2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, HyponGrey said:

So how many UDFA do we have space for? 

I dont know...but according to Ingalls's we were close to being maxxed out before the later rounds of the draft.
My take? They'll figure it out :)

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I dont know...but according to Ingalls's we were close to being maxxed out before the later rounds of the draft.
My take? They'll figure it out :)

Oh I'm sure there will be releases to accommodate. I was just curious what our initial flurry was likely to look like.

I've been playing around with my 53 projections and some things are already quite clear. To keep all our draft picks especially having a 3rd QB in Pratt it will have some implications to the make up of our roster. Can't have an extra WR or extra RB or extra OL

QB | Love - Clifford - Pratt [3]
RB | Jacobs - Lloyd - Dillon [3]
TE | Musgrave - Kraft - Davis - Sims [4]
WR | Watson - Doubs - Reed - Wicks - Melton - Heath [6]
OL | Morgan - Jenkins - Myers - Rhyan - Tom - Walker - Glover - Monk - Jennings [9]

OFFENCE: 25

S | McKinney - Bullard - Williams - Oladapo [4]
CB | Alexander - Stokes - Valentine - Balentine - Nixon - King [6]
LB | Walker - McDuffie - Cooper - Hopper - Welch [5]
EDGE | Preston - Gary - Van Ness - Engabare - Cox [5]
DT | Clark - Wyatt - Slaton - Brooks - Wooden [5]

DEFENCE: 25

ST | Carlson - Whelan - Bowden [3]

TOTAL: 53

Because of the switch to the 4-3 I think we will be seeing more surprise cuts on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe Brenton Cox, maybe an interior lineman who may be ill suited to the new scheme such as Wooden and perhaps our entire existing safety group will be cut for our newly drafted ones.

Perhaps we can go with just 4 EDGE and 4 DT which will open up roster spots in other positions. I can't see us cutting a WR or CB because of ST. We need gunners and jammers.

(Edit: i'm completely wrong - the kickoff changes will prioritise LB body types over CB body types.)

So there's a good chance that Heath and/or King roster spots will go to LB/TE/FB. Woah, mind blown. Eric Wilson or Henry Pearson could make the roster instead. Maybe that's why we didn't bother drafting a CB and WR because we're already well stocked.

The punt units will still need gunners and jammers we just don't need to stock as many of them now.

For ST I expect us to keep Welch on the roster because apparently he was a major cog for us last year and perhaps Rochell too but the whole point of this exercise was to keep all our draft picks which is why King is in instead of Rochell.

DeBose has to either outplay Melton or beat out Heath on ST or it's PS again for him.

The OL in this scenario i'm guessing Walker will become our swing tackle. I didn't have to but I absolutely dislike Newman and I forced him off of the roster with Jennings. It would mean we would have an entirely new group of backup interior OL. I think we will give up on all our bigs development projects such as Jones, Tenuta, Telfort. One of them will make the PS though for sure. Dillard doesn't have a prayer of making the roster judging from his tape and lack of position versatility.

We got room for maybe one or two UDFA. Obviously Jennings is in, also I reckon Bowden has a shot at the roster as we seek to improve our ST group.

Edited by Chili

After having my mind blown with the implications of our new kickoff rules I tried to build our kickoff lineups to help me figure out how to build the 53 man roster.

I noticed that there wasn't much of a gap between the returner and the blockers which means there's less grass to cover so the returner is more likely going to run through the middle rather than towards the boundary. This suggests having gunners on the outside would not work because by the time they reach the returner the returner has already gone past the scrimmage line, so therefore the gunners would need to be placed inside. It would mean the outside would keep contain whilst the inside chasers focus on stopping the returner.

Because of the smaller gap between the returner and blockers I think speed becomes less important for the chasing team, there's less ground to cover. If all the blockers are all LB/TE/FB types then you would need guys strong enough and agile enough to get past them which again likely means LB/TE/FB types or oversized S/RB/WR like Dillon or Oladapo.

Actually after thinking about it more, teams might want at least one chaser with excellent speed to chase the returner if he breaks through the line. The chasers in the spreadsheet are no-way near quick enough to run after Nixon if he breaks through. Might need to drop Oladapo or Heath for someone faster. The kicker would be f**ked on his own on an island trying to stop Nixon.

