Who is the best GM in the NFL?

3 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Gute got nearly as much for Rasul Douglas as Chiefs did for Snead. Head scratching trade for the Chiefs for a premium corner 

Teams aren’t helping the Chiefs out. Veach tried to trade up in the first last year and everybody was being very unreasonable in their demands. Moreso than usual. 

18 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Teams aren’t helping the Chiefs out. Veach tried to trade up in the first last year and everybody was being very unreasonable in their demands. Moreso than usual. 

I also think the fact that Snead turns 28 before the playoffs and wanted to be one of the highest paid corners in the league on a 3 or 4 year contract hurt them. Looking at the positional shelf life, recent and future HOFers like Revis, Patty P, and Richard Sherman started to fall off around 29, 30 years old. Same with guys like Xavien Howard, Tre White, James Bradberry, etc. Gilmore is really the only current player still rocking it a couple years into his 30s, and he's a FA.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I also think the fact that Snead turns 28 before the playoffs and wanted to be one of the highest paid corners in the league on a 3 or 4 year contract hurt them. Looking at the positional shelf life, recent and future HOFers like Revis, Patty P, and Richard Sherman started to fall off around 29, 30 years old. Same with guys like Xavien Howard, Tre White, James Bradberry, etc. Gilmore is really the only current player still rocking it a couple years into his 30s, and he's a FA.

Yeah, given that the Packers had already paid out most of the guaranteed money for Douglas, the Bills are going to wind up paying like $8M for 1 1/2 years of Douglas, and they needed a CB urgently due to injury. Bit different from trading to be able to pay a guy $20M per year for 4 years at the start of the offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, given that the Packers had already paid out most of the guaranteed money for Douglas, the Bills are going to wind up paying like $8M for 1 1/2 years of Douglas, and they needed a CB urgently due to injury. Bit different from trading to be able to pay a guy $20M per year for 4 years at the start of the offseason.

This is why the Frank Clark trade continues to confuse me. We really got screwed on that one 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Right. And I'm a huge Sneed fan. I actually think his game will translate well into older years, or perhaps once he loses a step he can successfully transition back to safety like we've seen guys like Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, DeAngelo Hall, and Kareem Jackson do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

This is why the Frank Clark trade continues to confuse me. We really got screwed on that one 

Frank Clark was 25 years old coming off a 13 sack season. He was viewed as an ascending player, and it could be very reasonably expected that if he was signed to a 5 of 6 year extension, he'd be elite for all of it. A couple years younger than Sneed, the Chiefs were Championship Chasing, higher value position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Right. And I'm a huge Sneed fan. I actually think his game will translate well into older years, or perhaps once he loses a step he can successfully transition back to safety like we've seen guys like Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, DeAngelo Hall, and Kareem Jackson do.

Sneed ain’t a safety. The reason he was unheralded out of college was because they switched him to safety his senior year out of necessity, and he wasn’t good at it. Hes sparingly been used as a safety here and the returns aren’t usually good. Big thing is he lets guys get behind him, gets fooled by QB eyes

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Frank Clark was 25 years old coming off a 13 sack season. He was viewed as an ascending player, and it could be very reasonably expected that if he was signed to a 5 of 6 year extension, he'd be elite for all of it. A couple years younger than Sneed, the Chiefs were Championship Chasing, higher value position. 

eh I mean Brian Burns went for a 2nd but that’s an early second. I guess the value is similar, still hurts to give up a first, sign a guy to a mega deal, and then it turns out he’s a lemon who’s got Crohn’s disease. 

Edited by Chiefer

The Frank Clark’s of the world is basically why I am not in the camp of paying/trading for Burns. 

Then again, for every Clark or Dupree, you sometimes get a Judon or Chandler Jones. Just makes me nervous about edge rushers.

• Like 3

Roseman for me

There are far too many behind-the-scenes variables for us to accurately judge how a GM is performing.

But his ability to repeatedly finesse the rest of the league and play double-dutch with the cap really stands out.

2 hours ago, bands said:

Roseman for me

There are far too many behind-the-scenes variables for us to accurately judge how a GM is performing.

But his ability to repeatedly finesse the rest of the league and play double-dutch with the cap really stands out.

300m+ in void money, at some point they gotta pay the piper right?

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

300m+ in void money, at some point they gotta pay the piper right?

I believe they just traded the only player on the books that isn't either on a rookie deal or on a vet min salary because their salary was changed to signing bonus for void years this offseason. They're now like auto-structuring contracts so that they have roster bonuses set to be paid out at certain points that will prorate like signing bonuses, so they don't have to convert salaries every year, but it functions the same way. Like, Jake Elliott has a 2032 void year already. It's all great until it's not, and you're latched on to players you no longer want to be.

They'll pay some of it next year regardless, though. Kelce and Cox haven't been processed yet, so I assume they'll technically retire after June 1st, and that kind of makes 2025 the point of no return on those deals, where there's no way to push them out anymore. You have to pay the remainder of what's owed on the cap at that point. So that'll be $26M of it coming due next year (plus like $14M this year.) Really though, just gotta pray they would never want to move on from Hurts.

I just love the way John Schneider does things.

Selling Russ at the right time getting all those assets, I love the type of players they bring in, I think he got rid of Pete at the right time for the right coach, I can't believe he turned Geno Smith into something he was in a camp battle with Paxton Lynch before lol, I also loved the Sam Howell trade wanted it for Denver.

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I believe they just traded the only player on the books that isn't either on a rookie deal or on a vet min salary because their salary was changed to signing bonus for void years this offseason. They're now like auto-structuring contracts so that they have roster bonuses set to be paid out at certain points that will prorate like signing bonuses, so they don't have to convert salaries every year, but it functions the same way. Like, Jake Elliott has a 2032 void year already. It's all great until it's not, and you're latched on to players you no longer want to be.

They'll pay some of it next year regardless, though. Kelce and Cox haven't been processed yet, so I assume they'll technically retire after June 1st, and that kind of makes 2025 the point of no return on those deals, where there's no way to push them out anymore. You have to pay the remainder of what's owed on the cap at that point. So that'll be $26M of it coming due next year (plus like $14M this year.) Really though, just gotta pray they would never want to move on from Hurts.

After trading Reddick we have $45m in cap space right now. We are fine lol