2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:
  • Karl Brooks just completely reset the line of scrimmage vs Jordan Morgan on a Jacobs run.

Ugh

I think this is a redshirt year for Morgan. Needs to get stronger and coached up. I keep going back to Belichick saying, "he's a left tackle!" It was pretty definitive during the draft that was where he thought he belonged. 

Need to go grab a vet interior offensive lineman for depth. That is assuming Rhyan can be a starter that doesn't hurt you. I was not pissed at the way he played last year. 

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:
  • Watson mosses Stokes in the end zone. Not just a speed guy. Watson knows how to use his size too, even against a big corner.

This is what I want to hear.

• Like 1

Embedding tweets is finally working. Bloody Musk! why you inconvenience me so.

Anyway I figured the best 5 would end up looking like this.

Morgan-Jenkins-Myers-Tom-Walker

Instead the Packers are looking at this

Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Morgan-Tom

Why draft a left tackle in the first round only to shove him in at guard. It was the first time we drafted a tackle in the first round in 14 years. Everyone knew that we had to be proactive at replacing Bakhtiari and Gute did exactly that.

Then the coaches started meddling.....

I went back and looked at the scouts and coaches comments on Morgan when we drafted him and to be fair I have to admit most of them were non-committal with him being at left tackle, regularly mentioning his potential versatility despite having only ever played LT his entire college career. They're trying to shape him into what they WANT him to be instead of letting him play in his natural position first and seeing what happens.

Makes me feel like we drafted someone that the team ultimately didn't want.

Walker is a 7th round pick, he's not that important yet. Just move him around instead. He doesn't own the LT spot. He rotated with Nijman after Bakthiari was out for the season and ultimately ended up being the full time starter. If they were that confident in Walker they wouldn't have drafted Morgan and instead used their precious draft pick on someone else.

Just move Walker to the right and begin the process of moving Tom inside. Apparently the Packers believe Tom can be a even better player if he moves inside.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just move Walker to the right and begin the process of moving Tom inside. Apparently the Packers believe Tom can be a even better player if he moves inside

What actions have the GB Packers done that leads to the statement that "they believe Tom can be an even better player if he was moved inside"?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I was just thinking, "who gets pushed out to make room for him?"

The only person who it could possibly be is Wooden and sounds like the added weight has made him a new player as well. 

Who knows, maybe Ford goes on to have a Mike Pennell type of career. 

I was kind of thinking on the same lines.  Keeping Ford means getting rid of (most likely) Slaton, Brooks, or Wooden if it is a DL for DL swap.  If we want to keep an extra DL, that probably comes at the expense of a 6th WR, 4th TE, 4th RB.  Other players I think should be safe, but could be cut are Eric Wilson and Corey Ballentine, but I would argue that both are better at their respective positions, and special teams than Ford.  

Could they perhaps trade Slaton? He has been the better player, but will most likely see real money as a FA after this season.  But will also likely fetch a better return than Ford.  Could Ford be good enough to make the difference marginal, if Brooks, Wooden, and Wyatt get more PT? FWIW, I wouldn't do this, I would probably try to re-sign Slaton, but I am just spit-balling some ideas.  

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good to hear it. 

Also sounds like they maybe got Jaire's meds right lol. 

+++

That said, my god, Davante must have texted every dude he ever worked with asking them to go upstairs and talk to the GM about trading for him. 

Don Barclay probably got a text at 3 in the morning asking him to go talk to the owner of the Ford dealership he's working at and seeing if the dude could use another sales guy. 

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was kind of thinking on the same lines.  Keeping Ford means getting rid of (most likely) Slaton, Brooks, or Wooden if it is a DL for DL swap.  If we want to keep an extra DL, that probably comes at the expense of a 6th WR, 4th TE, 4th RB.  Other players I think should be safe, but could be cut are Eric Wilson and Corey Ballentine, but I would argue that both are better at their respective positions, and special teams than Ford.  

Could they perhaps trade Slaton? He has been the better player, but will most likely see real money as a FA after this season.  But will also likely fetch a better return than Ford.  Could Ford be good enough to make the difference marginal, if Brooks, Wooden, and Wyatt get more PT? FWIW, I wouldn't do this, I would probably try to re-sign Slaton, but I am just spit-balling some ideas.  

Ford's status isn't changing due to anybody that weighs less than 310 pounds. 

If Hafley wants a 3rd fatty, Ford is in. If Hafley doesn't need the 3rd Fatty, Ford is out. 

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can't trade Slaton and keep Ford. Ford would have had to make a monumental leap to be in Slaton's company. I'm not saying Slaton is great either. I'm also not sure I'm going to give Slaton another contract given all the player, I'd expect to have to extend over the next three years. 

I don't think you trade and downgrade when you have Super Bowl aspirations. Especially, when you are getting on the come with Ford. 

13 minutes ago, Chili said:

Embedding tweets is finally working. Bloody Musk! why you inconvenience me so.

I was talking to Elon last week.  He said, "Dave (we are on a first name basis), that Chili guy really chaps my ***, how can I mess with him?" I told him to make it really difficult to embed tweets.  We got you good!

I think you are just underselling Rasheed Walker.  He is at the very least a functional LT, as evidenced by last season's play.  Do you recall any games where Rasheed was getting destroyed last season?  I don't.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ford's status isn't changing due to anybody that weighs less than 310 pounds. 

If Hafley wants a 3rd fatty, Ford is in. If Hafley doesn't need the 3rd Fatty, Ford is out. 

While I agree with this, who is the second fatty? I get Slaton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Ford ends up being traded. He's far from a world beater, but he's a guy that could eat some snaps for a team looking for a fatty. Just don't think we've got the reps for him. 

Maybe, it could just be camp smoke. Hafley’s interview, he went out of his way to praise Slaton. If he has a big year he could get priced out of GB and it would be great to have a seasoned back up on deck. If that’s the case, so be it but if Slaton has to go I hope it’s after a really strong farewell season. Good problems to have on the DL so far.