every single position?

• Like 2

I believe that the Titans want to recoup a 3rd this year and will trade down from with the 1st or 2nd pick to do so. 

Dropping in the 2nd might be a far fall to get a 2nd and a 3rd. So from the top of the round to maybe late middle to bottom. 

I also feel like they will find a way to work to get a pick next year. Whether that be like a 4th or later since they gave up the 3rd for Sneed. 

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Can you not play this game with literally every single position?

Yep. So why not do it with OT. 

I mean we just saw it with KC. They trust their ability to draft corners. They have the secret recipe. 

So throwing out the scenario of what if they trust their ability (new staff) in finding OL. 

And what is this new group values skill position players more in early rounds. 

A lot of unknowns that I'm simply considering. 

In Cincy they drafted skill/premium positions (edge rusher, DB wr, QB) in the first every year outside of their first year and they took Jonah Williams. 

If Callahan believes a certain way I feel Ran will lean that way. Unless he is for sure in love with Alt. 

but anywho. Lol 

Yea you can do it with any position and I would think a good drafting team would analyze all that.

And I would be mad at the Titans if a team like the Broncos, raiders or Vikings offered a nice package to move up for a QB and they didn't at least consider it. 

They have to be prepared for that and think can we get what we want from OT not named Alt at pick 12. 

Why we can’t just take a developmental OT later: we need a Day 1 starter at left tackle. Someone will have to go out there and keep Levis from getting David Carr syndrome and being ruined immediately.

Why can’t our awesome OL coach just make someone better: because that’s not how coaching works. Developing a player into a plus pro requires both A.) a lot of talent on the part of that player, and B.) time.

Why not just trade down: go back to any draft class on Wikipedia and look where the pro bowlers and all pros come from. In almost every class that’s old enough for this to be relevant, like 7 of the first 9 will be pro bowl players. Then in the rest of the first round, there will be like 5 more, then they’ll be peppered through the rest. Your chances of getting a great player are way, way better amongst the blue chip prospects. It’s why they’re blue chips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Yep. So why not do it with OT. 

I mean we just saw it with KC. They trust their ability to draft corners. They have the secret recipe. 

So throwing out the scenario of what if they trust their ability (new staff) in finding OL. 

And what is this new group values skill position players more in early rounds. 

A lot of unknowns that I'm simply considering. 

In Cincy they drafted skill/premium positions (edge rusher, DB wr, QB) in the first every year outside of their first year and they took Jonah Williams. 

If Callahan believes a certain way I feel Ran will lean that way. Unless he is for sure in love with Alt. 

but anywho. Lol 

Yea you can do it with any position and I would think a good drafting team would analyze all that.

I honestly feel the same way, they cooking up something we have far too many holes that can’t be fixed in FA, & not enough draft capital. I feel we’re going to trade down & be picking somewhere between 11-17 & end up with a 2nd & possibly a 3rd. 

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Why we can’t just take a developmental OT later: we need a Day 1 starter at left tackle. Someone will have to go out there and keep Levis from getting David Carr syndrome and being ruined immediately.

Why can’t our awesome OL coach just make someone better: because that’s not how coaching works. Developing a player into a plus pro requires both A.) a lot of talent on the part of that player, and B.) time.

Why not just trade down: go back to any draft class on Wikipedia and look where the pro bowlers and all pros come from. In almost every class that’s old enough for this to be relevant, like 7 of the first 9 will be pro bowl players. Then in the rest of the first round, there will be like 5 more, then they’ll be peppered through the rest. Your chances of getting a great player are way, way better amongst the blue chip prospects. It’s why they’re blue chips.

All I'm saying is I believe they have more than one route to what we'd call an improved line. 
Nobody is saying the OL coach can make just anyone better. What I'm saying is that there is a possibility that he perhaps knows just a little more than what we do, in what it would take to be a successful OL in the NFL. 
With an OL draft that everyone, including out decision makers feel is an incredibly deep and talented draft, I don't know why we can't explore the option of not being chained to take the perceived best OT in the draft. 

Just thinking about another position and how we had the best RB in the game, Henry. We lost him and had Freeman and company that put together a productive running game. No it wasn't feared but it was good. 
As I poorly translate that to the OL, maybe we don't have the guy that gives up 1 sack in 4 seasons.  But a guy that gives up 2-3 sacks a year. Like Lewan who gave up a low of 2 but a high of 8 throughout his years.  And Lewan was the 3rd OT taken and 3rd ranked OT that year. And as so many people here have said they'd love to have another Lewan. 

And something I said earlier today and in the past. Maybe you see a route to having a good cohesive offensive line while also gaining another pick. I personally don't see why that is so sacrilegious to explore.  Yes it would be the best thing in the world to have the top rated guy at every position. But if the OT that can be had at 11 can be a great pro, with some tweaks and we can get another starter with a gained pick, then let's go.

I think it would be different if people thought there were only 7-10 highly rated players in the draft, but people are saying the top 50-100 starters can be found. 

While the forum's opinion may say these guys are developmental, that isn't the view of everyone.