Would the returner need a wing man? someone fast enough to keep up and block anyone chasing after the returner if he breaks through the line. Maybe there's a case to be made for one ultra speedy blocker and chaser in the lineups?

I think this lineup goes to show that Wilson will make the 53 so I would need to adjust my roster in the post above. May have to drop one CB or one WR though. Dillon is in the kickoff teams because he has a LB type body, actually saves us a roster spot. Maybe we should've drafted Braedon Allen or Estime, would've been smart long term play. The kickoff rules and lots of nickle defences means bigger RBs might come into fashion again. Also returners need to be shifty, have short area quickness and look for openings like a RB. The value of RBs is going to go up and up.

YQz2Qb1.png

Edited by Chili

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I've been playing around with my 53 projections and some things are already quite clear. To keep all our draft picks especially having a 3rd QB in Pratt it will have some implications to the make up of our roster. Can't have an extra WR or extra RB or extra OL

QB | Love - Clifford - Pratt [3]
RB | Jacobs - Lloyd - Dillon [3]
TE | Musgrave - Kraft - Davis - Sims [4]
WR | Watson - Doubs - Reed - Wicks - Melton - Heath [6]
OL | Morgan - Jenkins - Myers - Rhyan - Tom - Walker - Glover - Monk - Jennings [9]

OFFENCE: 25

S | McKinney - Bullard - Williams - Oladapo [4]
CB | Alexander - Stokes - Valentine - Balentine - Nixon - King [6]
LB | Walker - McDuffie - Cooper - Hopper - Welch [5]
EDGE | Preston - Gary - Van Ness - Engabare - Cox [5]
DT | Clark - Wyatt - Slaton - Brooks - Wooden [5]

DEFENCE: 25

ST | Carlson - Whelan - Bowden [3]

TOTAL: 53

Because of the switch to the 4-3 I think we will be seeing more surprise cuts on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe Brenton Cox, maybe an interior lineman who may be ill suited to the new scheme such as Wooden and perhaps our entire existing safety group will be cut for our newly drafted ones.

Perhaps we can go with just 4 EDGE and 4 DT which will open up roster spots in other positions. I can't see us cutting a WR or CB because of ST. We need gunners and jammers.

(Edit: i'm completely wrong - the kickoff changes will prioritise LB body types over CB body types.)

So there's a good chance that Heath and/or King roster spots will go to LB/TE/FB. Woah, mind blown. Eric Wilson or Henry Pearson could make the roster instead. Maybe that's why we didn't bother drafting a CB and WR because we're already well stocked.

The punt units will still need gunners and jammers we just don't need to stock as many of them now.

For ST I expect us to keep Welch on the roster because apparently he was a major cog for us last year and perhaps Rochell too but the whole point of this exercise was to keep all our draft picks which is why King is in instead of Rochell.

DeBose has to either outplay Melton or beat out Heath on ST or it's PS again for him.

The OL in this scenario i'm guessing Walker will become our swing tackle. I didn't have to but I absolutely dislike Newman and I forced him off of the roster with Jennings. It would mean we would have an entirely new group of backup interior OL. I think we will give up on all our bigs development projects such as Jones, Tenuta, Telfort. One of them will make the PS though for sure. Dillard doesn't have a prayer of making the roster judging from his tape and lack of position versatility.

We got room for maybe one or two UDFA. Obviously Jennings is in, also I reckon Bowden has a shot at the roster as we seek to improve our ST group.

I doubt if all the rookies are making the final 53. Soem are destined for the PS. Highly likely PS candidates: Pratt, Glover (whose body needs A LOT of work in the weight room), King (Rochelle is just too good on special teams to replace with King) possibly he beats out Ballentine though. LB Wilson is also pretty good on specials. He'll find his way onto the game day roster somehow, maybe instead of Pratt. The roster is young, but it's looking very good!

One editing note: It is TE Mims, not Sims. 

• Leader changed the title to 2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Two other interesting ones besides Eason, Lecitus Smith was a 2022 6th round pick of the Cardinals and Kaden Davis spent all of 2022 on the Broncos practice squad, played for the Michigan Panthers and then spent all of 2023 on the Cardinals PS. Was just released on Saturday of last week, 4.44 speed.