Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if Capers isn't fired, but there is still a strong chance that he will survive the season.  He's had similar results in several past seasons and has managed to avoid the chopping block, so why would this season be any different?  McCarthy isn't under any real pressure to make that move.  In a recent chat Aaron Nagler brought up a good point in saying that if McCarthy really thought it was all a Dom problem he would have fired the guy years ago.  Nagler also added that he thought McCarthy's decision not to fire Capers might signal that he feels it's more of a Ted and talent acquisition issue than anything Capers has or hasn't done.  I think there might be something to that.  For the record Nagler does think that this is the year Dom gets fired, so I guess we will see.

Except that's not really valid logic.  Sure, he could have fired him years ago.  Last year, Dom probably got a reprieve given the sheer amount of injuries at the CB position.  It doesn't matter how much pressure you're generating, if your corners can't even stay relatively close to the receivers the pressure will never get home.  We're not getting pressure this year, which is the staple of the Packers' D and their corners aren't really covering well either.

Surprised that no one is banging the Rex Ryan drum.

He's not my first choice (Bowles), but he is my second.

This defense needs bravado.  Ryan has never had a franchise QB like Rodgers and I think he'd play second fiddle to Rodgers for a couple of years.  Win a title or two, then look at being a head coach again.  Defensive players love him.  I'd venture a guess that Daniels, Dix, Jones and Matthews (if here) would all love that guy.

Sure he has an enormous mouth and ego, but if GB can hold it in check for a couple of years, I think they win another title.  And isn't that what it is about?  Winning Rodgers another title?

(Again, he's not my first choice, but he's better than any other name I've seen out there...maybe Fangio would be a tie with him.)

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This defense needs bravado.  Ryan has never had a franchise QB like Rodgers and I think he'd play second fiddle to Rodgers for a couple of years.  Win a title or two, then look at being a head coach again.  Defensive players love him.  I'd venture a guess that Daniels, Dix, Jones and Matthews (if here) would all love that guy.

Sure he has an enormous mouth and ego, but if GB can hold it in check for a couple of years, I think they win another title.  And isn't that what it is about?  Winning Rodgers another title?

(Again, he's not my first choice, but he's better than any other name I've seen out there...maybe Fangio would be a tie with him.)

How have his defenses actually ranked recently? I have no idea so I'm asking genuinely.

I'm not sure how his fantasy defenses have performed the past few years...  :)

I know in the past, defensive players love him.  If GB wanted to improve the defensive mindset, and go to an attacking defense.  He's the guy.  And he'd help recruit other players to GB...on defense.  

You just have to manage/control that mouth and ego.  And I'm unsure if it can happen.  As I stated, you gotta interview him...hard.  You have to make sure he knows that this is Aaron Rodgers' team and Mac's team first and foremost.  If he can handle that, suit up and win a title or two.

Outside of Wade Phillips and Mike Zimmer, he's my favorite defensive guy. 

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure how his fantasy defenses have performed the past few years...  :)

I know in the past, defensive players love him.  If GB wanted to improve the defensive mindset, and go to an attacking defense.  He's the guy.  And he'd help recruit other players to GB...on defense.  

You just have to manage/control that mouth and ego.  And I'm unsure if it can happen.  As I stated, you gotta interview him...hard.  You have to make sure he knows that this is Aaron Rodgers' team and Mac's team first and foremost.  If he can handle that, suit up and win a title or two.

Outside of Wade Phillips and Mike Zimmer, he's my favorite defensive guy. 

His defenses as a HC count, similar to our offense is a reflection of MM.

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I did, but believe he'd have to cut his Samson hair to do so....

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Former Bills complain that his defense with all the checks/changes at the LOS made football into rocket science. Isn't that exactly what we're trying to get rid of? An old guy who's scheme is out of touch with today's player?

Big NO to either Ryan.

What Bills complained again?  Mario Williams?  Dareous?

I'm seriously asking, I cannot find the quotes, although I do know that they are out there.  I just thought it came more from unmotivated guys that aren't even Bills anymore.

I told yah, he's not my first choice, but he's up there for me.  The D needs some swagger and attitude.  I think Bowles is perfect, as he leads by example and is a true teacher.  

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What Bills complained again?  Mario Williams?  Dareous?

I'm seriously asking, I cannot find the quotes, although I do know that they are out there.  I just thought it came more from unmotivated guys that aren't even Bills anymore.

I told yah, he's not my first choice, but he's up there for me.  The D needs some swagger and attitude.  I think Bowles is perfect, as he leads by example and is a true teacher.  

Some of their ex DB's, think it was Robey and Gilmore.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Former Bills complain that his defense with all the checks/changes at the LOS made football into rocket science. Isn't that exactly what we're trying to get rid of? An old guy who's scheme is out of touch with today's player?

Big NO to either Ryan.

Do you think players in the past were more equipped for complicated schemes? Genuinely curious.

Agreed though. No thanks to Ryan

4 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Do you think players in the past were more equipped for complicated schemes? Genuinely curious.

Interesting thought.   Likely a group of factors that play into things.

--college FB is enough different vs NFL that players coming out have a tough time adapting to the more complex defensive checks and switches

--NFL offenses (experienced QB's) have a lot more freedom to change plays and are (potentially) better at recognizing defenses and can check the offense into a better play

--increase use of RPO and other check with me type plays allows the offense to alter the play post snap based on the recognition of the skill players

--the amount of film and analytics used now vs 10-15 years ago makes things seem more predictable.  Romo was really quite accurate in telling the audience a play as the play clock was running down based on down, distance, personnel grouping/package, formation, etc

14 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

They were used to playing more NFL like schemes. Today college is so much about getting your best athletes the ball in space and less about the scheme to get you there. On defense the systems are dumbed down so players can more freely react to what they see. Then you get to the NFL where everyone is the top athlete from their college team and it's much more scheme driven. The senior year is huge for most college guys, it's when they're given a bulk of the pre-snap responsibilities as defenders. It's why guys like Hayward and Hyde could come right in and succeed where as King and Jones had ups and downs this year. They hadto do a little more critical thinking pre-snap, so it's not all so new when they get here.

32 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I do.  Even Dom's scheme.  It takes veterans at all levels of the defense to really lock down that scheme.  Woodson, Hawk, Jenkins, Collins....  Those guys just understood things.  Charles more than anyone and he was the glue that held that crew together.

Nowadays you just don't get that many vets on one side of the ball.  

I look at it like this...DC's scheme is based on recognition and football reactions to recognizing what is going on in front of you.  

With younger players, that leads to too much thinking, as illustrated earlier with the Jones example.

I think the better schemes today or more aggressive in nature and cause the offense to react more than the defense.  Personally, I want a blend...and I think all defenses do.  Attack on the defensive line, then cover up that attacking scheme with solid coverages behind it.  If GB were at full health with House and King, I think we would have seen more of that attacking style as those corners could have played press man.  Randall could have played off some in the slot.  

It would have been nice to see that style.  Hopefully they get House back, as I think he has nice value as a third corner and I still think he has some good ball left in him.  Give me King, House, Randall, Hawkins and a draft pick in rounds one, two or three and I think the squad will be good.  Not fine, but good. 

Archived