Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

5 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I read this the complete opposite way...taking emotion out of it means he won’t let the frustration of not making the playoffs affect his decisions.

i read it as it'd rather make a good decisions based on logic, fact and not no emotion. If MM fires DC because we didn't make the playoffs that's the wrong reason. It needs to be based on having a fair volume of team resources sent his way and falling short in the last number of years. This Defense has been continually provided early draft choices and still falls short year after year.

3 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Serious question, how much of the Jim Leonhard love on this board is Wisconsin homerism? Again I'm not an X's and O's guy...but you want to hand over the keys - for ideally a championship caliber team - over to a guy who's coached all of 2 years, never in the NFL, and only 1 as a DC. It sounds like a BIG leap to me. 

There could be some homerism going on here but you can't dismiss what he did with the Badgers' defense.  That squad isn't full of blue chip recruits and by the end of the regular season it was the #3 ranked defense in the country.  Leonard may  not be ready for the NFL but I don't think it will take too long.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

i read it as it'd rather make a good decisions based on logic, fact and not no emotion. If MM fires DC because we didn't make the playoffs that's the wrong reason. It needs to be based on having a fair volume of team resources sent his way and falling short in the last number of years. This Defense has been continually provided early draft choices and still falls short year after year.

I don't think Dom would be fired just because we missed the playoffs.  It will have more to do with a pattern of poor defensive play for a while now.

Brady Poppinga on KFAN in the Twin Cities talked a little Packer football with Ben Leber today. Pop is of the opinion that Capers is coaching his last two games as Packers DC. Don't know if he has any inside connection still with the team or just speculating.

Also, seemed to feel the Defense plays entitled when Rodgers came back as opposed to the prior weeks with Hundley. D feels they can afford to blow coverage, etc cause Rodgers can bail them out on the offensive end.

In some ways this means we are actually much worse than the Browns because they also have a terrible offense that doesn't score or hold the ball and turns it over a lot. Conversely we have the best QB in football and a top 10 offense when he's on the field. Think about that for a minute.

21 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I don't think Dom would be fired just because we missed the playoffs.  It will have more to do with a pattern of poor defensive play for a while now.

What's sad is that it took a serious injury to Aaron Rodgers to hopefully get Capers fired. If Rodgers never gets hurt, our defense still sucks just as badly but Rodgers covers it up per usual and we are probably a 9-10 win team right now. Then you wouldn't hear a peep about Capers. The guy should have been gone a long time ago. Rodgers just wasn't around to cover up his **** this time around. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

What's sad is that it took a serious injury to Aaron Rodgers to hopefully get Capers fired. If Rodgers never gets hurt, our defense still sucks just as badly but Rodgers covers it up per usual and we are probably a 9-10 win team right now.

We would easily have had a bye locked up by now if Rodgers never got hurt.  We just lost to the Panthers by a TD and Rodgers missed two touchdowns that turned into interceptions because he couldn't throw the ball far enough.  Vikings game was in hand until he got hurt.  Saints we would have beat.  Lions we would have outscored.  Ravens we would have beat.  Steelers we might have still lost to, not sure.  We'd have more like 10-12 wins by now. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I believe the only carry over from Bob Sanders' staff to Dom Capers' staff was Winston Moss.  What makes you believe that Whitt, Trg, etc. were Mike's choices and not Dom's?

I don't believe a 50 something year old coach would hire a bunch of guys he's never worked with before. Whitt was an assistant here under Sanders, Trg has a past with MM in 1999 here. Moss was here before Capers. So there's clearly a precedent for Mike hiring a DC and telling him who some of his position coaches need to be.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We would easily have had a bye locked up by now if Rodgers never got hurt.  We just lost to the Panthers by a TD and Rodgers missed two touchdowns that turned into interceptions because he couldn't throw the ball far enough.  Vikings game was in hand until he got hurt.  Saints we would have beat.  Lions we would have outscored.  Ravens we would have beat.  Steelers we might have still lost to, not sure.  We'd have more like 10-12 wins by now. 

Yes, but perhaps this will be a blessing in the long run.  Maybe now there will be a change on that side of the ball and the defense will improve enough so that Rodgers doesn't have to damn near perfect for us to beat a decent team going forward.

14 hours ago, Pugger said:

There could be some homerism going on here but you can't dismiss what he did with the Badgers' defense.  That squad isn't full of blue chip recruits and by the end of the regular season it was the #3 ranked defense in the country.  Leonard may  not be ready for the NFL but I don't think it will take too long.

In 2015 they had the #1 scoring defense in the county, 2016 was #6...so I’m not sure how impressed to be by #4 in the country this year. I haven’t watched them as all this year, so maybe there’s something the stats aren’t telling that have people excited about him. Again I’m not saying he can’t be the guy, just surprised with the jump people are expecting from him.

16 hours ago, Pugger said:

You listen to the comments about "pattern of negativity" that he said in his interview, and that seems to hint that there are going to be changes.

Archived