NFL Draft Talk (Mainly Titans)

KingTitan

You can’t fix the whole roster in one go. I’d rather them focus on making every pick count than trying to thread the needle and gamble on maximizing value with trades.

i also think tackle is more valuable than WR. 

while both are valuable, great offensive linemen are a scarce. They’re really tough to develop due to the limited amount of practice time coaches have with them in the pros. Meanwhile there will likely be just as many star WRs in the next few years with the prevalence of 7 on 7. If they’re lucky enough to have their pick of tackles at #7 take your medicine and move on. 

• Like 2

Also as we rightfully sing the praises of Bill Callahan. It is important to note that his most recent 1st round LT pupil, Jedrick Wills, has been, at best, average for the browns despite high expectations. Wills was also a RT making the switch to LT. Callahan scouted and I would believe signed off on the wills pick. I don’t think we can assume anything.

would be a good experiment to look at how people spoke of Wills coming out of bama and see which current prospects he reminds people of.

• Like 1

I'm really thinking we will stick at 7 to pick. 

I go back and forth with whether it will be an OT or WR.  I think the top OT's aren't as slam dunk great as people think. They will be good pro's but I'm starting to feel like they will be more middle of the pack "Lewan-ish" than Top 5 in the league. 

I ask seriously, not trying to be jerk, but what's the difference between the best OT like Trent Williams and an good decent OT like Taylor Decker for the Lions. A couple more pressures?  I ask because I don't know. 

But I know what the difference is between Tyreek Hill and Chris Godwin. 

So, applying that to the draft. What's the difference between Troy Fautanu  and Olu Fashanu production wise? 
I remember it being mentioned the difference between Peter Skoronski and like a guard picked in the 3rd round wasn't that big. 

I just wonder does it matter to have the "Best" OT?   
Personally, I've also wondered do you have to have the best WR? I've always liked the approach of having multiple High B level players. So it's hard to single out one guy.

Just thoughts. 

• Like 1

I’ve been team WR at 7 the entire offseason and the way FA is shaping up I’m sticking with WR. I think the WR drop off is bigger than the OT drop off. Odunze/Nabers at 7 and the best tackle at 38 is what I’m hoping for. I like the potential T targets at 38 compared to McConkey most likely being the best option at 38.

Random thought: with the WR and T class being so deep what if we went in another direction in the first on a position that’s not as deep like a Dallas turner or Jared verse. We need help everywhere lol

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I go back and forth with whether it will be an OT or WR.  I think the top OT's aren't as slam dunk great as people think. They will be good pro's but I'm starting to feel like they will be more middle of the pack "Lewan-ish" than Top 5 in the league. 

I ask seriously, not trying to be jerk, but what's the difference between the best OT like Trent Williams and an good decent OT like Taylor Decker for the Lions. A couple more pressures?  I ask because I don't know. 

So, applying that to the draft. What's the difference between Troy Fautanu  and Olu Fashanu production wise? 
I remember it being mentioned the difference between Peter Skoronski and like a guard picked in the 3rd round wasn't that big. 

Personally, I've also wondered do you have to have the best WR? I've always liked the approach of having multiple High B level players. So it's hard to single out one guy.

Just thoughts. 

It's worth mentioning that both of those guys you refer to as "middle of the pack" were top 16 picks in the Draft. They weren't exactly mid-round prospects turned into good starting OTs. Like Hill and Godwin were, for example.

As far as I'm concerned, you take the best player available, I've said it and I will say it again. Sure, you factor in positional value, like I wouldn't necessarily draft a RB, S, non-rushing LB or perhaps iOL with a top 10 pick, but anyone else is fair game. If your board tells you there are no more top 10 prospects available at 7, you try your best to trade down. I don't want them to think about need when they make that selection, all I want is for them to believe they are drafting the player with the best chance of being an elite NFL player at his respective position. Whether that's a CB, WR, pass-rusher or T, I don't really mind.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

It's worth mentioning that both of those guys you refer to as "middle of the pack" were top 16 picks in the Draft. They weren't exactly mid-round prospects turned into good starting OTs. Like Hill and Godwin were, for example.

As far as I'm concerned, you take the best player available, I've said it and I will say it again. Sure, you factor in positional value, like I wouldn't necessarily draft a RB, S, non-rushing LB or perhaps iOL with a top 10 pick, but anyone else is fair game. If your board tells you there are no more top 10 prospects available at 7, you try your best to trade down. I don't want them to think about need when they make that selection, all I want is for them to believe they are drafting the player with the best chance of being an elite NFL player at his respective position. Whether that's a CB, WR, pass-rusher or T, I don't really mind.

Oh with that part of the post, I was just talking bout production, moreso than draft position. Just saying is there a very distinct difference between a OT performing like top 5 at their position vs a guy performing like top 15-20. Thats the question I was wondering. 

If we stay at 7, I don't see how we don't pick a legit player, OT or WR. The choices there are just plentiful.

It's the trade down where we have to think are we doing the right thing. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Oh with that part of the post, I was just talking bout production, moreso than draft position. Just saying is there a very distinct difference between a OT performing like top 5 at their position vs a guy performing like top 15-20. Thats the question I was wondering. 

