And................. Russell's Gone

AKRNA

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I think we should keep Simmons - I think he is a key component to making the D work. I suspect that he will eventually move into coaching and I'd like to see him do that with the Broncos.

I think we're all likely on a similar page but those who are siding with keeping Simmons/Sutton/Bolles assume the offers are low while those in the camp of trading are assuming a there are teams willing to pay a higher compensation for them. So to test that theory out, what is the lowest compensation you would trade those three for?

Simmons - high 3rd rounder

Sutton - low 2nd rounder

Bolles - low 2nd rounder

High meaning top third of that round, low meaning bottom third of that round. 

Edited by grizmo78

59 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I think we're all likely on a similar page but those who are siding with keeping Simmons/Sutton/Bolles assume the offers are low while those in the camp of trading are assuming a there are teams willing to pay a higher compensation for them. So to test that theory out, what is the lowest compensation you would trade those three for?

Simmons - high 3rd rounder

Sutton - low 2nd rounder

Bolles - low 2nd rounder

High meaning top third of that round, low meaning bottom third of that round. 

So, we do have some depth and promising talent at Safety and WR. We have almost none at OT and outside of Bolles no one on the roster with the talent and skills to play on the left side. So, I would not trade Bolles. He becomes a FA next year and would be perfect for a contract extension to keep him in Denver for his career and a restructure to help with salary cap.

I would not go lower than a 2nd for Simmons and Sutton.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, we do have some depth and promising talent at Safety and WR. We have almost none at OT and outside of Bolles no one on the roster with the talent and skills to play on the left side. So, I would not trade Bolles. He becomes a FA next year and would be perfect for a contract extension to keep him in Denver for his career and a restructure to help with salary cap.

I would not go lower than a 2nd for Simmons and Sutton.

I'd have to disagree here. At safety beyond Simmons, Sterns has missed quite a few games, Turner-Yell had a late-season ACL tear, and Skinner was a rookie, who is promising, yet only got some late-season play on ST. Locke is a key FA and Key and Smith are total unknowns. As for WR's Courtland,Jeudy and Patrick have large cap numbers, making them all questionable. The balance is Mims, Humphries, and Johnson the only real WR's having set foot on the field for the Broncos. Not a lot ok sure things in either category. 

10 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'd have to disagree here. At safety beyond Simmons, Sterns has missed quite a few games, Turner-Yell had a late-season ACL tear, and Skinner was a rookie, who is promising, yet only got some late-season play on ST. Locke is a key FA and Key and Smith are total unknowns. As for WR's Courtland,Jeudy and Patrick have large cap numbers, making them all questionable. The balance is Mims, Humphries, and Johnson the only real WR's having set foot on the field for the Broncos. Not a lot ok sure things in either category. 

I don't disagree. I tried to temper that point but wasn't very successful. We're not great at any spot, OT is just the worst.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't disagree. I tried to temper that point but wasn't very successful. We're not great at any spot, OT is just the worst.

You are correct there and with the talent of the OT (top-heavy but with some depth) I'd agree we could look to the future for our future QBOTF

This is a ridiculously good WR class and I sincerely hope Denver takes one because if we move on from Jeudy and Sutton, it's bare bones. Look what a guy like Tank Dell did for the Houston offense. Grab someone. Can be R1, R2, R3, but find another impact guy.

On 3/7/2024 at 9:03 AM, broncos67 said:

This is a ridiculously good WR class and I sincerely hope Denver takes one because if we move on from Jeudy and Sutton, it's bare bones. Look what a guy like Tank Dell did for the Houston offense. Grab someone. Can be R1, R2, R3, but find another impact guy.

That's probably why they kept Tim Patrick, even though it's not a guarantee that he will play again. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 5:03 AM, broncos67 said:

Got a question for ya. I figure when it comes to WR's you're our "go to" guy. Is Mims another Upchurch as far as a WR?

Rick was a real game changer in the kicking game, absolutely electric, but never really got untracked as a WR. He couldn't beat man coverage. Facing a zone he could do some damage but in his career  he had about as many returns as he did receptions. 

Anyway, if he ended up being an Upchurch I'd love it, just want your take on him as a WR. 

Just looking for info guys, feel free to weigh in.

Edited by AKRNA

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Got a question for ya. I figure when it comes to WR's you're our "go to" guy. Is Mims another Upchurch as far as a WR?

Rick was a real game changer in the kicking game, absolutely electric, but never really got untracked as a WR. He couldn't beat man coverage. Facing a zone he could do some damage but in his career  he had about as many returns as he did receptions. 

Anyway, if he ended up being an Upchurch I'd love it, just want your take on him as a WR. 

The answer is…we don’t know. The offense was soooo limited last year. At OU he was used primarily on deep routes and screens. Much like Jeudy he doesn’t really fight for the 50/50 ball that became the foundation of the Russ passing game. Unlike jeudy he’s wasn’t a great route route runner in college. 

honestly now that I think about it I’ve come to two conclusions:

A) Rick Upchurch (with a bit of Ashlie Lelie due to his long stride) is a perfect comparison 

B) Rick would have had more of an impact the modern NFL with all of the WR screens that we see now.

• Like 2

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Nine-time Pro-Bowl QB and former Super-Bowl champ Russell Wilson plans to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per league sources. Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal in which the Broncos will wind up paying $38 million of his salary while Wilson wears the black and yellow.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Nine-time Pro-Bowl QB and former Super-Bowl champ Russell Wilson plans to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per league sources. Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal in which the Broncos will wind up paying $38 million of his salary while Wilson wears the black and yellow.

@broncos_fan _from _uk said that some team would get a great deal from this. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 2:26 AM, AKRNA said:

Mims has a specific skillset that will be valuable in the NFL, as UK mentioned above. I wasn't super in love with Mims as a prospect personally because I think he needs a very specific situation to be successful. He's not an elite route runner, he's got good deep speed and potential there, but obviously you need a QB and OL that can help him in that regard. I do not see him as a possession WR (think Devonta Smith or something similar).

I think Mims is a #3 who can have big games occasionally and can keep a defense honest, but will require some other talent to take the attention off him.

This is one of the reasons why I'd love to see us draft someone like Ladd McConkey, Devontez Walker, etc. We need someone who can work underneath and free up Mims. We had that with Jeudy but we didn't have a QB who can get him the ball consistently.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

This is one of the reasons why I'd love to see us draft someone like Ladd McConkey, Devontez Walker, etc. We need someone who can work underneath and free up Mims. We had that with Jeudy but we didn't have a QB who can get him the ball consistently.

I’d love to see us grab the YAC god himself, Malachi Corley out of western Kentucky. Plays like a more athletic Brandon Stokely 

• Like 2