Future Super Bowl halftime performers.

pf9

On 4/21/2024 at 8:22 PM, pf9 said:

Counterpoint - the halftime shows can start taking place at nearby NHL/NBA arenas and shown on video screens at the Super Bowl venue especially if cities like Cleveland want any chance at hosting the Super Bowl (they should get 62 since it is next in line to be awarded).

lmao.  I don't know what's more goofy here.  The idea of a Cleveland Superbowl?  Or the idea of shutting down the biggest game of the year to be like, "everyone, please turn your attention to videoscreens for a very special halftime performance LIVE! from somewhere else".

Not to mention, just ripping a huge opportunity for local flavor out of the entire event.

On 4/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, ET80 said:

Super Bowl should be best of 32 series, so each stadium could host it in a given year.

Hmmm...interesting premise.

I wonder if there are any other sports that do it this way?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The Harlem Globetrotters and the Savannah Bananas have a similar business model.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

lmao.  I don't know what's more goofy here.  The idea of a Cleveland Superbowl?  Or the idea of shutting down the biggest game of the year to be like, "everyone, please turn your attention to videoscreens for a very special halftime performance LIVE! from somewhere else".

Not to mention, just ripping a huge opportunity for local flavor out of the entire event.

What's goofy is that the NFL isn't currently rotating the Super Bowl fairly among the 30 markets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

What's goofy is that the NFL isn't currently rotating the Super Bowl fairly among the 30 markets.

There are more franchises that have no hope of hosting than those that do. Guess who has decided that? The Owners. The ones that aren't getting it are in agreement on this. Why do you think that is? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

Not as goofy as a Super Bowl in Cleveland or a halftime show performed off-site. 

4 hours ago, pf9 said:

Green Bay, Wisconsin wouldn't be able to handle a Super Bowl

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

There are more franchises that have no hope of hosting than those that do. Guess who has decided that? The Owners. The ones that aren't getting it are in agreement on this. Why do you think that is? 

Well, because they directly profit from it lol.

The detriment of being skipped over is to the citizens of the city and, theoretically, a competitive edge to the team.

Asking the guy who might net millions of dollars difference in revenue split between a hot market and Timbuktu if he's willing to sacrifice said edge doesn't seem like the best example of an unbiased party.

35 minutes ago, Malik said:

Green Bay, Wisconsin wouldn't be able to handle a Super Bowl

They could in theory, right? Like, they have a stadium and hotels and have games regularly, including playoff and conference championship games.

They just couldn't handle the size and spectacle that the NFL wants (your real point, I believe).

But that difference to me means that it's not a "we can't", its really just kind of a money/profitability thing, it seems.

Which is totally cool, but then I don't understand why the league doesn't do the AFC/NFC champ games in select cities as well.  Or the entire playoffs. Why not just give HFA to the bigger market always if we are trying to make money?

Or maybe host the SB in London or Tokyo or somewhere huge internationally? Maybe hold it in the KSA or somewhere where they can get a 500m bid to host the biggest event in the world?

It's like we want to dip our toe in the water, but are we sure we aren't going to get our ankles wet?

I know I'm jaded in my perspective on this because I'm an MMA fan, but being one has made me super cautious of the slippery slope of usurping potential competitive advantages in order to appease shareholders. And when MIA or NO has a 10x more likely chance to host the SB than say IND or NY (and a inf more chance than CLE lol), it seems significant.

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

FYI, in hindsight I'm going to come clean before @Jakuvious comes and fact checks me anyway - I totally made up that millions of dollars figure and, honestly, I totally made up that they even get any extra money at all apart from general team brand worth blah blah. 

But it does sound good so I'm sticking to it.

Edited by Soggust

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

The detriment of being skipped over is to the citizens of the city and, theoretically, a competitive edge to the team.

Asking the guy who might net millions of dollars difference in revenue split between a hot market and Timbuktu if he's willing to sacrifice said edge doesn't seem like the best example of an unbiased party.

The question was for pf9 for a reason. Were you under the impression I wasn't aware of the answer?

I think the NFL is close to making the SB in one location every year.

I don't really know why it would matter to have the SB in a large market anyway. People only tune in to it because it's in their region? Market size is important in a lot of different areas in sports for the money hungry, but I don't know why it would be in this case.

Cold weather is a real important factor. They complained like crazy when it was in Detroit, the personnel want a "nice climate and a hot scene". Although recent winters have been pretty mild in the area...

