49ers fire defensive coordinator Steve Wilks

MaddHatter

9 minutes ago, WeBlitz said:

Wilks was bad in his first stint in Carolina, Arizona, Cleveland, & Mizzou. 

I legitimately don’t understand how dude has managed to finesse all these DC hires over the years.

Players tend to like him and he's not terrible. Problem is that he's a complete JAG DC and most teams eventually want more juice from their coaches. The 49ers only have 1-2 seasons in their current window before salary concerns/aging vets start being a concern and sitting on a meh DC isn't want the org wants.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Really sucks that Steve Wilks chose to take the ball first in OT against Patrick Mahomes in the Superbowl and then only got 3 points after blowing a 3rd down play call and not running the ball hardly at all in the 2nd half.

You missed an additional "... and after getting bailed out of having to punt in OT by one of his WR's going full Neymar and playing to draw a penalty to extend the possession."

43 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Players tend to like him and he's not terrible. Problem is that he's a complete JAG DC and most teams eventually want more juice from their coaches. The 49ers only have 1-2 seasons in their current window before salary concerns/aging vets start being a concern and sitting on a meh DC isn't want the org wants.

Wilks also has a huge proliferation among the coaching circle Rolodex; he's been the DB coach under A LOT, and a good variety, of DC's (Lovie Smith, John Pagano, Sean McDermott).  Point being that he piggybacked off the success that a lot of those guys had and because of what you mentioned that players tend to like him, he's the popular "maintain the status quo" promotional hire at coordinator... except he's a lackluster playcaller who only gets as far as his front-7 and pass-rush will take him; rather ironic, considering Wilks forte is the secondary.

1 hour ago, WeBlitz said:

Wilks was bad in his first stint in Carolina, Arizona, Cleveland, & Mizzou. 

I legitimately don’t understand how dude has managed to finesse all these DC hires over the years.

His defense at Mizzou was really dumb. I think 3 teams rushed for over 300 yards on us and we actually had decent talent. 

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

His defense at Mizzou was really dumb. I think 3 teams rushed for over 300 yards on us and we actually had decent talent. 

Sucking against the run? That sounds familiar....

• Like 3