Packers sign RB Josh Jacobs (4 years, $48M, $12.5M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, EMAW_KSU said:

Who’s the Vikings QB again? Don’t get me wrong Jefferson is the truth, but someone needs to throw him the ball.

That lame duck who started against you guys and the other lame duck who finished the game.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Packers also spend a day 2 pick on a RB.  When the offense was cooking last year, it was because the Packers were able to run for 6+ yards regularly in neutral situations (I.e. it's ambiguous whether the offense would prefer to pass or run in a given situation.)   You don't want to lose that leverage because one guy got hurt.

Odd move, why would they want Josh Jacobs over a more versatile Aaron Jones who was playing out of his mind good at the end of last season?  What injuries?  

They are going to miss the pass catching Aaron Jones provided out of the backfield, the dude was crazy good at the end of last season and is always a threat to catch the football and make big plays that way as well.

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Odd move, why would they want Josh Jacobs over a more versatile Aaron Jones who was playing out of his mind good at the end of last season?  What injuries?  

They are going to miss the pass catching Aaron Jones provided out of the backfield, the dude was crazy good at the end of last season and is always a threat to catch the football and make big plays that way as well.

We effectively replaced Jones w/ Jacobs for the exact same amount of cap hit in 2024 (a little over $17mil). Jacobs is more likely to take significantly more snaps than Jones would have. Additionally, GB then has Jacobs' rights for 3 more years at which point he'd be the same age Jones is now.

Availability, age and looking beyond 2024 were all pretty clear factors in this replacement. Sad to see Jones go, he's a helluva person off the field as well. One of the best people we've had since I've been watching and he's obviously ridiculously good when he's feeling good, but that was unfortunately not as much as you'd like the last couple seasons.