Who is the best GM in the NFL?

3 hours ago, Danger said:

After trading Reddick we have $45m in cap space right now. We are fine lol

No you don't. Not yet, anyway.

And we'll agree to disagree, here. I don't view $50M in dead cap as fine. I don't agree paying $26M in cap in 2025 for players who retired before 2024 is fine. I don't think starting two 30+ CBs because they'd cost almost $50M to move off of is fine. They do the same stuff the Saints do, they're just a more talented roster and recently made the superbowl, so they're still in the stage of getting praise for it, not criticism. Howie has done some good things in talent acquisition and is awesome at trades, but he's no more a cap wizard than Mickey Loomis was.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

No you don't. Not yet, anyway.

And we'll agree to disagree, here. I don't view $50M in dead cap as fine. I don't agree paying $26M in cap in 2025 for players who retired before 2024 is fine. I don't think starting two 30+ CBs because they'd cost almost $50M to move off of is fine. They do the same stuff the Saints do, they're just a more talented roster and recently made the superbowl, so they're still in the stage of getting praise for it, not criticism. Howie has done some good things in talent acquisition and is awesome at trades, but he's no more a cap wizard than Mickey Loomis was.

If Hurts regresses then public and media perception will turn on Howie quick. But the belief is still that Hurts is worth the money. $0.02

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

If Hurts regresses then public and media perception will turn on Howie quick. But the belief is still that Hurts is worth the money. $0.02

You’re right

His performance in the Super Bowl bought him a lot of “good grace” and optimism.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:54 PM, thebestever6 said:

I just love the way John Schneider does things.

Selling Russ at the right time getting all those assets, I love the type of players they bring in, I think he got rid of Pete at the right time for the right coach, I can't believe he turned Geno Smith into something he was in a camp battle with Paxton Lynch before lol, I also loved the Sam Howell trade wanted it for Denver.

I think this is a good point.  GMs who make an unpopular/controversial change to maintain the long term success should get a lot of credit.  

But I think GMs are little like QBs, they often get both more praise and criticism than they deserve.  Also like QBs, GMs who do more with less (no elite franchise qb) is another good measuring stick.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:03 PM, candyman93 said:

You’re right

His performance in the Super Bowl bought him a lot of “good grace” and optimism.

I mean hell. People want to bash his 2023 follow up season as though having 4400 total yds and 38 TD was a bad season because He/Eagles were uncharacteristically turn over prone? 

Never mind that the vast majority of those numbers were played with a injured knee that occured week 6 vs the Jets?

Who knows? Maybe hiring a OC who is actually capable of installing hot reads into a offense and more importantly how to pick up a Blitz, might help the team not having another late season collapse? 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Hurts is fine and going nowhere. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I mean hell. People want to bash his 2023 follow up season as though having 4400 total yds and 38 TD was a bad season because He/Eagles were uncharacteristically turn over prone? 

Never mind that the vast majority of those numbers were played with a injured knee that occured week 6 vs the Jets?

Who knows? Maybe hiring a OC who is actually capable of installing hot reads into a offense and more importantly how to pick up a Blitz, might help the team not having another late season collapse? 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Hurts is fine and going nowhere. 

I definitely felt that the coaching downgrades were the biggest difference in the Eagles' bumpy performance last year rather than personnel issues (although terrible intermediate coverage defenders were a decent part of it as well).

• Like 1

Did Veach draft Mahomes? I always thought that was John Dorsey. Either way Vecach has done an amazing job building the roster around Mahomes and making difficult decisions to manage the cap. He's the best in the league.

5 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Did Veach draft Mahomes? I always thought that was John Dorsey. Either way Vecach has done an amazing job building the roster around Mahomes and making difficult decisions to manage the cap. He's the best in the league.

It happened just before Dorsey got fired, basically. Drafted him in April 2017, moved on from Dorsey in June 2017. But Veach was a major figure in the personnel department prior to getting promoted then, and has widely been referenced as the guy who pushed for Mahomes in the years leading up to that draft. Reid has spoken about it a bunch of times in interviews. So Dorsey made the move but Veach found the player, is what I would say.

• Like 1

Isn't it quite obvious that the best GM is Brett Veach of the Chiefs? You might as well ask who is the all time best Chicago Bulls shooting guard who wore #23 and had his own model of Nike shoes.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:52 PM, Kiwibrown said:

I didn't like it at the time. 

Imo he was wrong in practice not theory. If he was less injury prone it would have been an OK trade. 

I think there were a lot of problems with Baker and he was never going to work here. He can be very arrogant, the best thing that has happened to him is us getting off him.

Disagree. Americans are obsessed with firing. 

He is often mediocre. 

The bucs make the playoffs because they are in a weak division, not because of Baker. For Baker to be successful you need more than what is realistic. 

Great coaching.

Two great wr.

Offensive line

Runnjng game. 

Great defense. 

Weak division.

To date his best year was under Kevin not anyone else. If Stefanski gets his qb we win a superbowl. 

Huh 4409 yards plus a playoff win when they were supposed to get 1st overall pick.

• Like 1

8 pages and nobody has mentioned me

browns

jordan davis

ojabo

anderson

let newsome walk

trade Emerson for a second if not let him walk

Willis walk

mayfield signed long term

this year draft hope Mims drops to us trade up for worthy.

I signed Delpit at a steep discount then this year plus Jok. 

Edited by mtmmike
Stupid
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

8 pages and nobody has mentioned me

browns

jordan davis

ojabo

anderson

let newsome walk

trade Emerson for a second if not let him walk

Willis walk

mayfield signed long term

this year draft hope Mims drops to us trade up for worthy.

I signed Delpit at a steep discount then this year plus Jok. 

@mtmmike would be a GM Tayne would go to war for.