Vikings sign Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

the support and guidance he's getting from O'Connell is immense, and significant.

he has some pretty decent receivers to throw to also, that helps.

KOC & Jets are most definitely going to elevate Darnolds game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

McCarthy isn't starting week one next year. 

He isn't? Absolutely no way to know this. I'd wager that he's as likely now to start week one in '25 as he was pre injury.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there more or less pressure on Darnold now that McCarthy is out?

same. these guys are pros, they tune out the noise. Darnold is trying to reinvent himself, that's always been his mission.

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

With zero reps in a game this year? I don't see it. 

There was always a chance that he'd never see game action this year regardless of injury. Plenty of rookies start week 1, there's no reason he can't start week 1 in year 2 because of this injury.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There was always a chance that he'd never see game action this year regardless of injury. Plenty of rookies start week 1, there's no reason he can't start week 1 in year 2 because of this injury.

When do you expect him to be at practice? Plenty of rookie QBs start week one? 

He's basically a rookie next year. I guess we disagree, I'm ok with that. 

If McCarthy had gotten a full training camp in, then sure, I'd likely be comfortable with him starting Week 1 in 2025 even if he had gotten injured in practice later on.  But he's going to be rehabbing for awhile, so losing a lot of that development will hurt.  Maybe he'll catch up, but I'm not certain of that at this point.  Not certain enough to guarantee that he'd be okay starting then, because he had a significant amount of work to do even as of now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

When do you expect him to be at practice? Plenty of rookie QBs start week one? 

He's basically a rookie next year. I guess we disagree, I'm ok with that. 

Yes, lots of rookie QBs start week 1:

2023: Stroud, Richardson, Young
2021: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones
2020: Burrow

He's going to get a full season of QB meetings, game planning, learning the playbook, etc. He wasn't going to get many practice reps during this season, as there's just not enough time to split reps in regular season practices.

I just don't see this as the hurdle that you do. He'll be FAR more equipped to step in week 1 next year than he would have been this year - provided the surgery and recovery go as planned.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If McCarthy had gotten a full training camp in, then sure, I'd likely be comfortable with him starting Week 1 in 2025 even if he had gotten injured in practice later on.  But he's going to be rehabbing for awhile, so losing a lot of that development will hurt.  Maybe he'll catch up, but I'm not certain of that at this point.  Not certain enough to guarantee that he'd be okay starting then, because he had a significant amount of work to do even as of now.

I don't think it's as significant as you think.