Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Why do you say that?

They know each other from way back, has head coach experience, been in the league for a while.

Seems a lot like the 09 Capers hire.

Marvin Lewis is going to take a year off IMO.  He's been a HC since 2003.  You have to go back to 1995 the last time he wasn't a DC or a HC.  The man is burned out.  You don't "announce" you're leaving unless you're ready to take time off.  If he was planning on wanting to coach next year, it wouldn't be announced until the end of the year that he was leaving.  He's done with coaching for a while.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Marvin Lewis is going to take a year off IMO.  He's been a HC since 2003.  You have to go back to 1995 the last time he wasn't a DC or a HC.  The man is burned out.  You don't "announce" you're leaving unless you're ready to take time off.  If he was planning on wanting to coach next year, it wouldn't be announced until the end of the year that he was leaving.  He's done with coaching for a while.

Oh ok, I got you. I was unaware of that. Your probably right then

Just now, SpeightTheVillain said:

Oh ok, I got you. I was unaware of that. Your probably right then

The timing of the whole thing is weird if he was trying to coach next year.  If he wanted to coach next year, he'd presumably want to continue as the Bengals' HC as opposed to a DC somewhere else.  Since he "announced" it earlier, he basically gave his assistants AND the organization a heads up so they can plan accordingly.  I'd be very, very shocked if he was coaching next year.  In fact, I'd expect him in the broadcast booth.

Conspiracy theory:

McCarthy's comments on "patterns of negativity" revolved around the defense being negative about Dom Capers and his play calling with overcomplicated schemes and checks and just stupid defense overall.  McCarthy addresses it by allowing the defense to just play.  Just line up, man up, do your job play. 

Defense thrives under those scenarios.  I don't care if it was below 0, there's no reason the Vikings should have scored only 16 points when the Packers were without 3/4 preferred corners, both starting pass rushers and more. 

Really just like to see Jim L stay at Wisconsin for a couple years because I like Bucky. He's already running Pro-style defenses with them tho, so would be an easy transition, I THINK.

I've heard friends calling for Kevin Greene to take over in GB too. I know Clay loved him, but he was more of a mentor than a coach, was he not?

Just now, duxrule said:

I've heard friends calling for Kevin Greene to take over in GB too. I know Clay loved him, but he was more of a mentor than a coach, was he not?

Doubt it.  He left under really weird circumstances.  The conspiracy theorist in me likes to think that he was fed up with Ernest's BS, and so was forced to leave.  I'm the only one hoping for a Clay Matthews resurgence and the biggest reason I think it can possibly happen is Greene's second half career.  I'm definitely on the Kevin Greene train 100% because I guaran-damn-tee he's not sitting in the press box on Sundays no matter how cold it gets. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Conspiracy theory:

McCarthy's comments on "patterns of negativity" revolved around the defense being negative about Dom Capers and his play calling with overcomplicated schemes and checks and just stupid defense overall.  McCarthy addresses it by allowing the defense to just play.  Just line up, man up, do your job play. 

Defense thrives under those scenarios.  I don't care if it was below 0, there's no reason the Vikings should have scored only 16 points when the Packers were without 3/4 preferred corners, both starting pass rushers and more. 

Seems unlikely.  McCarthy doesn't really have any experience coaching defense, and when they hired Dom as their DC several years ago Mike said they were like a co-DC.  Seems like the Vikings were playing rather vanilla last night.

11 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Read that Gus Bradley is a Free Agent?

He's a good one ... definitely a guy to consider.  From the article I posted below .... "Sources previously said Fangio and Edwards also have expiring deals. Fangio is a logical candidate to join the Green Bay Packers if Dom Capers doesn't return one way or another".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000897050/article/chargers-dc-gus-bradley-other-key-coordinators-are-18-fas

Just now, DocHambone said:

Not coordinator related, but 'the sky is falling' mentality is funny. A healthy Green Bay team is a very good team.

That's been the rallying cry for the past 7 years.  This year proved that's not true.  One defensive starter was placed on IR this year.  The defense is not good, and it won't be with Capers coordinating. 

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's been the rallying cry for the past 7 years.  This year proved that's not true.  One defensive starter was placed on IR this year.  The defense is not good, and it won't be with Capers coordinating. 

Still a good team with a bad defense though. Probably could/will be even better with a revamped defense.

It seems like eons ago, but they were 4-1 prior to Rodgers injury.

Archived