Vikings sign Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Darnold is certainly not the answer, but if you believe that Kyle Shanahan and Kevin O’Connell are the high level QB “gurus” that many give them credit for, then it says something about Darnold that both coaches have brought him in as insurance/backup for their young, or soon to be young QB. 

I didn’t think that an external bridge QB was necessarily a need. But the vitriol from some Vikings fans over the Darnold signing is crazy. 

I’d say Josh McCown probably was a big part of Darnold coming here also. 

Also the fact he was probably the best QB available on the market. He’s been thru systems, and has a coach on staff that has been with him. Comfort level has to be big I would imagine as a QB. 

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’d say Josh McCown probably was a big part of Darnold coming here also. 

Also the fact he was probably the best QB available on the market. He’s been thru systems, and has a coach on staff that has been with him. Comfort level has to be big I would imagine as a QB. 

And throwing to Justin jefferson can't hurt.  This is a big opportunity for Darnold

I'll ask some very generic questions.

So, 3rd pick overall, what did people see in him back then and what didn't translate? Like what did he do poorly in the NFL that just made him a bust? Also, is there an actual reason people are holding out hope that he can still be more or is it just pre draft status?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I'll ask some very generic questions.

So, 3rd pick overall, what did people see in him back then and what didn't translate? Like what did he do poorly in the NFL that just made him a bust? Also, is there an actual reason people are holding out hope that he can still be more or is it just pre draft status?

Environment and support staff is probably the biggest reason Darnold didn’t live up to his potential. 

It takes a special makeup to be able to handle New York City, especially at the QB position. And quite frankly, I wonder if anyone can handle it. But I think it was incredibly tough to Darnold who was only 20 when he was drafted. The scrutiny from the New York media is relentless. 

And that issue was compounded by Adam Gase. Darnold had no chance with Gase as his coach. He was doomed from the start. But along with having to try and learn how to play QB with Gase as the coach, the Jets gave him nothing to work with on offense.

And things didn’t get better when he was traded to Carolina where he had to deal with Matt Rhule as his head coach, who fired the OC mid season and replaced him with Ben McAdoo. Just a completely dysfunctional organization. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If the Jets were smart, they should have just started McCown until Darnold was ready.

The issue is that they bought into the hype that if you draft a guy that high he has to start right away...which I generally think it is an error in judgment. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Charch is especially unhinged right now and I'm here for it, he's so clueless. 

Especially when I heard him last Friday...I can't quite remember who he was talking about, but I was flabbergasted about some of his comments, because they were just utterly wrong...while he's never been on the ball exactly, these comments were more wrong than anything I've ever heard him say.  I was just dumbfounded...and wasn't sure he had ever even seen the guy he was talking about...or if he was just mistaking him for someone else. 

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It takes a special makeup to be able to handle New York City, especially at the QB position. And quite frankly, I wonder if anyone can handle it. But I think it was incredibly tough to Darnold who was only 20 when he was drafted. The scrutiny from the New York media is relentless. 

Honestly with the way it’s been, Eli Manning is really the only one to do it and I’m still not sure he would have lasted if he didn’t find himself into that first Super Bowl and his brother wasn’t Peyton. While Super Bowls can save a QB, he wasn’t the reason for that. 

He did get some remarks thru his career but if anyone else was put in those exact same shoes I don’t think they would have made it.

but back to Darnold, while I don’t see him as any part of the future, there has to be a reason he was paid as much as he was. I thought I saw some comments that there was some staff throughout the league that still highly regard him. While I hope we can find a QBOTF, honestly I don’t think there was a real better option out there for a veteran. Probably the best chance for Darnold he’s ever had to succeed as a “starter”. 

• Like 1