49ers fire defensive coordinator Steve Wilks

MaddHatter

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

There was legit chatter that he was going to get canned over the bye week. 

I mostly feel bad for him because they didn't let him do his thing

He's a really nice guy so I do feel bad for him. But this is imo a good move for the 49ers. The optics do look terrible though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

How is he not a good DC?  He held Dak and the Boys to 10pts, McVay and Stafford to 23 and 20, Eagles to 19, Love to 21 and Mahomes to 19pts through 4 quarters

Speaking for the Rams, 23 points against the 49ers is probably one of our highest output against them in years. And that was without Kupp. And the 2nd game doesn't really count. It was Wentz and all backups for both teams. He definitely coached some good games. I gave him major props for the SB. I thought other than being blitz happy at the end, he did everything great.

Defenses mostly make or break based on jimmys and joes, not Xs and Os. The optics aren't great for sure, but Wilks wasn't elevating the Niners defense this year. The roster on that side of the ball is stacked, and they should have been at least as good as they were.

I think this is probably a good move in a vacuum, but with it coming this late in the offseason, who is available that is a clear upgrade?

Just now, minutemancl said:

Defenses mostly make or break based on jimmys and joes, not Xs and Os. The optics aren't great for sure, but Wilks wasn't elevating the Niners defense this year. The roster on that side of the ball is stacked, and they should have been at least as good as they were.

I think this is probably a good move in a vacuum, but with it coming this late in the offseason, who is available that is a clear upgrade?

I'm curious to see if they go internal. This is the first time they went with an external hire like that. Curious to see if it's maybe like Daniel Bullocks? 

Externally, I don't know who would be a fit for what they do up front (if they want to keep that). I would look for someone in Cleveland maybe, or someone with history with Jim Schwartz. A guy like Ron Rivera or Brandon Staley doesn't appear to a fit. Last year when they talked about bringing in Fangio it was the same thing and I'm pretty sure Staley is from the Fangio tree 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

How is he not a good DC?  He held Dak and the Boys to 10pts, McVay and Stafford to 23 and 20, Eagles to 19, Love to 21 and Mahomes to 19pts through 4 quarters

I can’t speak on what went wrong in SF but he was a mediocre DC during his time here too. One of many reasons I didn’t want him as HC. Great motivator and position coach but he has some really bad tendencies.

• Like 3