Ranking the Positional Unit

Cutler06

OK, just my opinions and feel free to add in your opinion but here's what I was thinking going into the draft

WR's  Grade: C- 

Courtland had one of his best year, Mims now gets the PT taken by Jeudy last year and the return of TPatricks could look promising. However, Sutton appears disgruntled, Mims is still young and TP, well we don't know if he can stay healthy and is getting older. Lil Jordan Humphries showed a bit of promise and Brandon Johnson always seems a decent backup but beyond those ...we have nothing but question marks. I do like Jalen Virgil, but I liked him last year too and that didn't go anywhere either. 

TE's Grade: D+

This could change drastically if Dulcich recovers some health, but that's a HUGE IF. Trautman was resigned, he brings a little stability but that's about it. Krull and Adkins are young, untested and unproven so there is a LOT of growth area to be had. None of these guys are established blockers, something we'll need to establish our running game. 

OL Grade: B

Probably our best starting unit on the offense but still lacks quality depth. Bolles is our best LT having been on the line since 2016, McGlinchey was added to start at RT but struggled in PP and had too many penalties in his first year. Meinerz has developed into our best Olineman, a devastating run-blocker and can hold his own in PP. Powers is a road-grader, best served to open holes for our RB's. He's average in pass protection but did play better as the season went on, it was probably harder to block for Russell the Rabbit so there is that. At C is where the unknown comes to light, Cush moved on to Tennessee but we do have Wattenberg and Forsyth waiting in the wings. Most of us believe Forsyth will eventually start but we really don't know how either will work out. Wattenberg is more of a swing at G/C so he'll be a good backup IMO. Quinn Bailey was resigned and will also swing between G/T, he brings size and continuity to the backups. Alex Palczewski showed some serious potential in TC last year so he's in a favorable position. Can't say  I know anything about T Demontrey Jacobs other than what I read, so any info would help. 

RB's Grade: B-

Javonte's Williams looks to be at 100% health after returning last year from a bad ACL injury. His 774yrds led the team but we were truly hoping to see the explosive power-runner we saw in his rookie year. Glimpses were there but no where enought. Samaji Perine was brought in as an out-of-the-backfield pass-catching back, again, he had a few moments but really wasn't used properly. Lastly, we have our scat-back in Jaleel McLaughlin, a former NCAA rushing leader. This kid is shifty, has speed but not the size, a question mark in pass protection. Still he is a good Change of Pace back, much can be said of PS member Tyler Badie. 

QB's Grade D-

This may be a tough grade, others think I'm being generous. Wilson is gone, leaving us with a gaping hole at the starting QB spot.  Stidham really didn't show us anything to think he's anything more than a bridge QB who'll win us anything more than a higher draft pick next year. Ben Dinucci is the backup QB, a USFL/XFL (?) wannabe. Shows some athleticism, that's about all I know. 

DL Grade: C+

Again, what could've been a bright spot for us fizzled out in a hurray. Zach Allen signed a big contract, being brought over by Vance Johnson as a stud-in-the-making. He had a decent season with five sack but not what was anticipated. DJ Jones had some high expectations as a run-stuffer, but his production diminished from the previous season, lending to speculations he'd be cut by this time, yet he's still here. Payton brought in former Saints DE Malcolm Roach to help stop the run, we'll see how he works into thee rotation.  Henningson, Garcia, Jordan and suspended gambler Uwazurike could add some youthful fire but this group still needs some serious talent upgrades. 

EDGE Grade: B-

There is a lot of above-average talent here, just no studs. Browning, Bonitto, and Cooper all showed show flashes, but none had a dominant season expected from a team used to players like Von Miller and Chubb. Drew Sanders may get some more PT here as well, he's got better size than Browning with similar speed, but bounced back and forth between ILB and OLB. Even so, I do kinda expect him back at MLB. Bonitto show some skills in his 2nd year, let's hope he continues that trend. Broncos hve some high hope for Thomas Incoom but haven't seen it on the field, a stud here would help the D a lot.

MLB Grade: B 

Singleton is a tackling machine but still has trouble covering TE's and RB's. Jewell moved on so we brought in Cody Barton, another tackler, let's see if he has any coverage skills. Drew Sanders showed more at OLD than ILB, but he does has some speed that should be utilized here, whether coverage or blitzing he needs to be molded into our version of Micah Parsons. Don't know what to say about Jonas Griffith except.."Stay Healthy". 

