2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're correct, but I don't think it was that long. I think there were at best 3 games, that it was a real platoon (50:50 snaps) happening intentionally, vs. Rams, vs. Chargers, @ Lions. 

The other ones IIRC tended to be a combination of "give him 1 or 2 drives" and Walker coming out for a play to get his knee/ankle adjusted and they left Nijman in for the rest of the drive. 

We may be having semantics difference. I did forget about that weird middle stretch. I was thinking more of stretch run and the playoffs. 

Yeah, totally by the stretch Walker had won the competition.  By the end, Nijman was a swing backup like any other swing backup, the starters play every snap unless injured or it's mop-up time.  Definitely the three 35-31-27 were real competition/platoon games.  

The 8-17-19 games, beats me, maybe Walker was injured during some or all of of those.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to think this through and to understand it.  

In my mind, injury-based replacement is one simple and straightforward thing.  It's the national injury league, and guys get hurt all the time.  Did Walker get injured for 8-17-19 plays in those games?  Totally possible, and injury may have full explanatory power for the 8-17-19 games, such that really the 35-31-27 three games were the only true coaches-choice time shares.  

In my mind, "give him 1 or 2 drives" is kinda different from "he's dinged."  *IF* coaches were voluntarily doing "give him 1 or 2 drives", without injury cause, I perceive that as unusual NFL choice.  Over the last 15 year, how often have Packer coaches voluntarily done "give him 1 or 2 drives" to a backup?  

I kinda feel like voluntary "give him 1 or 2 drives" could be an intriguing form of competition.  Starter, it's 1 or 2 drives now; but if you fall asleep and miss a read, or if you don't play to the whistle, 1 or 2 drives might become 3 or 4 drives.  Light a fire!  Backup, it's 1 or 2 drives now; but if you look great, maybe it will become 3 or 4 drives?  Light a fire!  Don't just drink and play Halo or whatever, watch film, look for every edge you can get on the next opponent, be ready for whatever drives you do get on Sunday, and put some good film up for your next contract, even if it's with Carolina or somebody other than Green Bay.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

....I don't believe for a minute that they consider Newman to be real competition for Rhyan. Rhyan looked like a genuine starter at RG. Newman looked like he was holding on for dear life ...

You are almost certainly correct.  Definitely not "real competition".  I was just wondering whether hypothetically *somebody* might emerge as next-man-up at guard, whether Newman or somebody else.  And might perhaps get "give him 1 or 2 drives" as "light-a-fire" motivation.  Remotely unlikely that Newman or anybody else is good enough to create even "give him 1 or 2 drives" usage.  

8 hours ago, craig said:

You are almost certainly correct.  Definitely not "real competition".  I was just wondering whether hypothetically *somebody* might emerge as next-man-up at guard, whether Newman or somebody else.  And might perhaps get "give him 1 or 2 drives" as "light-a-fire" motivation.  Remotely unlikely that Newman or anybody else is good enough to create even "give him 1 or 2 drives" usage.  

Newman needs to be cut. He's making over 3 million this year if he's on the roster. Cut his ***, he's terrible. 

56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Newman needs to be cut. He's making over 3 million this year if he's on the roster. Cut his ***, he's terrible. 

Newman's cap hit is more than Tom, Walker and Rhyan combined. He got the contract escalator because he started 16 games as a rookie.  That probably hurts his chances of making the team now. He'll likely be cut and signed by somebody for about a million. 

8 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Newman's cap hit is more than Tom, Walker and Rhyan combined. He got the contract escalator because he started 16 games as a rookie.  That probably hurts his chances of making the team now. He'll likely be cut and signed by somebody for about a million. 

All three of the guys you mentioned are getting the escalator next year that Newman got. Although, I could see Tom getting an extension before the start of next year. 

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

At Packers minicamp, Jaire Alexander, Xavier McKinney and Keisean Nixon have been given the minicamp off by coach Matt LaFleur. They’ve previously exceeded their threshold for offseason participation to qualify for their workout bonuses. LaFleur has raved about all three.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Jordan Morgan is the starting right tackle during first 11-on-11 period. Andre Dillard at left tackle with Jenkins, Myers and Rhyan inside.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Eric Wilson all over a swing pass to AJ Dillon. Nice play by the veteran linebacker. He’s been a consistent starter in 43 so far. We’ll see if that changes in camp and if Hopper/Cooper can make some inroads there.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Free play on a hard count by Love followed by an easy 11-yard completion to Doubs.

OL is now Walker - Jenkins - Myers - Morgan - Dillard

Big catch over the middle from Love to Reed. Offense is feeling it so far today.

Marques Eversoll
@MarquesEversoll

#Packers first Team Period —

- Love play-action fake, rolls left, hits Doubs for 15

- Love changes play, Jacobs runs right thru *huge hole* for big gain.
- Eric Wilson blows up a throw-back screen to Dillon for loss.

- Love hard count draws Cox offsides, hits Doubs for 10.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
Clifford completes to Malik Heath over the middle but would have been a hospital ball in a live game.

Julian Hicks with a nice run on an end around.

