Future Super Bowl halftime performers.

pf9

I’m happy with the current halftime demographic of artists I personally don’t like at all. It gives me a chance to get my kids down for bed, drive home from a party, etc. and tune into the second half just in time.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:55 AM, NJerseypaint said:

I think that's a lock. It would cost them like a billion to have her play, but they'd get that back in advertising real quick.

I really doubt it actually moves the needle enough to be worth what it'd cost them tbh.

Especially considering you've probably already got most of the Swifties tuned in the game to watch for her in the crowd anyway.  So it's well into diminishing returns.

On 3/24/2024 at 7:45 PM, Forge said:
On 3/24/2024 at 4:00 PM, Phinsesq said:

Weird Al Yankovic

Not going to lie, I just like the idea of this

You get multiple genres of music and something for the comedy people.

He also puts on a heck of a show and has a very talented band.

White and Nerdy (Ridin')
Smells like Nirvana (teen spirit)
CIA (party in the USA) and Achy breaky song (achy breaky heart) Cyrus father/daughter
Amish paradise (Gangsta's)
Gotta throw in "The saga begins (American pie)
TMZ (You belong with me) For the Swifties

Even Madonna/MJ etc... so much to choose from.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:29 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

Why would the NFL care about the anniversary celebrations of these bands?

Usher's appearance this year marked the 20th anniversary of Confessions.

For the New Jersey Super Bowl I had thought Bon Jovi was a lock for the halftime show.

The selection of Bruno Mars shocked me, but he sure did deliver a great performance.

It doesn't change my views though.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from not being the target audience. There are a couple other things.

One, halftime performers at the Superbowl aren't paid, they do it for free.

Two, the NFL is obsessed with its halftime show being perfect. So much so they require the instrumental part of any act to be pre recorded so something can't go wrong. Which is why you almost never have bands at the halftime show. They have to pretend to play their instruments.

Just look at the recent artists. Shakira and Jennifer Lopez, Snoop and Co, Bruno Mars, Rhianna and Usher. All are singers or rappers. Live instruments is not a part of their act.

The RHCP got heat the last time they performed at the Superbowl because their instruments weren't plugged in. They weren't plugged in because the performance was never meant to be live. 

The NFL even prefers the signers to pre record their performance. Although it is not required and apparently some do and some do not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kael said:

Two, the NFL is obsessed with its halftime show being perfect. So much so they require the instrumental part of any act to be pre recorded so something can't go wrong. Which is why you almost never have bands at the halftime show. They have to pretend to play their instruments.

Just look at the recent artists. Shakira and Jennifer Lopez, Snoop and Co, Bruno Mars, Rhianna and Usher. All are singers or rappers. Live instruments is not a part of their act.

The RHCP got heat the last time they performed at the Superbowl because their instruments weren't plugged in. They weren't plugged in because the performance was never meant to be live. 

The NFL even prefers the signers to pre record their performance. Although it is not required and apparently some do and some do not.

I mean, part of this is just that it's a logistical nightmare to run proper sound on a moving set stage in the middle of a football stadium...set up in moments and torn down again immediately after.

But it certainly does lend itself more toward the "performer" and "vocalist only" type acts.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, Kael said:

The NFL needs to realize that things can't always be perfect. If Milli Vanilli taught me anything, performing to pre-recorded instrumentals is stupid. When instruments are played live, it brings such a great feeling.

23 hours ago, pf9 said:

The NFL needs to realize that things can't always be perfect. If Milli Vanilli taught me anything, performing to pre-recorded instrumentals is stupid. When instruments are played live, it brings such a great feeling.

Ashlee Simpson did it with her vocals even and it was just fine.  She did a cute lil dance and her career totally survived.

But no, seriously, how familiar are you with audio engineering?  Specifically, live music to the biggest broadcast audience of the year.

Have ya'll ever spent time in a recording studio, moving a microphone around on a guitar amplifier cabinet by tiny fractions of an inch to find the exact place and axis that hits just right on the speaker cone?  And then someone inadvertently bumps it slightly and it turns to awful scratchy bull****.  Much less...understanding how all modern music is layered extensively to create the sounds and textures that make up the sound people expect to hear.  And that's just one instrument.  Bass is extremely difficult to translate.  Drums at least you can usually get the mics pretty fixed for a lot of it...but it's still super finnicky and ya'll want to try to set up overhead mics to capture the cymbals and overall sound and spatial separation...on a moving stage in the middle of a jam packed raucous stadium blasting the sound through from every direction at the crowd?

Like...this isn't a concert you can just "set up" and extensively soundcheck and then wait for the moment.  By it's nature...it's pretty much gotta be midfield.  Which just introduces so many complications as you're setting it up, checking it, tearing it down and moving it out of the way.  Moving it back in with a huge rush during commercials, hoping everything is just ready to rock.  You're not getting a big window to stand there at the mics like, "check, check, check one two.  sssssssssssssssibilance  ssssssssssssssibilance peter pepper pop pop pop" and just run through everything to make sure it's all still queued up properly and good to go.  And even if it is...it's still gonna sound weak and small over the TV broadcast.

It's one thing when you're live at a concert and it can just get blasted at everyone so loud it overwhelms nuance.  It's something else when you're piping that source feed through people's crappy television speakers at home.  And the whole thing just comes out sounding small and weak and sad.  Because it takes so many levels of trickery and audio tweaking to make live rock band things sound good through any sound system.  From speakers in house to TV speakers to elaborate surround theatre type systems to someone watching on their iPad or Mobile Telephone or a Laptop, or whatever the local pub has that passes for a sound system.

There's a reason that even "Live Albums" from bands...end up going through ages of post production to tweak and balance and fill out the whole thing in an illusory effect to "mimic" that actual live experience of being blasted by volume that completely saturates your perception.  And will play properly through speakers other than the ones live at the actual venue.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1