Vikings sign Sam Darnold

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe, maybe not. Mullens could still throw for 300+ yards and multiple TDs.

And multiple interceptions at the worst possible time. I sure as heck Darnold will be better than Mullens.  Mullens had absolutely no feel for the game.

• Like 1

I’m bullish on Darnold. I think he has a better than expected year. Best situation he’s been in since being drafted. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a QBOTF, but he may have Mayfield like resurgence. I was secretly hoping we’d sign him for 2 years. If he has a good year like Mayfield, he’d garner some nice trade offers in 2025. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

You always have our best interest at heart, don't you? lol

definitely!  it's enough that we're treated to your waking mind, we don't need to venture into your subconscious...

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Darnold plays well, he could sign elsewhere and we could get us a comp pick for him in 2026. That's ideal.

very good point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I’m bullish on Darnold. I think he has a better than expected year. Best situation he’s been in since being drafted. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a QBOTF, but he may have Mayfield like resurgence. I was secretly hoping we’d sign him for 2 years. If he has a good year like Mayfield, he’d garner some nice trade offers in 2025. 

I’ve come around some and also think there’s some real potential there. The situation is fantastic for him, and there is a reason he was the 3rd overall pick. He has the size, arm, and physical traits you are looking for. What’s between the ears is kind of the question, but it’s tough to develop that when you are immediately thrust into a dumpster fire with the expectation of being the savior, and then go to another dumpster fire. Geno Smith would be the hopeful comp for me, but I think at worst we probably see a little less volatility than we would have from Mullens

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

He is likely not the backup to start the season. That’s the reason he got that contract.

Yes I'm aware, I should have made myself more clear with my initial post.

Darnold is betting on himself this year (and next) which is why he only signed a one year contract with the Vikes. 

He expects to play 8-17 games this year, and then get out out of the way for the rookie. But if he plays well, he may very well get to showcase what he plans to be his improved status for 15-18 games.

Then he can make a case to be a starter next year, not a backup, for another team. 

• Like 1

Darnold signed a one-year deal with the team this week and he told reporters at his own press conference that he’s excited about the offensive playmakers he may be working with in Minnesota. He acknowledged that the team may be bringing in other options, including a possible first-round pick, and said that he’ll do his best to make sure he’s the one running the offense regardless of what should happen between now and September.

Darnold: “No matter what happens I’m going to compete. Just excited for the opportunity to do that.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-darnold-just-excited-for-the-opportunity-to-compete

• Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

Darnold signed a one-year deal with the team this week and he told reporters at his own press conference that he’s excited about the offensive playmakers he may be working with in Minnesota. He acknowledged that the team may be bringing in other options, including a possible first-round pick, and said that he’ll do his best to make sure he’s the one running the offense regardless of what should happen between now and September.

Darnold: “No matter what happens I’m going to compete. Just excited for the opportunity to do that.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-darnold-just-excited-for-the-opportunity-to-compete

Good mind set.

• Like 3

Florio and Simms are going to go on about Kwesi desperately trying to trade up to make it up to KOC. Or they won't put 2 and 2 together and realize this is them going for the guy that they want. 

I don't think they would settle for Nix or Penix.  Last year they could have had Levis as a consultation and sat him easily for a year and they let him go

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Florio and Simms are going to go on about Kwesi desperately trying to trade up to make it up to KOC. Or they won't put 2 and 2 together and realize this is them going for the guy that they want. 

I don't think they would settle for Nix or Penix.  Last year they could have had Levis as a consultation and sat him easily for a year and they let him go

I don't know that Levis was an equivalent prospect to Nix/Penix. He definitely didn't have equivalent production.

Edited by Worm Guts

Meeting with reporters on Thursday, G.M. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah declined to describe Darnold as a “bridge” quarterback.

Kwesi: “I’m gonna stop using terms, I think they get — I’m not gonna call him a ‘bridge’ quarterback, but he’s a quarterback that’s on our roster, under contract for a year. Ultimately, at the end of the day, the position is about how do you run Kevin’s offense? How do you overcome context when the play’s not really there. There’s different skill sets that go into the position.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/if-vikings-trade-up-to-take-a-quarterback-sam-darnold-is-clearly-a-bridge-qb

Kwesi, my man... after this week and what you've done, you call call him anything you want.