Pratt to Heath on a run solution. Nice awareness and read from the rookie QB. Followed by Pratt to DuBose on a nice play over the middle!

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Rookie safety Javon Bullard getting some slot reps in #Packers nickel defense. No Keisean Nixon today, opening up those reps. Nickel corner was part of Bullard’s college resume.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Red zone drills coming up:

Short completion to Doubs for 2. 2nd and 8.

Interesting play. Potential sack by I think Preston Smith. Let the play run. Complete to Jacobs who makes a great move and takes it into the end zone but they call him down.

Love compete to Melton on a quick out.

Elgton currently in at center!!!!

Brenton Cox with a fantastic pressure. Malik Heath caught in the back of the end zone but couldn’t get the 2nd foot in. Bullard in coverage.

3rd and goal from the 4 upcoming.

Love to Reed for a touchdown who celebrates with a backflip. Brenton Cox with another fantastic pressure, this time beating Andre Dillard clean. Back to back great practices from Cox.

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Notable starters in team:

OL: Dillard, Jenkins, Myers, Ryan, Morgan.

Bullard and Johnson at safety (minus McKinney), Stokes and Valentine at corner (minus Alexander). Ballantine the third corner (minus Nixon).

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

MarShawn Lloyd is seriously so f’n quick. It’s so impressive. Just made a sick juke in the open field.

Zayne Anderson follows it up with an easy pick of a Sean Clifford throw over the middle. Bad decision by Clifford.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
·
1h
Ty’Ron Hopper just knifed through on a blitz for a pressure/potential sack in red zone.

Pratt to Swinson for a touchdown on a bootleg on red zone. Pratt off to a great start today.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Pratt fired perfectly low for Toure in the end zone for a td. some conversation if he caught it but looked like he did. Perfect placement from 17.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Anderson just picked off Clifford again. Throw over the middle was behind Grant DuBose and deflected. Anderson came down with it.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Great out route and perfect throw from Clifford to Heath.

Emanuel Wilson with a nice run. Big hole generated behind the massive duo of Kadeem Telfort and Caleb Jones on the right side.

Next play same thing. Good blocking from Telfort/Clifford. Eric Wilson did a nice job making sure it wasn’t a bigger play.

Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Edgerrin Cooper just had a blitz unblocked off the right edge and would have flattened Sean Clifford, if Clifford wasn’t wearing a red jersey. Impressive burst from the rookie linebacker, and a sign #Packers are thinking creatively with him.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Julian Hicks with an impressive catch on an outside throw from Clifford.

Love puts one up deep down the field, Dontayvion Wicks goes up and gets it. Bullard and Valentine in coverage. Ok throw. Not great coverage. Great catch by Wicks.

Love’s next pass batted down at the line.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Jordan Love to Jayden Reed deep down the field for a touchdown. Reed beat Ballentine clean. Maybe a tick underthrown but Reed easily went up and got it for the TD.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
Good day for the defense so far. Banks PBU, Wilson in the backfield couple times, Anderson’s two INTs, Ford with a nice run stop. LaFleur didn’t seem too pleased with how far back toward Love that Enagbare pushed Morgan. Then Love responds with a beautiful 22-yard lofted TD pass to Reed down the left side.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Two minute drill. Down 28-21. 0 timeouts. 1:09 remaining. Ball at the 50. First and 10. 1’s up first.

Love complete to Doubs on a crosser. 5 yards. Clock ticks.

Love throws a duck over the middle. Seemed to come off his hand weird.

3rd and 5 upcoming. 48 seconds left. Incomplete. Bullard with great coverage on Watson.

Ballentine on a blitz off the slot. Love fires on a crosser to Watson. Valentine with great coverage. Incomplete. Couldn’t tell if Watson dropped it or Ballentine broke it up. Defense wins either way.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Eric Wilson all over a swing pass to AJ Dillon. Nice play by the veteran linebacker. He’s been a consistent starter in 43 so far. We’ll see if that changes in camp and if Hopper/Cooper can make some inroads there.

We need to keep Wilson on the team.  He will be good on special teams and is competent when called upon to play defense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We need to keep Wilson on the team.  He will be good on special teams and is competent when called upon to play defense.

this...

We're deeper at LB than we think TBH and the Cooper and Hopper picks were essentially two different dudes with two different skill sets and roles. Obviously, Cooper was drafted to be a starter, but Hopper will have a unique role in this defensive scheme as evidenced by his blitzing abilities.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Who is your projected starting O line and how do you feel about each of them and as a group?

Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom

I'm 95% sure (absent injury) this will be the starting 5. Morgan won't be ready to unseat Walker.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Who is your projected starting O line and how do you feel about each of them and as a group?

I think they are going to be exceptional. The depth is very suspect though. Probably our thinnest position outside of the quarterback room. I'd love one veteran who could play all three interior offensive line positions. I'd also like a vet QB, but know that isn't happening. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom

I'm 95% sure (absent injury) this will be the starting 5. Morgan won't be ready to unseat Walker.  

This is likely with Morgan being the next guy up at all five positions. We'd likely move two guys to get Morgan on the field as next man up. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1