49ers sign DE Yetur Gross Matos

Forge

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'd say the Chase Younf expierment is over officially. 

I’d be curious if he priced himself out or if we were just super unimpressed with him. 

CAROLINA PANTHERS: EDGE YETUR GROSS-MATOS

2022 PFF grade: 51.2

2023 PFF grade: 65.4 (65.2 in pass-rushing, a 66.4 in run)

It is not easy to highlight someone on the 2023 Carolina Panthers who has significantly improved compared to previous seasons. However, while Gross-Matos missed time due to an injury, he recorded career-high pass-rushing, run-defense and overall grades in his fourth NFL season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-improved-player-all-32-nfl-teams-2023-regular-season

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

The wild part is just how far the league has come financially. 9 million a year is really an upside play now lol

Definite Omenihu vibes - longer ~270 guy. He really cooked guards a couple of times on tape; one led to the pick six that was one of the few Panthers highlights of the season. We still could use two defensive tackles, with one that would need to eat some serious snaps, but the defensive end rotation looks set and we have a versatile set of traits in the room. Could see the team getting aggressive with offensive tackle in the draft. Or Jer'Zhan Newton / Darius Robinson still.

We'll also be very aggressive replacing Juice. That's where another large chunk of visits have been from. Given how bad Juice was running corner routes and such as a tight end (and it could be pretty hilariously bad), it'll be useful to get someone in that has more of a feel for that. Juice had 201 snaps as a fullback, 197 as a tight end, 120 from the slot, and 85 out wide. You just want a versatile body that can do a bit of everything. You want to be able to threaten to go 2 back with the guy - it really does mess with defensive gaps and attracts different personnel. But you'd love to get someone that was more threatening when not playing fullback.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Definite Omenihu vibes - longer ~270 guy. He really cooked guards a couple of times on tape; one led to the pick six that was one of the few Panthers highlights of the season. We still could use two defensive tackles, with one that would need to eat some serious snaps, but the defensive end rotation looks set and we have a versatile set of traits in the room. Could see the team getting aggressive with offensive tackle in the draft. Or Jer'Zhan Newton / Darius Robinson still.

We'll also be very aggressive replacing Juice. That's where another large chunk of visits have been from. Given how bad Juice was running corner routes and such as a tight end (and it could be pretty hilariously bad), it'll be useful to get someone in that has more of a feel for that. Juice had 201 snaps as a fullback, 197 as a tight end, 120 from the slot, and 85 out wide. You just want a versatile body that can do a bit of everything. You want to be able to threaten to go 2 back with the guy - it really does mess with defensive gaps and attracts different personnel. But you'd love to get someone that was more threatening when not playing fullback.

If Juice is indeed a cap casualty, I think they'll take a long look at Willis in OTAs/mini-camp first to see if he has the chops, while also drafting a guy with the right tools and let it play out from there. 

I don't really see anyone in free agency who could pull of what Juice gives us. I could see us taking a look at a shorter, more fluid TE like Bell from FSU, Knox from S. Carolina or Culp from Washington and trying to convert them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

If Juice is indeed a cap casualty, I think they'll take a long look at Willis in OTAs/mini-camp first to see if he has the chops, while also drafting a guy with the right tools and let it play out from there. 

I don't really see anyone in free agency who could pull of what Juice gives us. I could see us taking a look at a shorter, more fluid TE like Bell from FSU, Knox from S. Carolina or Culp from Washington and trying to convert them.

They have brought in both Bell for a visit. Bell has quite a bit of vertical juice in addition to being good in space. The other one they've brought in and there seems to be smoke from a couple of beat folks is Ja'Tavion Sanders. Folks may not like it, but they are going to go after a Juice replacement harder than with a late round pick. He had half again as many snaps this year as Jennings. They consider him a starter.  Everyone knows by this point that I'd like Ben Sinnott, but I have yet to hear any connection on that one. Sanders did have a similar role in college - played a lot of motioning from the wing and into various receiving positions. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Now, they may like Willis more than we know. I certainly liked Willis a lot coming out. He did get snaps in the Super Bowl even if one makes me want to gouge out my own eyes. I remember speculating a lot about safeties when we brought a couple in and the truth was that the team actually really liked Hufanga. This is definitely a possibility. But if they don't like Willis yet, they will see him as a nonentity for that spot.

• Like 1