S Grade: C+ 

A lot of trasition here, our Captain and stalwart got the axe this year, Good Luck Justin Simmons. Upon that cost-cutting endeavor we made two moves, bringing back PJ Locke and signing Brandon Jones. Vance is also expecting the return of Caden Sterns and the development of JL Skinner, an intriguing rookie last year. Can'r expect much yet of Turner-Yell as he hurt his ACL late in the season 

CB's Grade A-

PSII is a stud, arguably our best player on the team. He can shut down 1/2 of a field and is only getting better. On the other side, well, not so much as we have no idea who'll be there. Riley Moss will surely get an opportunity, Sean and George are both on record saying they believe he can be a starting CB in the league. Mathis failed to deliever in his 2nd season so hopefully he can regain some of his swagger to build some depth.  MacMillian was a come-out-of-nowhere surprise, he helped fill the NCB position and never looked back. Smith, Green and Reece are the rest of the unknowns to fill out the backfield. 

ST's Grade: B+

Lutz filled a void left by McManus at a 1/3 price, now returns on a new contract of his own. He played above average but also cost us a Raiders game that could've broken THAT streak this last season. Riley Dixon also well, avging over 46yds per punt. Mims turned into a Pro Bowl returner with his electrifying returns, he'll continue to bring on each punt and Kickoff. 

I guess it depends on what your grades mean. For me it’s in context. I want to look at the entire room, starters and backups, but each is weighted by how much playing time a backup is anticipated to get. QBs and OCs where they never come out save for injury? Backup means a lot less than DL where a strong starter may still only play 55% of the snaps.  A+ means historically great (when the 49ers had Montana and Young in the same QB room). F- means historically bad (the 2017 Browns QB room of Kiser, Kessler, and Hogan who combined for a career record of 2-36)

otherwise A means top 5 in NFL, B ranked 6-10, C 11-17, D 18-25, F 26-32. Basically if you’re A/B you’re not actively trying to better the position, C you’re looking to upgrade but it’s a lower priority, D/F you’re looking for upgrades in both starters and depth. 

now my rankings:

QB: F I think Stidham is a bottom 5 starting QB and we don’t have a long term backup or anyone for the future

RB: C+ I hope with a full year of recovery Javonte can go back to being a top 10 back in this league and I like Jaleel as a change of pace. But that’s a hope and the rest of the room leaves a lot to be desired.

WR: C- Sutton is a great #2. Hope Tim can finally be healthy. Mims is a screen/fly guy until he proves otherwise. The rest are JAGs 

TE: F+ the plus is only because I think Dulcich can be a great #2 TE if he can finally stay healthy 

OT: B- Bolles is a top 10 LT but is getting older. I think Mcglinchy is better than he showed last season (he really struggled when Russ would freestyle) but still overpaid and average. our depth is terrible.

OG: C+ the belly is a top 10 OG. Powers I feel similar but more pessimistic than I do about mcglinchy. Again with the depth concerns. 

OC: C I like Forsyth better than most and Wattenbberg is a solid backup. But we won’t know for sure until they get game time.

DL: D- Zach Allen is a really good complementary rusher who is also stout in his gap control.  DJ jones and Malcolm Roach are solid rotational players. That’s about all the good I have for this unit.

LBs: C so much potential here but they need to take the next step. I think we let the wrong ILB walk. 

CB: B We have arguably the best CB in the game and a bunch of talented young guys who have shown flashes but no one has stepped up yet. I’m optimistic but wouldn’t be against a FA #2 in most years (but understand running young this season)

S: C+ Young guys who have played well in limited opportunities. Unfortunately injuries have been a large part of that limitation. Wouldn’t surprise me if they formed a top unit or if we had to sign guys off the street mid season to fill in. 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

QB: F I think Stidham is a bottom 5 starting QB and we don’t have a long term backup or anyone for the future

Gotta think we're kinda counting on this, at least I am

RB: C+ I hope with a full year of recovery Javonte can go back to being a top 10 back in this league and I like Jaleel as a change of pace. But that’s a hope and the rest of the room leaves a lot to be desired.

WR: C- Sutton is a great #2. Hope Tim can finally be healthy. Mims is a screen/fly guy until he proves otherwise. The rest are JAGs 

Agreed here too, Tim is a big unknown but I have high hopes for Mims

TE: F+ the plus is only because I think Dulcich can be a great #2 TE if he can finally stay healthy 

OT: B- Bolles is a top 10 LT but is getting older. I think Mcglinchy is better than he showed last season (he really struggled when Russ would freestyle) but still overpaid and average. our depth is terrible.

OG: C+ the belly is a top 10 OG. Powers I feel similar but more pessimistic than I do about mcglinchy. Again with the depth concerns. 

OC: C I like Forsyth better than most and Wattenbberg is a solid backup. But we won’t know for sure until they get game time.

DL: D- Zach Allen is a really good complementary rusher who is also stout in his gap control.  DJ jones and Malcolm Roach are solid rotational players. That’s about all the good I have for this unit.

LBs: C so much potential here but they need to take the next step. I think we let the wrong ILB walk. 

