And................. Russell's Gone

AKRNA

19 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but his time here was nothing short of disastrous. That said, I am thankful we pulled the bandage off as soon as it was realistic to do so. The Chiefs are still well within their contention window so I don't think there's any real hurry to do anything other than lay the groundwork for the future. Reading the tea leaves seems quite clear that the next week or so is going to be quite busy with moves.

I'm in the camp of burning it all down and starting fresh. I know that won't happen, but I think it should. Get what you can for some combination of Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, hell Surtain should be on the table for the right price. There's no sense in trying to continue the same tightrope walk that has landed us in purgatory for the last decade or so.

Hopefully Russ signs another contract with some offsets. I'm unclear who even takes a flier on him, but I am certain someone will.

Completely agree. No reason to keep good players around. Every player who has some value should be an option for a trade. Start from ground 0. We will be baD next year even with DJ Jones , PSII ,Sutton........

Edited by French Fan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

2022 broncos has to be the worst offseason in NFL history right? Arguably worst HC hire ever. Arguably worst trade ever.  Worst contract ever. Draft class headlined by Bonitto and Dulcich. FA class headlined by Randy Gregory.

Yeah...shoot...hopefully SP can right the ship.

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

Completely agree. No reason to keep good players around. Every player who has some value should be an option for a trade. Start from ground 0. We will be baD next year even with DJ Jones , PSII ,Sutton........

Seems like this is how Houston turned things around.  But they also had the right QB with the right coach.  That is how it happens, how you succeed in the NFL; the right coach and QB combo is the key.  Sean Payton and ????

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm in the camp of burning it all down and starting fresh. I know that won't happen, but I think it should. Get what you can for some combination of Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, hell Surtain should be on the table for the right price. There's no sense in trying to continue the same tightrope walk that has landed us in purgatory for the last decade or so.

I've never understood that approach. Outside of the guarantee that you'll be younger next year is also the guarantee that you'll be a worse team. Sure, some select trades, particularly if a player wants to leave. We'll do that. But sell the farm just to get younger? Not a chance.

Take Bolles for example. Family guy, Denver guy on a team friendly contract, top 10 LT, and leader of our OL. Sort of our senior statesman. Wants to be here.  How do we benefit by getting a 2nd or 3rd. Can't replace him for that and what  message do you send to the locker room? 

45 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I've never understood that approach. Outside of the guarantee that you'll be younger next year is also the guarantee that you'll be a worse team. Sure, some select trades, particularly if a player wants to leave. We'll do that. But sell the farm just to get younger? Not a chance.

Take Bolles for example. Family guy, Denver guy on a team friendly contract, top 10 LT, and leader of our OL. Sort of our senior statesman. Wants to be here.  How do we benefit by getting a 2nd or 3rd. Can't replace him for that and what  message do you send to the locker room? 

I wouldn't say there's no chance. Denver has no picks. We're not close to contending. It's time to try and get something for the players of value and we have an unfortunate cap mess that needs to be dealt with. Some of these guys are flat out just going to be casualties because of that.

Two of Sutton/Jeudy/Patrick are gone. I'd be shocked if that weren't the case. I don't think I'd personally move on from Bolles, but it's been floated and it's certainly a possibility. Though I think it's more likely he gets restructured. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I wouldn't say there's no chance. Denver has no picks. We're not close to contending. It's time to try and get something for the players of value and we have an unfortunate cap mess that needs to be dealt with. Some of these guys are flat out just going to be casualties because of that.

Two of Sutton/Jeudy/Patrick are gone. I'd be shocked if that weren't the case. I don't think I'd personally move on from Bolles, but it's been floated and it's certainly a possibility. Though I think it's more likely he gets restructured. 

I’d trade any one of the three WRs you mention and one of Bolles or Simmons and restructure the other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’d trade any one of the three WRs you mention and one of Bolles or Simmons and restructure the other. 

I agree and would even trade our players for higher round picks in next year’s draft. Meaning instead of a 3rd this year, get a 2nd next year. Maximize future value. 

