2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

True/False - Pearsall is WR3 to start the season

True/False - Jauan Jennings will be on the roster for week 1

Over/Under - 14.5 sacks for Bosa

Over/Under - 6.5 pro bowlers (alternatives do not count) 

False

True 

Under (by 0.5)

Over (by 0.5)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wanted to see how the OL held up during the playoffs, and I found these cool videos on youtube that show every one of Brock's dropbacks in those games:

I'll just say I can understand why they prioritized the interior OL.  Pleasantly surprised by McKivitz in these games, held up very well vs Hutchinson and Chris Jones especially...consistency is an issue though. Banks was ROUGH. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Wanted to see how the OL held up during the playoffs, and I found these cool videos on youtube that show every one of Brock's dropbacks in those games:

I'll just say I can understand why they prioritized the interior OL.  Pleasantly surprised by McKivitz in these games, held up very well vs Hutchinson and Chris Jones especially...consistency is an issue though. Banks was ROUGH. 

Really, from about halfway through the year, he was mostly "okay" outside of the Ravens game. You can get by with Mckivitz if you have to. He's not a starting tackle or anything, but you can make due.  I still expect him to give up 3 sacks a game any time he goes up against a truly elite edge guy like TJ Watt. 

As the draft season wore on, definitely felt more like interior line should be a bigger target and felt less and less like they could find someone who could immediately upend Mckivitz 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really, from about halfway through the year, he was mostly "okay" outside of the Ravens game. You can get by with Mckivitz if you have to. He's not an starting tackle or anything, but you can make due.  I still expect him to give up 3 sacks a game any time he goes up against a truly elite edge guy like TJ Watt. 

As the draft season wore on, definitely felt more like interior line should be a bigger target and felt less and less like they could find someone who could immediately upend Mckivitz 

What sucks is if we got Rosengarten, we could probably move McKivitz inside and solidify the entire right side in one swoop.  McKivitz gets held back by his athleticism, and it shows against really bursty edge guys with great first steps. Seems like he got a lot stronger though.

Still very impressive what he did to Hutchinson in these clips. just stonewalled that guy...Jones as well, stood up to his bull rush.  He's still young, maybe he will improve? who knows.  I tend to root for guys who everybody hates, because it can feel irrational at times. 

Also, they REALLY dodged a bullet in that GB game, Brock was just awful lol.  Hopefully "bad weather Brock" doesn't hold back his career.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Same. For me a Tackle would have represented a pick for the eventual future without Trent Williams rather than someone who would be expected to replace McKivitz right away (not that McKivitz would have prevented it if it was earned). But I think it's quite telling in a class with this many offensive tackles in the first and our lack of movement for one that replacing either Trent or McKivitz in the near future wasn't going to need to be a thing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really, from about halfway through the year, he was mostly "okay" outside of the Ravens game. You can get by with Mckivitz if you have to. He's not a starting tackle or anything, but you can make due.  I still expect him to give up 3 sacks a game any time he goes up against a truly elite edge guy like TJ Watt. 

Hopefully Puni can replace Banks if not immediately, then halfway through the season, with Feliciano continuing his quite decent work replacing Burford (getting utterly jacked by Alim McNeill aside). At that point, we could have a much more reasonable offensive line with Banks as a fine third guard and Moore as a swing tackle that exists without being totally obtrusive (please never play Burford any important minutes ever again). Like you say, McKivitz's issue is mostly being roasted by terrific pass rushers. And that's going to happen to a lot of teams' second tackles. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, just not giving Burford any snaps would mark enormous improvement. We can all have chats about pff metrics for other positions, but Burford had a 28.3 pass blocking grade and he was just that horrifying to watch. I'll let you know that is significantly below the Zane Beadles line.

• Like 3

Was listening to Jonnydel and he mentioned another factor with pass protection.  He said that with Pearsall, we finally have another guy who can quickly beat man coverage (ideally ofc), which would allow CMC to stay in and help in Pass Pro more, or check and release.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I don't get it.  DMO is elite at Nickel.  

Because we like to do stupid ****, just because when it comes to personnel.

I don't even see the fit inside personally.

But it's whatever, we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I don't get it.  DMO is elite at Nickel.  

Probably just because we already know DMO can play outside at the NFL level. Easier transition for Green to play nickel. 

• Like 2