After bottlegate Cleveland is probably blackballed. Pittsburgh has been a top team for 50 years and they haven't hosted. You'd have to do something pretty special (financially) to host a football game in elements. One called the Super Bowl anyway.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:12 PM, Tugboat said:

Ashlee Simpson did it with her vocals even and it was just fine.  She did a cute lil dance and her career totally survived.

But no, seriously, how familiar are you with audio engineering?  Specifically, live music to the biggest broadcast audience of the year.

Have ya'll ever spent time in a recording studio, moving a microphone around on a guitar amplifier cabinet by tiny fractions of an inch to find the exact place and axis that hits just right on the speaker cone?  And then someone inadvertently bumps it slightly and it turns to awful scratchy bull****.  Much less...understanding how all modern music is layered extensively to create the sounds and textures that make up the sound people expect to hear.  And that's just one instrument.  Bass is extremely difficult to translate.  Drums at least you can usually get the mics pretty fixed for a lot of it...but it's still super finnicky and ya'll want to try to set up overhead mics to capture the cymbals and overall sound and spatial separation...on a moving stage in the middle of a jam packed raucous stadium blasting the sound through from every direction at the crowd?

Like...this isn't a concert you can just "set up" and extensively soundcheck and then wait for the moment.  By it's nature...it's pretty much gotta be midfield.  Which just introduces so many complications as you're setting it up, checking it, tearing it down and moving it out of the way.  Moving it back in with a huge rush during commercials, hoping everything is just ready to rock.  You're not getting a big window to stand there at the mics like, "check, check, check one two.  sssssssssssssssibilance  ssssssssssssssibilance peter pepper pop pop pop" and just run through everything to make sure it's all still queued up properly and good to go.  And even if it is...it's still gonna sound weak and small over the TV broadcast.

It's one thing when you're live at a concert and it can just get blasted at everyone so loud it overwhelms nuance.  It's something else when you're piping that source feed through people's crappy television speakers at home.  And the whole thing just comes out sounding small and weak and sad.  Because it takes so many levels of trickery and audio tweaking to make live rock band things sound good through any sound system.  From speakers in house to TV speakers to elaborate surround theatre type systems to someone watching on their iPad or Mobile Telephone or a Laptop, or whatever the local pub has that passes for a sound system.

There's a reason that even "Live Albums" from bands...end up going through ages of post production to tweak and balance and fill out the whole thing in an illusory effect to "mimic" that actual live experience of being blasted by volume that completely saturates your perception.  And will play properly through speakers other than the ones live at the actual venue.

True dat. I heard actual rips from a pearl jam performance and it was the worst thing i ever heard

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

This part is pretty spot on.  It's done in certain places because it's profitable to the "league as a whole".  It's also dangled as a shiny golden carrot for these owners, to invest billions of public taxpayer dollars in a brand new facility, or at least...massively overhauled.

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

They could in theory, right? Like, they have a stadium and hotels and have games regularly, including playoff and conference championship games.

They just couldn't handle the size and spectacle that the NFL wants (your real point, I believe).

But that difference to me means that it's not a "we can't", its really just kind of a money/profitability thing, it seems.

This part...is where it gets logistically questionable, or next to impossible.

It's such an enormous event these days.  It's not just about the crowd in the stadium.  Any NFL market will sell out the stadium and then some at exorbitant prices.  That's easy.  But the infrastructure and support to make the game really work as an "event", is not universal.

It's one thing to have fans from Green Bay and tons from the surrounding areas piling in for a regular game on Sunday.  That draw is heavily locally-skewed.  It's another thing for the Super Bowl.  Which draws a massive tourist crowd...plus enormous amounts of logistics and support staff just for the league, broadcast, performers, media, etc.

Just a quick googling confirms that Green Bay itself has ~4,000-5,000 hotel rooms.  That's...not nearly enough.  Not even close.  Not for an 80k seat stadium like Lambeau.  You're not going to have the "event" you want if most of the attendees and support staff have to stay 100+ miles away in Milwaukee to handle the overflow.  Which is still probably even questionable in terms of capacity.  Some places are just simply not built to handle mass tourism "Events".

The Jacksonville Bowl was an example of this.  Where the city simply does not have the dense commercial and tourism and hospitality capacity to handle such an enormous event.  Jacksonville "solved" the problem partially, by just docking a bunch of Cruise Ships as basically "temporary floating hotels" to bolster that capacity.  Which is a benefit of being on the coast.  That also helps with things like...feeding people.  Plus, just all the beaches and things.  How many bars, restaurants, etc. does Green Bay have?  Not enough.  How many things and places are there for tourists to hang out when they're not at the game for a few hours on Sunday?  How does that relate to capacity of the stadium as a ratio?  It just...doesn't work.

• Like 2