Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except there was no way that the Packers either could have known Micah Hyde would thrive as a single-high safety OR relegated HHCD or Morgan Burnett to the 3rd safety role.  This is a glass half-full, half-empty discussion.  And quite frankly, the latter seems to be more dishonest.  IF the Packers had re-signed Hyde to the same deal that he got from Buffalo and started over HHCD or Morgan Burnett, fans would be at Lambeau with pitchforks.  It'd be like Patriots getting irrationally upset if Jimmy G ends up being a franchise QB.  It'd be one thing if the Packers had been starting the likes of Jerron McMillian or M.D. Jennings instead of Hyde, but that isn't the case.  We had two really good safeties that the Packers had a TON of comfort with them.  That happens, no reason to cry over spilled milk.

How could the Packers not know what they had ? Isn't that part of talent evaluation and coaching ? Finding out what your guys can and cannot do and put them in the best situation to succeed and help your team ? Hayward was drafted in 2012, Hyde in 2013, and HHCD in 2104. I'll gladly concede the Hyde timeline is tight, but many here thought his best position may end up being at Safety. Your Jimmy G example is a good one, but carries with it a big, fat, huge if. It rarely happens and It happened to us not once but twice. Granted, you can connect the dots any which way you like, but when I connect them it reveals a huge problem. One could argue staying on the current path would find HHCD regressing all the way to M.D. Jennings. There is way too much smoke not to be fire. And when players start going public you know something is amiss

34 minutes ago, squire12 said:

--the amount of film and analytics used now vs 10-15 years ago makes things seem more predictable. 

Its been a pretty amazing change for the NFL. I don't think most fans have really appreciated the changes that advanced film review and analytics have brought to the modern game. Every single play is tagged, sorted, stored and available at the push of a button. The Packers employ multiple people ( 7) just in pulling together video and analytics for the coaches to review

Chris Kirby,  Video Director

Andy Muckerheide,  Assistant Video Director

Nick Goddard,  Video Assistant

Mike Halbach,  Director of Football Technology

Ryan Feder, Football Technology Analyst

Connor Lewis, Football Technology Analyst

Chris Gaines, Football Technology Assistant

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Its been a pretty amazing change for the NFL. I don't think most fans have really appreciated the changes that advanced film review and analytics have brought to the modern game. Every single play is tagged, sorted, stored and available at the push of a button. The Packers employ multiple people ( 7) just in pulling together video and analytics for the coaches to review

Chris Kirby,  Video Director

Andy Muckerheide,  Assistant Video Director

Nick Goddard,  Video Assistant

Mike Halbach,  Director of Football Technology

Ryan Feder, Football Technology Analyst

Connor Lewis, Football Technology Analyst

Chris Gaines, Football Technology Assistant

sounds like a fun gig

28 minutes ago, cannondale said:

How could the Packers not know what they had ? Isn't that part of talent evaluation and coaching ? Finding out what your guys can and cannot do and put them in the best situation to succeed and help your team ? Hayward was drafted in 2012, Hyde in 2013, and HHCD in 2104. I'll gladly concede the Hyde timeline is tight, but many here thought his best position may end up being at Safety. Your Jimmy G example is a good one, but carries with it a big, fat, huge if. It rarely happens and It happened to us not once but twice. Granted, you can connect the dots any which way you like, but when I connect them it reveals a huge problem. One could argue staying on the current path would find HHCD regressing all the way to M.D. Jennings. There is way too much smoke not to be fire. And when players start going public you know something is amiss

I agree .. the Packers experimented with Hyde enough at safety to know what they had .. they just decided they had two better safeties I guess?  The issue I have is that this is supposed to be a draft/develop/sign your own organization, and in the case of Hyde and Hayward they didn't follow their own plan and now look a little silly.  We could really have used those players going forward.  

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree .. the Packers experimented with Hyde enough at safety to know what they had .. they just decided they had two better safeties I guess?  The issue I have is that this is supposed to be a draft/develop/sign your own organization, and in the case of Hyde and Hayward they didn't follow their own plan and now look a little silly.  We could really have used those players going forward.  

Not only could we have used those players, but we could have really used the players we would have drafted instead of drafting a new secondary twice and maybe three times. Apparently that Rodgers window will last forever.

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not only could we have used those players, but we could have really used the players we would have drafted instead of drafting a new secondary twice and maybe three times. Apparently that Rodgers window will last forever.

be great to have twice as much salary cap as every other team too.

There wasn't a bigger Hayward supporter during his time with GB than me, bought a J out the gate the whole thing. But the guy is constantly dealing with leg injuries and he doesn't have a whole lot of speed to spare. Was Casey fine being relegated to a nickel back in our scheme? In real time I thought moving on was the correct choice even though it felt like shooting Lassie to me.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

There wasn't a bigger Hayward supporter during his time with GB than me, bought a J out the gate the whole thing. But the guy is constantly dealing with leg injuries and he doesn't have a whole lot of speed to spare. Was Casey fine being relegated to a nickel back in our scheme? In real time I thought moving on was the correct choice even though it felt like shooting Lassie to me.

This. This was the sentiment at the time. We also had a stud in Shields. Only now with hindsight and having lost the stud to a career ending injury does anyone question the move.

Props for admitting this.

If GB had cut Randall mid season and he went on to be a pro bowler in 3 years some people here who were whining he should be cut would be saying TT was dumb for cutting him and that they knew better the whole time.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

be great to have twice as much salary cap as every other team too.

He's the same kind of guy that said we should let him and Hyde walk and draft a big corner who's really fast. Stupid Ted......wait.

53 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I love that you are honest and didn't go OMG I KNEW ALL ALONG I AM SMART AND KNOW EVERYTHING AND WAS ALWAYS RIGHT. Here's the thing, you liked him all along, so you aren't really wrong. But you understood it. That's the entire damn point the level headers are trying to make, but the FIRE EVERYONE crowd can't have that.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Wrong again - as usual - no hindsight needed if we would have used the players correctly to begin with. Keep balancing on the ever shrinking crumbling ground that's left defending our overpaid, outdated, overly complicated, coordinator and his scheme.

Proof?

No.

Don't care. Your reputation precedes you.

I agree with using guys correctly though. But all these geniuses that wanted these guys back can never back it up. They're also the EXACT group that always wants everyone fired and cut.

Archived