CB: B We have arguably the best CB in the game and a bunch of talented young guys who have shown flashes but no one has stepped up yet. I’m optimistic but wouldn’t be against a FA #2 in most years (but understand running young this season)

S: C+ Young guys who have played well in limited opportunities. Unfortunately injuries have been a large part of that limitation. Wouldn’t surprise me if they formed a top unit or if we had to sign guys off the street mid season to fill in. 

imma wait to do mine after the draft so I'll reserve this spot, but your ratings aren't terrible.  I definitely see us last place in the AFC WEST next year but I definitely see a competitive team potentially. 

I mean Simmons is our biggest loss potentially and there were talks he lost a step still not signed.

Russell Wilson isn't a huge huge loss 3000 yards in a Sean Payton offense is pedestrian.  His 29 tds are where you may expect a drop off from stidham and a rookie. BUT then again Sean Paytons offense put up star wars numbers with Brees, and decent numbers with Journeyman Bridge water and Winston. 

Jeudy my loss that hurt the most to me bc he was my favorite Bronco but at the end of the day we just need to replace 700+ yards of production and two tds very easy to do in my opinion.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:56 PM, thebestever6 said:

imma wait to do mine after the draft so I'll reserve this spot, but your ratings aren't terrible.  I definitely see us last place in the AFC WEST next year but I definitely see a competitive team potentially. 

I mean Simmons is our biggest loss potentially and there were talks he lost a step still not signed.

Russell Wilson isn't a huge huge loss 3000 yards in a Sean Payton offense is pedestrian.  His 29 tds are where you may expect a drop off from stidham and a rookie. BUT then again Sean Paytons offense put up star wars numbers with Brees, and decent numbers with Journeyman Bridge water and Winston. 

Jeudy my loss that hurt the most to me bc he was my favorite Bronco but at the end of the day we just need to replace 700+ yards of production and two tds very easy to do in my opinion.  

I'm sorry but how was Jeudy your favorite Bronco? 

I can't tell what's more of a testament to how much we've sucked - your feelings about Jeudy or the grades of each of our positional units. 

Edited by Zukhyubern

4 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

I'm sorry but how was Jeudy your favorite Bronco? 

I can't tell what's more of a testament to how much we've sucked - your feelings about Jeudy or the grades of each of our positional units. 

well Surtain is my favorite bronco followed by Meinerz so it was probably a bit of an exaggeration. And Jeudy yes he was up there I loved the 2020 wr class coming out and he was my number 1 wr and I just thought he was a good coach/ qb away from being elite. I think I'm at peace with the move. Stefanski is also my favorite coach in the NFL so if anyone can get the most out of Jeudy it's him. 

I will aay this Jeudy is a mental midget I looked at his twotter. He used the injury excuse to never getting 1000 yards. And when Philip Lindsey commented where's Denver wrs one game jeudy basically said enjoythe game from your couch so there were signs chinks in the armor.

Edited by thebestever6

biggest question I had last year or most of Jeudys tenure in Denver was why wasn't he moved around more in formations? Dating back to Alabama and the good stretch run to end 2022 it was clear Jeudy does his best work from the slot yet Payton didn't really move him there last year at all.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I guess it depends on what your grades mean. For me it’s in context. I want to look at the entire room, starters and backups, but each is weighted by how much playing time a backup is anticipated to get. QBs and OCs where they never come out save for injury? Backup means a lot less than DL where a strong starter may still only play 55% of the snaps.  A+ means historically great (when the 49ers had Montana and Young in the same QB room). F- means historically bad (the 2017 Browns QB room of Kiser, Kessler, and Hogan who combined for a career record of 2-36)

otherwise A means top 5 in NFL, B ranked 6-10, C 11-17, D 18-25, F 26-32. Basically if you’re A/B you’re not actively trying to better the position, C you’re looking to upgrade but it’s a lower priority, D/F you’re looking for upgrades in both starters and depth. 

now my rankings:

I would probably agree with all of these rankings, with perhaps a downgrade to Center due to the sheer unknown, and probably a downgrade at Safety too, but not by too much.

On 3/19/2024 at 8:56 PM, thebestever6 said:

Well, part of my reasoning behind this post is to help get a consensus for the upcoming draft(s), to establish our needs

• Like 2

This will be fun. I'll probably be overly harsh, but here we go:

QB - F. Can't be anything else. Stidham and Ben DiNucci? Big yikes.

RB - C. Nothing inspiring here. I think it's an average room, with average players. Room to improve across the board.

WR - C+. Sutton is off a good year, Patrick is an unknown post-injury, Mims is still a work in progress. I think there's a lot of bang average talent here, however, and we sorely need an upgrade somewhere in the next two years.

TE - F. Worst position group on the team. Nothing else to be said.

OT - B+. Bolles is solid. McGlinchey is up and down, but I think this year is a lot more important in determining where we stand, especially without a guy who will create his own sack issues.