Personally I'd be looking at the long game. If a solid vet wants to go, accommodate him as best you can. Do the same if they want to stay.

Seans got another 5 years to get us into serious contention. he can't do that if players don't trust him. Let him do what he does. So far, under his guidance and our new owners, Denvers gone from the 28th most desirable team to play for to the 16th. In the last few months he's improved our coaching staff drastically, Now lets see  what he does with the roster. 

Guys, this will take a while. Be patient! Just keep in mid what "swinging for the fences" in the last couple of years has gotten us. 

I've said it before. There are no shortcuts. You need to coach better, draft better, make great FA decisions to win in the NFL. Sean's got us moving in the right direction, just give him some time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I'd be looking at the long game. If a solid vet wants to go, accommodate him as best you can. Do the same if they want to stay.

Seans got another 5 years to get us into serious contention. he can't do that if players don't trust him. Let him do what he does. So far, under his guidance and our new owners, Denvers gone from the 28th most desirable team to play for to the 16th. In the last few months he's improved our coaching staff drastically, Now lets see  what he does with the roster. 

Guys, this will take a while. Be patient! Just keep in mid what "swinging for the fences" in the last couple of years has gotten us. 

I've said it before. There are no shortcuts. You need to coach better, draft better, make great FA decisions to win in the NFL. Sean's got us moving in the right direction, just give him some time.

I think there's something to be said for how Denver ultimately treats their veterans during what should be a rebuild. Players and agents remember things like this, and unfortunately there's some goodwill to be earned after the way the Russ situation was handled.

That said, we need to cut bait with some of the vets that have been here awhile. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, this is a culture of losing. It's been nothing but losing for years, and the current players are a part of the reason why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I think there's something to be said for how Denver ultimately treats their veterans during what should be a rebuild. Players and agents remember things like this, and unfortunately there's some goodwill to be earned after the way the Russ situation was handled.

That said, we need to cut bait with some of the vets that have been here awhile. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, this is a culture of losing. It's been nothing but losing for years, and the current players are a part of the reason why. 

I think everyone should be on the table (aside from maybe PS2) but I don’t want to see us getting rid of good players just to get rid of them. Specifically I’m talking about Bolles and Simmons. Both are still top 10 at their positions and captains. If a contender offers a late second then sure take it. But I’m seeing suggestions like taking a 6th for them in the media and that is asinine. That’s disrespectful….unless said players come to the team and say that they don’t want to be part of a rebuild. If that’s they way they can spin it “we’re doing right by a bronco great by giving them the chance to win while we rebuild” then I am all for it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think everyone should be on the table (aside from maybe PS2) but I don’t want to see us getting rid of good players just to get rid of them. Specifically I’m talking about Bolles and Simmons. Both are still top 10 at their positions and captains. If a contender offers a late second then sure take it. But I’m seeing suggestions like taking a 6th for them in the media and that is asinine. That’s disrespectful….unless said players come to the team and say that they don’t want to be part of a rebuild. If that’s they way they can spin it “we’re doing right by a bronco great by giving them the chance to win while we rebuild” then I am all for it.

Correct. I am not advocating trading players for the hell of it. The value needs to be correct. Simmons I wouldn't trade for, a 5th and 6th, for example. Not worth it. Bolles - probably need a 2nd or 3rd for him. Sutton - 3rd or a 4th, realistically. Surtain I am not trading unless we get a major offer, which, based on recent trades for a slightly lesser CB, I would want nothing less than 2 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3rd. If we're not getting that, keep him.

• Like 1

There’s no arguing that Sutton, Bolles and Simmons have been great Broncos, on the field and in the Denver community. Therefore, I agree with you guys we can do right by them by trading them to contenders for fair value if they don’t want to restructure and stick around for the rebuild. 

Just now, jolly red giant said:

I think we should keep Simmons - I think he is a key component to making the D work. I suspect that he will eventually move into coaching and I'd like to see him do that with the Broncos.

Agreed, his absence from the D in the early part of the season was apparent compared to when he returned.