Vikings sign Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So, with the likely implications that the Vikings will draft a QB this year, what happens to either Jaren Hall or Nick Mullens?

Will one get released? Traded? Moved to the Practice Squad?

I'd think Mullens gone. Hall will be the #3/#2 depending on QB drafted, in my opinion.

• Like 3

We couldn't go into the season with any chance of Mullens starting. Getting a guy like Darnold was a must. 

Ideally he won't be our starter, but in case the rookie isn't ready, he will be a hell of a lot better than Mullens or Hall. 

We are in a good spot right now. Time to get ready for the draft and do everything we can to get our guy

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

We couldn't go into the season with any chance of Mullens starting. Getting a guy like Darnold was a must. 

Ideally he won't be our starter, but in case the rookie isn't ready, he will be a hell of a lot better than Mullens or Hall. 

We are in a good spot right now. Time to get ready for the draft and do everything we can to get our guy

that's the attitude, my man!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'd think Mullens gone. Hall will be the #3/#2 depending on QB drafted, in my opinion.

I honestly figured Hall would be gone after we draft another QB at some point. Just the way they went about him last year it sort of felt they just don’t have faith in him. 

what’s Mullens contract like with a release? Any guaranteed money left?

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly figured Hall would be gone after we draft another QB at some point. Just the way they went about him last year it sort of felt they just don’t have faith in him. 

what’s Mullens contract like with a release? Any guaranteed money left?

$375,000 left in dead money.

Hall missed time because of Concussion. I don't think it says much about them keeping him or not. If he was a 2nd round QB, sure,  maybe, but not a late round QB. I expect they didn't want to play him at all, if they didn't need to. There was just a need last  year. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They can trade Mullens to Atlanta to back up Kirk along with Heinicke.  🤣

They can also trade Heinicke and sign Josh Dobbs as a free agent...

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

really wish you would post more here. very fair and non emotionalized analysis.

I know I only come by in bits and spurts. I have an all encompassing football podcast that I’m a co-host on, and that takes up a majority of my externalization of football thoughts, haha.

• Like 1

Darnold is certainly not the answer, but if you believe that Kyle Shanahan and Kevin O’Connell are the high level QB “gurus” that many give them credit for, then it says something about Darnold that both coaches have brought him in as insurance/backup for their young, or soon to be young QB. 

I didn’t think that an external bridge QB was necessarily a need. But the vitriol from some Vikings fans over the Darnold signing is crazy. 

• Like 1