OG - B-. Meinerz is good, Powers is average. Overall, pretty comfortable with the position for now.

OC - C-. Complete unknown in Forsyth. 

DL - C+. I think the Roach signing helps shore up a spot. Allen is a solid player. DJ Jones is solid. But we have no depth, and even someone like Jones could be upgraded on. Roach has had injury issues. We should be looking to upgrade ASAP.

LB - C+. Singleton and Cody Barton stink. Both of these guys need to be upgraded on. It's baffling to me how we continue to get this wrong. The OLB group has a lot of potential. I think Bonitto is the best of the bunch, but there's a lot of players that need to take the next step either from an injury or performance standpoint.

CB - B+. Surtain is the best CB in football. McMillian showed up in a huge way at nickel. There's some decent depth with Mathis and Moss, but that other boundary corner is a giant unknown. Surtain is the rising tide that lifts all boats here.

S - C. A young position group, but Locke has played well when given the chance, and Jones is a nice signing. Some good young depth with upside as well.

ST - A-. I think this is indisputably our strongest area. Lutz is a solid kicker who did well last year. Mims is a very good returner. Punter could be upgraded but our coverage teams were good.

• Like 2

It's pretty sad, but I pretty much agree with all your rankings. They may be a bit high. As far as QB, I can't give that an F. Just call it an incomplete. Overall, we're a ways away from serious competition.

On a positive note, we've brought in the Saints best talent evaluator and their OC for the past decade +.  Our Coaching staff is much improved from last year (that's the development part) and adding Rager to our scouting department helps in the talent evaluation area.

Looks to me like we've got a great start to a long term plan. What we're doing should lay to rest any thoughts that Sean's here on a "win now" basis. Everything he's done screams "long term"!  I like it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It's pretty sad, but I pretty much agree with all your rankings. They may be a bit high. As far as QB, I can't give that an F. Just call it an incomplete. Overall, we're a ways away from serious competition.

On a positive note, we've brought in the Saints best talent evaluator and their OC for the past decade +.  Our Coaching staff is much improved from last year (that's the development part) and adding Rager to our scouting department helps in the talent evaluation area.

Looks to me like we've got a great start to a long term plan. What we're doing should lay to rest any thoughts that Sean's here on a "win now" basis. Everything he's done screams "long term"!  I like it.

Even Penner in his press conference yesterday finally acknowledged the plan is to take several years to get this team in a better position. He still couched it with the "we plan to be competitive this year" comment, but it's clear the entire org is viewing this as a multi-year project to return to competitiveness which is long overdue.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 9:46 AM, broncos67 said:

Patrick is an unknown post-injury

I don't know why they kept him.

Bolles is solid.

He is trash. I wouldn't have drafted him.

Singleton and Cody Barton stink. Both of these guys need to be upgraded on. It's baffling to me how we continue to get this wrong. The OLB group has a lot of potential. I think Bonitto is the best of the bunch, but there's a lot of players that need to take the next step either from an injury or performance standpoint.

Drew Sanders should be playing ILB, not being moved to OLB. The Patrick Walsh (Elway) FO has been trying to put square pegs in round holes since 2017 (remember DeMarcus Walker?).

Surtain is the best CB in football.

Not really. He wasn't even the best CB in the draft that year (Horn was better). Should have drafted Rashawn Slater.

• 5 weeks later...

This is more a group outlook than by position with Offense first.

I actually feel pretty good about this group and for a few main reasons.  Those would be coaching, continuity and stability. We really didn't lose much in FA, and added the #2 draft choice from just a few years ago to the QB room.

Our OL is returning the same starters from last year except center.  That's the real unknown. Outside of that the unit should improve. Same with WR's and RB's. Most of the same guys. A resurgent Williams would be a real help. Everyone of these groups will benefit by being in the same system, same players, same coaches. There's a lot to be said for coaching continuity.

The TE group just doesn't impress. Enough said. maybe some help in the draft. We could really use a weapon there.

On to QB. I'm a bit more optimistic than most and for the same reasons listed above, coaching, continuity and stability. We also added a great coaching asset in Pete Carmichael, NO's OC for the last decade or so and QB coach prior to that. Of interest, SD hired him, previous LSU QB coach, as a tutor to Brees. When Brees went to NO, so did Pete. Now granted, Brees has really been his only pupil, but when you only have one pupil and he's a surefire 1st ballot HOF guy that's not a bad thing.

With he, Sean and Lombardi working that position I feel good about it, whether that's training the kids we've got or getting a rookie I figure they'll get it right. My personal feeling is that they're content to work with the group they've got and save their limited draft picks for other needs. 

I might get to defense today but that entire topic makes me groan. About the only place I see some light is the hiring of Jim Leonhard and our new DL coach. I just think Vance is over his head with no strong personnel groupings to bail him out.

• Like 2