Who is the best GM in the NFL?

6 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Does he not get the credit for the hire lol?? 

It was he and McVay who had to form that synergy. It’s not like the eagles firing a coach every 3 years. #BangBangChokerGang

sure he gets credit, but the majority of the credit of that team's success goes to McVay. McVay has been the consistent variable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

sure he gets credit, but the majority of the credit of that team's success goes to McVay. McVay has been the consistent variable.

Remember at the time hiring a young inexperienced HC was against the grain. Hiring a super young HC was frowned upon. Everyone clowned the Rams for hiring a 30 year old. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. That move literally changed the landscaped of the NFL. A more modern approach with analytics and young fresh blood. No more old retread coaches skipping from town to town. The Rams got so much hate and heat. That move transcended the Rams. 

It's Ravens and Eagles for top two imo. I lean Eagles for maintaining success while having unstable QB (Kevin Kolb? -> Mike Vick -> Nick Foles -> Vince Young -> Mark Sanchez -> Sam Bradford ->  Carson Wentz -> Nick Foles 2.0 -> Jalen Hurts) the team never really sank despite turnover, whereas Ravens went Flacco drafted Lamar as Ozzie's last pick so DeCosta's had MVP QB on roster his tenure but had a part of drafting Lamar super late as assistant GM. I bump the next tier of my top five GM down below those two because I weight coaching influence there more, perhaps unfairly? But my next three would be Snead, Lynch and Veach. Just outside top 5 would be, and I might be off base here, but whoever is technically GM for the Bengals because they are pretty consistently competitive and run a strange show with small front office and not really a destination or big spender in FA. Just consistently not blowing the draft and filling out the team to put respectable teams out there. I rarely feel like he nails the draft, but I respect the Seahawks GM and his weird approach especially if it continues well post Pete. The biggest risers to me so far are Brad Holmes with the Lions turn around and Gute from the Packers if Love keeps taking steps he may quickly ascend. 

On 3/13/2024 at 1:44 PM, MonserinNC said:

I may be biased but Im gonna say Ryan Poles....rolling over a #1 overall pick for another #1 overall pick was crazy lucky, but he still pulled it off. While also having a ton of cap space, AND putting himself in a position where he can pretty much do ANYTHING in the draft. I dont think Ive seen a GM make moves like this EVER.

What are you doing? 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Hurts my brain how many people are leaving him out of this discussion

I think he absolutely needs to be up there. Did he sign McVay? Because that would be a big feather in his cap. Then being able to add contributors in the draft with our premium positions.  On top of that, the reason they don't have those draft picks is because he has used them in trade acquisitions which he has done a good job executing. Snead, Veach, DeCosta, Roseman are all very good GMs in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I think he absolutely needs to be up there. Did he sign McVay? Because that would be a big feather in his cap. Then being able to add contributors in the draft with our premium positions.  On top of that, the reason they don't have those draft picks is because he has used them in trade acquisitions which he has done a good job executing. Snead, Veach, DeCosta, Roseman are all very good GMs in my opinion.

He was part of the group that signed him, yep

On 3/13/2024 at 6:45 PM, NudeTayne said:

I'd rather take the wager on the Bucs making the playoffs next year over the Browns. We'll see. 

You do realize Tampa Bay faces the 49ers + Lions + Ravens + AFC West + NFC East next year?

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Remember at the time hiring a young inexperienced HC was against the grain. Hiring a super young HC was frowned upon. Everyone clowned the Rams for hiring a 30 year old. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. That move literally changed the landscaped of the NFL. A more modern approach with analytics and young fresh blood. No more old retread coaches skipping from town to town. The Rams got so much hate and heat. That move transcended the Rams. 

They hired him and let him grow, which was huge. Getting a young offensive mind and a highly established DC like Phillips was a beautiful move by Snead and one I have been calling for years to be done. You let your young HC/playcaller own one side of the ball entirely, the vet DC run his defense and own his side of the ball, and situational things like challenges, time outs, etc get the young HC's attention. As he gets use to the major jump in responsibility and finds his flow, he slowly can take over more and more of the team. McVay went from a top offensive mind who was learning to be a HC to a top HC in the entire league. He didn't get the standard "trial by fire" and it worked out perfectly for the Rams. Its the formula I have preferred for a long time.

One that Pace tried to do, but he only got the Fangio pick correct sadly.

On 3/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I find it hard to argue against the Ravens or the Chiefs or the Eagles. A lot of teams have had so much turnover at GM or not enough time to really know how good they are, but those 3 teams have consistently gone through turnover, made great deals, drafted well and maintained success.

Gun to my head if I had to pick who the best of those 3 are, I probably say Howie Roseman.

Saying the Ravens or Chiefs have gone through turnover certainly seems like a... choice...

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Coaching and player turnover, which are both extremely relevant for a GM.

The second and third longest tenured coaches in the league... Who both predate both GMs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank God Veach pushed and pushed for Mahomes from day one. Constantly sending Andy scouting vids and texts. He genuinely felt like Mahomes was the greatest player he’d ever seen, and his pushing and prodding for Mahomes changed the entire trajectory of the Chiefs and the NFL. 

On 3/13/2024 at 2:31 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Might be biased but there's not a GM in the league I would trade Gute for:

Coaching: Hit a homer run with Lafleur that was an unpopular pick at the time

Draft: Outside of 2021 draft(which still produced 2 solid starters in Myers and Slaton), all of his drafts have been great. Hit on franchise QB his first try. Hasn't had the premium draft capital of other GMs yet has produced just as much. His last two draft classes have had an incredible hit rate. Quay, Wyatt, Watson, Tom, Doubs, LVN, Reed, Musgrave, Kraft, Wicks, Brooks. That's 11 solid contributors with most of them having pro bowl potential. 

Free Agency: He hit on Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith and Amos when we had money to spend in 2019. Did a great job this year of addressing two of our biggest needs with McKinney and Jacobs. Campbell and Rasul were picked up from the waiver wire and turned into pro bowl caliber players for us. His one big miss was Jimmy Graham

Trades: The Davante Adams trade was a success. Adams wasn't going to resign and turned him into a 1st and 2nd. Rodgers should of been traded a year earlier. We could of potentially gotten a Russell Wilson sized deal which would of sped up our rebuild even further

Gute has now successfully gone through two mini rebuilds(2018 and 2023) and has turned us into a playoff team/top contender within a year each time.

Gute got nearly as much for Rasul Douglas as Chiefs did for Snead. Head scratching trade for the Chiefs for a premium corner