Texans trade 23rd pick to Vikings for 42nd, 188th, and 2025 2nd

minutemancl

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

New England also traded away their starting QB though.

but the point is they have a serviceable replacement for him already, but WASH does not for theirs.

and is trading away Mac Jones of any consequence?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

but the point is they have a serviceable replacement for him already, but WASH does not for theirs.

and is trading away Mac Jones of any consequence?

Washington signed Marcus Mariota.

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

who last had a successful season in....?

You did say "serviceable", not successful.  🤣  And he's definitely serviceable. He was 5-8 in that "Quarterback" season.  He's actually a more serviceable replacement than Jacoby Brissett. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll stand by my assertion that the Pats and Commies are in different situations vis a vis their level of immediate QB Need.

at least their fans think so, if you go to their forums and read their views.

Oh, I'm sure they probably are.  But, one fanbase has won a lot more recently than the other, so probably is more comfortable with their situation despite being at a crossroads.  😉

Wahayy 😎

Ultimately we have no idea. Who’s to say Jalen isn’t the guy they have their eye on already, then falls to us, as is predicted? No way they’re trading back. This is a new regime in the war room too, maybe they’re super conventional whereas Bill and co. were more likely to move around 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

No way they’re trading back. This is a new regime in the war room too, maybe they’re super conventional whereas Bill and co. were more likely to move around 

fine by the Vikings. the lesser we have to trade up ultimately, with a lower cost.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

fine by the Vikings. the lesser we have to trade up ultimately, with a lower cost.

What’s ironic is,

”no way”,

“this is a new regime, maybe they’re…”

If we are to acknowledge this is a new regime and there’s maybes as to how they operate, then how is there “no way” for a trade?

The only concrete thing we have on this new regime is how they’ve handled FA, and it wasn’t conducive to bringing in a starting rookie QB (especially one who probably needs help like Maye).

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Duluther said:

What’s ironic is,

”no way”,

“this is a new regime, maybe they’re…”

If we are to acknowledge this is a new regime and there’s maybes as to how they operate, then how is there “no way” for a trade?

The only concrete thing we have on this new regime is how they’ve handled FA, and it wasn’t conducive to bringing in a starting rookie QB (especially one who probably needs help like Maye).

If you read my post then the quote, I was quoted out of context. The no way refers to if  Jalen Daniels is their guy and he’s there at 3, then there’s no way they’re trading back.

bit cheeky there daddy ;)

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:53 AM, ToonPatriot said:

I don't understand why the narrative out there is that WAS are closed for business but NE are saying show me the money. Not picking on you specifically as it's the common thought out there right now, but there's a lot of similarities between both teams where I don't get where that comes from. 

Both teams have new coaching staffs and eras if you like, both teams traded away last years starters, both teams signed clear bridge QBs on 1 year deals. Yeah we have needs on offense, but we both won the same amount of games, so why can they say no to 3 1st round picks but we can't? Just curious is all.

From a fan perspective, I hate the thought of trading back. You get the picks, build the roster over a couple of years and then what? End up like the Vikings right now needing to find a trade partner and giving away a haul to get your guy? Throw in next years QB class not looking as strong and I don't see the logic. If you like the top 3/4 guys you take one, don't overthink it.

I don't think it's necessarily that the Patriots are shopping the pick, and it's the Commanders aren't.  I think it's going back to the same discussion we had in 2018.  There's 4 QBs that are being talked about as potential top 10.  Does every team grade those 4 as top 10 picks?  Probably not.  Does that mean New England only has 2 QBs graded out as top 10 pick?  Possibly, but I'd venture a guess that they have at least 3 QBs that they like quite a bit.  Does Washington only have 1 QB graded out as a top 10 pick?  Possibly, but again I'd say it's probably far more likely they have at least 2 graded that highly.

I think most teams saw New England as more of a dark horse team to trade out that spot.  I don't foresee them trading out of that spot for anything short of a king's ransom.  Arizona at 4 and Los Angeles at 5 seem far more likely to move out of those picks than New England.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a pre-draft deal got done between Minnesota and Arizona allowing Minnesota to move up the board to get their QB, and then during the draft Arizona moved back up the board in that 5-7 range to Nabers or MHJ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you read my post then the quote, I was quoted out of context. The no way refers to if  Jalen Daniels is their guy and he’s there at 3, then there’s no way they’re trading back.

bit cheeky there daddy ;)

huh, whut?

check the post, i wasn't its author....

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think it's necessarily that the Patriots are shopping the pick, and it's the Commanders aren't.  I think it's going back to the same discussion we had in 2018.  There's 4 QBs that are being talked about as potential top 10.  Does every team grade those 4 as top 10 picks?  Probably not.  Does that mean New England only has 2 QBs graded out as top 10 pick?  Possibly, but I'd venture a guess that they have at least 3 QBs that they like quite a bit.  Does Washington only have 1 QB graded out as a top 10 pick?  Possibly, but again I'd say it's probably far more likely they have at least 2 graded that highly.

I think most teams saw New England as more of a dark horse team to trade out that spot.  I don't foresee them trading out of that spot for anything short of a king's ransom.  Arizona at 4 and Los Angeles at 5 seem far more likely to move out of those picks than New England.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a pre-draft deal got done between Minnesota and Arizona allowing Minnesota to move up the board to get their QB, and then during the draft Arizona moved back up the board in that 5-7 range to Nabers or MHJ.

I still think it makes a pretty big difference with New England's situation, that they don't have the same certainty about who will be available there.

