2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

What are you thoughts on Talanoa Hufanga.

where does he rank in importance and does he remind you of lil Troy P. I know he made his impact made in ST with the block punt or TD vs GB iirc. But man has he need a stud in the back end no?

46 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

What are you thoughts on Talanoa Hufanga.

where does he rank in importance and does he remind you of lil Troy P. I know he made his impact made in ST with the block punt or TD vs GB iirc. But man has he need a stud in the back end no?

Based on what happened to the defense after he left, I feel like he may be more important than I had given him credit for lol

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Based on what happened to the defense after he left, I feel like he may be more important than I had given him credit for lol

What happened? He was hurt? Was he playing better this year than last? 

10 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

What happened? He was hurt? Was he playing better this year than last? 

He had an ACL injury with a few games left in the season, torpedoing our run defense and tackling on short passing plays. Don’t have the energy to look it up, but we had a top defensive DVOA and other metrics before the injury and a mediocre one after. His replacement Ji’Ayir Brown wasn’t too bad, but he pushed Gipson down to strong safety where Gip turned from quite good to quite terrible. Pff grades aren’t everything, but Gip posted grades in the thirties in both the NFC title game and the Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He had an ACL injury with a few games left in the season, torpedoing our run defense and tackling on short passing plays. Don’t have the energy to look it up, but we had a top defensive DVOA and other metrics before the injury and a mediocre one after. His replacement Ji’Ayir Brown wasn’t too bad, but he pushed Gipson down to strong safety where Gip turned from quite good to quite terrible. Pff grades aren’t everything, but Gip posted grades in the thirties in both the NFC title game and the Super Bowl. 

He miss the last seven regular season games. I would call that more than a few.  All semantics though.

Huf is still an enigma for me. 

Hard to ignored the nosedive the defense took when he was out.

He does have a nose for the ball and creating turnovers.

But he whiffs ALOT and has had his share of blown assignments.

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable and it'll be interesting how we handle him when he's due to hit the market.

But for this scheme as we know it to be, he's been very good overall and an absolute steal 

as a 5th round pick. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He miss the last seven regular season games. I would call that more than a few.  All semantics though.

Huf is still an enigma for me. 

Hard to ignored the nosedive the defense took when he was out.

He does have a nose for the ball and creating turnovers.

But he whiffs ALOT and has had his share of blown assignments.

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable and it'll be interesting how we handle him when he's due to hit the market.

But for this scheme as we know it to be, he's been very good overall and an absolute steal 

as a 5th round pick. 

I’d agree with you on the missed tackles prior to the evidence of the end of the season where passivity and the inability to attack gaps made gaping holes in our run defense. The Lions game was a lot of Gip hesitating and just not getting to his spot in time. I think that there’s quite a bit of evidence for productive whiffs (sometimes) in Hufs tape where he redirects plays to teammates even if he doesn’t get there. It’s hard to have a great run defense like we have had the past two years with as light a personnel as we run. Huf and Dre do a lot of heavy lifting on that front imo.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Poor Rohan getting destroyed every day this week haha 

Fizzle isn't an english teacher.  The point  may have validity, but he didn't address it.  

I really don't think there is going to be another overtime.  Hopefully they add good players for good value, or just eff it and go all in for two years and buy all the shiny toys. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

I’d agree with you on the missed tackles prior to the evidence of the end of the season where passivity and the inability to attack gaps made gaping holes in our run defense. The Lions game was a lot of Gip hesitating and just not getting to his spot in time. I think that there’s quite a bit of evidence for productive whiffs (sometimes) in Hufs tape where he redirects plays to teammates even if he doesn’t get there. It’s hard to have a great run defense like we have had the past two years with as light a personnel as we run. Huf and Dre do a lot of heavy lifting on that front imo.

This is a good observation.  I feel like Dmo when he plays inside is a part of that group as well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JIllg said:

I've referenced the Sherman podcast with Hufanga a few times, but that is literally what these guys are taught. Sherman said he laughs when people talk about missed tackles when the goal is to attack and slow the runner down enough so someone else can make the stop. How many of Hufanga's missed tackles led to 20+ yard gains? Very few. His value is undeniable and his IQ ranked high amongst the team. Warner mentioned that on his podcast during the year saying Hufanga was like another coach back there and that's rare for such a young player. One good thing with Brown is that he's sort of similar in that way. Two safeties that are high IQ and playmakers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

If the 49ers do make a surprise cut (Which I dont think they will) I think it happens tomorrow. 

I don't think anything big will happen. They will just generate space with a few extensions and restructures. The big "surprise" and I wouldn't even call it that will be Kittle being released after 2024. 

• Like 1