If we stay at 7, I don't see how we don't pick a legit player, OT or WR. The choices there are just plentiful.

It's the trade down where we have to think are we doing the right thing. 

I know, which is why I thought it was telling that both those top 15-20 (arguably both are/were higher than that, but for argument's sake) players at their respective position were drafted 16th overall or higher. The chances of landing a "good maybe not necessarily elite, elite" starting T go lower and lower as you move out of the top 10, 20 and 1st round completely. In contrast, that is simply not the case for the WR position. You constantly find 2nd or mid-round picks turning into "good, but perhaps not quite elite" players in the league.

That being said, I do generally believe T > WR in terms of positional value regarding a high pick, but here I am mostly playing devil's advocate. If you think two good players > one great player, which is what I believe you were trying to say, it makes much more sense to go OT 1st and then WR 2nd.

• Like 1

My thought is what's the relative drop from LT 1&2 to say OT(R or L) 6-7, vs the drop from WR3(we know wr1 will be gone, possibly 2 as well) to WR 7-8. I think these are the guys we are looking at where we currently draft in the 1st and 2nd rounds. My initial thought is the WR will be more dependent on the QB to achieve their top potential, where the OT would be less dependent, but somewhat. 

I am on the side of getting the best value at our position of need. If no tackles are off the board and WR1 and 2 are gone take the tackle, if OUR top Tackle is gone but OUR WR2 is still there take the WR. If none of those three are there trade back(overall would prefer to trade back) or take our #1 guy left on the board unless that guy is a QB...because we need everything, maybe including a QB, but no QB this year. 

Obviously free agency will help clear this up, and hopefully JJ McCarthy and/or Bo Nix will continue to gain momentum and we can trade back to 11-13, and pick up a 2nd and 3rd, but  worst case a 3rd and 4th...if we can't do better than a 3rd and 4th I would stay at 7. Problem is people may want to get in front of the Giants to get a QB...so LAC may be in the best position for a trade back. 

4 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

My thought is what's the relative drop from LT 1&2 to say OT(R or L) 6-7, vs the drop from WR3(we know wr1 will be gone, possibly 2 as well) to WR 7-8. I think these are the guys we are looking at where we currently draft in the 1st and 2nd rounds. My initial thought is the WR will be more dependent on the QB to achieve their top potential, where the OT would be less dependent, but somewhat. 

That’s why I am hard on the OT over WR at 7 train. In my opinion, the drop from the tackle we get at 7 to the one we get at 38 is a way bigger drop than the one from WR.

Alt is the best we can hope for, but after him, I think Fashanu, Mims, and Fuaga are extremely close in talent. All look like high end starters at tackle imo.

In the second, it’s hard to say who’s going to be there. Best we can hope for is Jordan Morgan, but that seems unlikely. More likely is picking from Patrick Paul, Kingsley Suimataia, Blake Fisher, Roger Rosengarten, or Christian Jones, as there’s no real consensus on rankings after Morgan. I don’t think I would want any of those guys starting at left tackle Day 1.

For receiver, the drop from Nabers/Odunze to whoever is available at 38 seems a lot smaller.

I think Coleman is the best that we can hope for. But we are likely going to be choosing between Legette, McConkey, Walker, Polk, Burton, Baker, Corley, or Wilson depending on who you ask. McConkey and Legette are potentially starters imo. Legette is an upside guy who could be a future No. 1 receiver, and McConkey is a reliable, polished receiver who is athletic enough to play in the NFL.

• Like 1

I’m still torn on staying at 7 and picking a blue chip prospect or trading back to get more draft picks. Also still undecided on Alt vs Rome/Nabers. The performance put up by Alt and Odunze at the combine didn’t make it any easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Broncos, Raiders, and maybe even Vikings could all be looking to trade up to get a QB. 7 seems like a good spot in any of them fall in love with McCarthy. We need extra picks bad because going from 38 to not picking until the 4th sucks.

I dream that we drop to about 9 or 10. Pick up that 3rd and still be able to get a great pick in the 1st. 

I think we will select a WR at 7. If we trade down we will select the best OT. Then get receiver and corner with the 2nd and 3rd in no order. 

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

I’m still torn on staying at 7 and picking a blue chip prospect or trading back to get more draft picks. Also still undecided on Alt vs Rome/Nabers. The performance put up by Alt and Odunze at the combine didn’t make it any easier.

I think they would pick the WR. Trying their best to recreate the Bengals offense. 

11 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Just thoughts. 

Considering the Lions drafting one of the leagues best RT's with our exact same #7 pick a few years ago, this comparison falls a bit flat. They picked Sewell, solidified their online with a good LT and a great RT, was able to protect Goff, and what do you know. They built an great offense with a great playcaller, a star WR they found in the 4th round, a star TE they drafted in the second, and two guys that some how weren't good enough to stay in our WR room.

Will Levis is Matt Stafford reincarnated. I think you have to protect him because he's not built to protect himself, at least not now. He's going to hang in the pocket too long and take the extra hit to make a completion, he's gonna put his shoulder down instead of throwing the ball away. HE's gonna take enough shots on his own. IMO his arm talent, if you can protect him, and the Callahan system can unearth a productive WR. Those same high level b player you speak of.