I think at this point, it's all but announced that Chicago are expected to go with Caleb Williams at 1.  The Washingtons are sitting there making the moves indicative of drafting a QB, which suggests they've got at least a 2nd QB that they'd happily take at #2.  Even if Chicago do something wildly unpredictable and take Daniels/Maye/McCarthy or whoever...i don't think it's a stretch to say that Washington would be plenty happy to walk away with Caleb instead.

But WAS are guaranteed a pick of QBs that they appear clearly locked in on, walking away.

Now when you get down to the Patriots on the other hand...It's far more plausible that they might only have 2 QBs that they'd be excited to take there.  Maybe they have more, but it's at least within the realm of possibility that if Washington select a particular QB at 2...the Patriots could be stuck with the "leftovers" and may not be as high on those guys.

It could just end up being as easy as 1, 2, 3, and everyone gets the QB they want and walk away happy.  And then the squeeze is really on to try to get up high enough to grab that QB4.  Which would also be heavily influenced by team preferences at that point.  And more marked uncertainty about who all in going to go in that range as things open up significantly on draft lists and needs.  There are almost certainly teams that don't have say...Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy as Top-10 or heck, even Top-20 value picks in the draft.  Plenty of teams that might rate either one of them as their QB2...but depending on need and willingness to go up and get them, and which of the two (or Daniels) slips to that spot...that will likely swing the needle heavily on which teams are even desperate to get up there for QB4 (or even QB3).

I just don't get the impression that there is an ironclad consensus on these QBs from team to team, scout to scout, etc.  Daniels might be straight up off some GMs list due to his size.  Maye has plenty of fans, but also plenty of very much not fans who rank him quite low and very risky.  JJ McCarthy is obviously very polarizing because so much of his game is pure projection.  A lot of potential scenarios where teams further down have their QB2 available at 3, 4, 5 or whatever.  Where NE may only have their QB3 there, and not even rate that guy as a Top-10/20 pick.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Just now, Tugboat said:

I still think it makes a pretty big difference with New England's situation, that they don't have the same certainty about who will be available there.

That's what I'm saying.  There's a better chance that Washington has another QB graded highly than there is of New England having 2 graded highly not named Caleb Williams.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think at this point, it's all but announced that Chicago are expected to go with Caleb Williams at 1.  The Washingtons are sitting there making the moves indicative of drafting a QB, which suggests they've got at least a 2nd QB that they'd happily take at #2.  Even if Chicago do something wildly unpredictable and take Daniels/Maye/McCarthy or whoever...i don't think it's a stretch to say that Washington would be plenty happy to walk away with Caleb instead.

But WAS are guaranteed a pick of QBs that they appear clearly locked in on, walking away.

While I do think that Washington would take Caleb Williams if Chicago passed on him, I think they'd effectively be operating as if Caleb Williams wasn't in the draft and the Commanders were picking #1 overall.  LIS, I think it's unlikely that they don't have some graded out highly.  And their offseason moves so far haven't suggested they plan on going in another direction other than QB at 2.  I think at this point the only question is who is going to be their pick, and I think the only QBs really being considered are Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye.

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Now when you get down to the Patriots on the other hand...It's far more plausible that they might only have 2 QBs that they'd be excited to take there.  Maybe they have more, but it's at least within the realm of possibility that if Washington select a particular QB at 2...the Patriots could be stuck with the "leftovers" and may not be as high on those guys.

Again, very possible but offseason moves suggest that they're going to go QB at 3.  Mac Jones needed to get out of town, but there was no reason to move him unless you weren't replacing him.  Jacoby Brissett is that bridge QB to sign this offseason, and will likely get the first crack at the starting QB gig.  But eventually he's going to be replaced.  Given the amount of sheer needs the Patriots have, it wouldn't be unfathomable if they moved off this pick to someone like the NY Giants and pivot with a high floor player with legitimate upside (Joe Alt) especially if they thought a guy like Bo Nix or Michael Penix could be available in the 2nd round and produce similarly to whoever is left after Washington picks.  But again, that's more of a draft day deal.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It could just end up being as easy as 1, 2, 3, and everyone gets the QB they want and walk away happy.  And then the squeeze is really on to try to get up high enough to grab that QB4.  Which would also be heavily influenced by team preferences at that point.  And more marked uncertainty about who all in going to go in that range as things open up significantly on draft lists and needs.  There are almost certainly teams that don't have say...Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy as Top-10 or heck, even Top-20 value picks in the draft.  Plenty of teams that might rate either one of them as their QB2...but depending on need and willingness to go up and get them, and which of the two (or Daniels) slips to that spot...that will likely swing the needle heavily on which teams are even desperate to get up there for QB4 (or even QB3).

I just don't get the impression that there is an ironclad consensus on these QBs from team to team, scout to scout, etc.  Daniels might be straight up off some GMs list due to his size.  Maye has plenty of fans, but also plenty of very much not fans who rank him quite low and very risky.  JJ McCarthy is obviously very polarizing because so much of his game is pure projection.  A lot of potential scenarios where teams further down have their QB2 available at 3, 4, 5 or whatever.  Where NE may only have their QB3 there, and not even rate that guy as a Top-10/20 pick.  🤷‍♀️

No doubt that there isn't a consensus.  I'd venture to guess there's at least 1 or 2 teams that don't have Caleb Williams ranked as QB1, if not more.  And that might even be on the pessimistic side.  I think if you asked the 32 teams who was QB2, I think majority would say either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels and a few would say JJ McCarthy.  Similar to the 2018 class, although I think Caleb Williams being the largely consensus QB1 would be the major difference between the classes.  But I think there were some teams that liked Baker Mayfield the most, some teams that liked Sam Darnold the most, etc.  

• Like 1