Who is the best GM in the NFL?

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I find it hard to argue against the Ravens or the Chiefs or the Eagles. A lot of teams have had so much turnover at GM or not enough time to really know how good they are, but those 3 teams have consistently gone through turnover, made great deals, drafted well and maintained success.

Gun to my head if I had to pick who the best of those 3 are, I probably say Howie Roseman.

Les Snead with the Rams: 101-93-1, 7-4 playoff record, two Super Bowl appearances, one win

Howie Roseman with the Eagles: 125-101-1, 6-7 playoff record, two Super Bowl appearances, one win

And Roseman took over a team that was in a period of sustained success under Andy Reid....Les Snead took over after one of the worst five years stretches in NFL history. Then he proceeded to:

Make the RG3 trade to get some talent on the team

Signed  Whitworth and Woods in FA which helped transform the culture

Overhauled the defense and went "all in" after the 2017 season, resulting in a Super Bowl appearance

Went "all in" again with the Stafford and Von Miller trades, resulting in a Super Bowl win

Reset the roster after a down year but one of the best draft classes in the NFL - probably one of the best ever without a first round pick

If the Rams win 12 games each of the next two years (very possible), he would have the same number of wins in his first 14 years as Roseman did in his first 14 years despite taking over a complete dumpster fire while Roseman took over a winning team.

DeCosta hasn't had many years, and his predecessor was one of the best ever and set him up for success too. Pretty easy to argue against those two in favor of Snead.

Veach....the man drafted the GOAT QB and is finding mid round CBs to play like all pros on an almost year basis....easily number one IMO.

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I may be biased but Im gonna say Ryan Poles....rolling over a #1 overall pick for another #1 overall pick was crazy lucky, but he still pulled it off. While also having a ton of cap space, AND putting himself in a position where he can pretty much do ANYTHING in the draft. I dont think Ive seen a GM make moves like this EVER.

Yea, because most of them get fired for being as bad as the Bears have been.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Poor Bears fans are so deluded they are making comments like these 🤣

**A** Bears fan. Most of us like Ryan, but wouldn't even offer an extension yet, let alone call him the best. 

My pick:

Ravens went from Newsome to DeCosta, and I'd have been totally fine calling either the best overall GM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

leshaun 

Clever. Not moral.

The dumbest thing they could do is draft a Kizer, role with McCown or a Kessler.

Imo they weren't wrong to move off Baker. He stacked some bad decisions.

Kind of hate to admit this, but Gute with GB should get some Love (pun intended). I think he makes mostly right moves considering he was handcuffed by Rodgers. It wasn't looking good in the beginning of the year but I think he's been vindicated.

Yes they haven't made a SB yet, but they got to #1 seeds and I think that's about the extent you can ask a GM to do, have rosters that are good enough.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I find it hard to argue against the Ravens or the Chiefs or the Eagles. A lot of teams have had so much turnover at GM or not enough time to really know how good they are, but those 3 teams have consistently gone through turnover, made great deals, drafted well and maintained success.

Gun to my head if I had to pick who the best of those 3 are, I probably say Howie Roseman.

This is pretty much where I'm at. It's hard to say where Veach lies because Pat Mahomes is just so much of X Factor, and yeah he gets credit for bringing him in, BUT, it's more on him than on Veach I feel? 

John Lynch has a case too.

30 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Les Snead with the Rams: 101-93-1, 7-4 playoff record, two Super Bowl appearances, one win

Howie Roseman with the Eagles: 125-101-1, 6-7 playoff record, two Super Bowl appearances, one win

And Roseman took over a team that was in a period of sustained success under Andy Reid....Les Snead took over after one of the worst five years stretches in NFL history. Then he proceeded to:

Overhauled the defense and went "all in" after the 2017 season, resulting in a Super Bowl appearance

Went "all in" again with the Stafford and Von Miller trades, resulting in a Super Bowl win

Reset the roster after a down year but one of the best draft classes in the NFL - probably one of the best ever without a first round pick

If the Rams win 12 games each of the next two years (very possible), he would have the same number of wins in his first 14 years as Roseman did in his first 14 years despite taking over a complete dumpster fire while Roseman took over a winning team.

DeCosta hasn't had many years, and his predecessor was one of the best ever and set him up for success too. Pretty easy to argue against those two in favor of Snead.

Veach....the man drafted the GOAT QB and is finding mid round CBs to play like all pros on an almost year basis....easily number one IMO.

Yeah but the Rams sucked until McVay got there. 5 seasons straight.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

John Lynch has a case too.

John Lynch can't be up for this. Look at all the talent he's had around him. Shanny, Peters, Demeco, Saleh, McDaniel, Mayhew, Carthon. And that's before you get to the actual players! Deebo, Aiyuk, Bosa, Warner, Kittle. 

@Soggust knows what I'm talking about 

• Like 2

Might be biased but there's not a GM in the league I would trade Gute for:

Coaching: Hit a homer run with Lafleur that was an unpopular pick at the time

Draft: Outside of 2021 draft(which still produced 2 solid starters in Myers and Slaton), all of his drafts have been great. Hit on franchise QB his first try. Hasn't had the premium draft capital of other GMs yet has produced just as much. His last two draft classes have had an incredible hit rate. Quay, Wyatt, Watson, Tom, Doubs, LVN, Reed, Musgrave, Kraft, Wicks, Brooks. That's 11 solid contributors with most of them having pro bowl potential. 

Free Agency: He hit on Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith and Amos when we had money to spend in 2019. Did a great job this year of addressing two of our biggest needs with McKinney and Jacobs. Campbell and Rasul were picked up from the waiver wire and turned into pro bowl caliber players for us. His one big miss was Jimmy Graham

Trades: The Davante Adams trade was a success. Adams wasn't going to resign and turned him into a 1st and 2nd. Rodgers should of been traded a year earlier. We could of potentially gotten a Russell Wilson sized deal which would of sped up our rebuild even further

Gute has now successfully gone through two mini rebuilds(2018 and 2023) and has turned us into a playoff team/top contender within a year each time.

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

Veach
Decosta
Gutenkunst 
Snead
Roseman
Lynch
Brad Holmes

id put them in the top tier 
Hiring the right Coach and drafting the right QB shouldnt detract from their resume, thats their job.
Mahomes was a big swing, a trade up for a divisive prospect, is drafting mahomes on Veach or on john dorsey? the media reported he was all over that, but he didnt have final say. Reid, Kelce and Jones were there already when the chiefs promoted him. 

50 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Rams were awful until McVay got there. I credit their success more with him than Les Snead. But admittedly I did forget about him and would put him in the top 5 undoubtedly, along with John Lynch who I also forgot.

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rams were awful until McVay got there. I credit their success more with him than Les Snead. But admittedly I did forget about him and would put him in the top 5 undoubtedly, along with John Lynch who I also forgot.

Yea that's the thing with this exercise...Chiefs/Ravens/Rams/Niners probably have the top four HCs so how much success do you credit to the GM vs the coach...for me, Snead's manipulation of the cap has been incredible and overcoming the narrative of going all in twice and being where we are now (cap plus picks) is definitely a testament to him though.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

these would be my top 3, too.

If 2024 sees GB continuing how they finished 2023, Gutekunst is in this discussion. The move to Love, WIDELY panned on here and everywhere, is a career-defining move for a GM.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah but the Rams sucked until McVay got there. 5 seasons straight.

"Sucked" is relative. Look at the five years before Snead got there compared to his first five. You can't take over a much worse situation than he did. And while McVay was the guy, no doubt - Goff/Gurley/Havenstein/Higbee/AD and a few others were already on the team when McVay got there.