2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I can't trade Slaton and keep Ford. Ford would have had to make a monumental leap to be in Slaton's company. I'm not saying Slaton is great either. I'm also not sure I'm going to give Slaton another contract given all the player, I'd expect to have to extend over the next three years. 

I don't think you trade and downgrade when you have Super Bowl aspirations. Especially, when you are getting on the come with Ford. 

Slaton depends all on the market to me.  I want him on the team, I don't need him on the team.  But I do think he is pretty good.  If we let him go, we will have to find another big DL to keep Kenny fresh, and not solely getting mashed in the big DL role.  

What I was more getting at was is Slaton a 7/10 and Ford a 6/10? Or is Slaton just way better? I am thinking probably the latter.  But if Ford were close, I would guess that Slaton gets a better return on a possible trade.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Slaton depends all on the market to me.  I want him on the team, I don't need him on the team.  But I do think he is pretty good.  If we let him go, we will have to find another big DL to keep Kenny fresh, and not solely getting mashed in the big DL role.  

What I was more getting at was is Slaton a 7/10 and Ford a 6/10? Or is Slaton just way better? I am thinking probably the latter.  But if Ford were close, I would guess that Slaton gets a better return on a possible trade.  

I'm no expert and seldom pretend to be one! 😁

I think the difference between Slaton and Ford is move than 7/10 vs. 6/10. It seemed to be last year. 

I'm all for the guy taking a significant leap this year and getting into the conversation. Makes everybody in front of him work harder to stay on the field

Also, on another note, I am offended by anyone referring to Kenny Clarke as a 'fatty!" Fat guys are pissed off he's being talked about like them. He's way too built to be a 'fatty.' 

35 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Maybe, it could just be camp smoke. Hafley’s interview, he went out of his way to praise Slaton. If he has a big year he could get priced out of GB and it would be great to have a seasoned back up on deck. If that’s the case, so be it but if Slaton has to go I hope it’s after a really strong farewell season. Good problems to have on the DL so far. 

If we can get a 6th round pick for Ford, we would be stupid not to. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Doesn't that depend on how much he actually improved? 

If he's better in his role then Wooden is at his are we not better keeping Ford and dumping Wooden? I think we have guys who could slide inside in passing situations and take those snaps from Wooden. 

Just asking the question. I really don't know how Hafley is going to play defense and what he's going to need more of. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think we would take it, especially with the logjam of depth and young guys. I don’t know if anyone is offering. I guess what I’m saying is until he proves to be more than a PS player, I think we can sneak Ford back onto the PS which could be helpful if we lose Slaton next year. I just hope Slaton kicks some A this year. Haf said he’s had conversations with him and he can be more than just a space eater with his get off. 

20 hours ago, spilltray said:

I think he went from shaky early to serviceable by the end of the season. He's a guy who to me tops out at "solid". Morgan could be an actual top tier LT if he maximizes his potentia, but Walker is farther along. 

Next year everything could change 

I think he was better than serviceable at the end of the year.

19 minutes ago, Chili said:

Embedding tweets is finally working. Bloody Musk! why you inconvenience me so.

Anyway I figured the best 5 would end up looking like this.

Morgan-Jenkins-Myers-Tom-Walker

Instead the Packers are looking at this

Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Morgan-Tom

Why draft a left tackle in the first round only to shove him in at guard. It was the first time we drafted a tackle in the first round in 14 years. Everyone knew that we had to be proactive at replacing Bakhtiari and Gute did exactly that.

Then the coaches started meddling.....

I went back and looked at the scouts and coaches comments on Morgan when we drafted him and to be fair I have to admit most of them were non-committal with him being at left tackle, regularly mentioning his potential versatility despite having only ever played LT his entire college career. They're trying to shape him into what they WANT him to be instead of letting him play in his natural position first and seeing what happens.

Makes me feel like we drafted someone that the team ultimately didn't want.

Walker is a 7th round pick, he's not that important yet. Just move him around instead. He doesn't own the LT spot. He rotated with Nijman after Bakthiari was out for the season and ultimately ended up being the full time starter. If they were that confident in Walker they wouldn't have drafted Morgan and instead used their precious draft pick on someone else.

Just move Walker to the right and begin the process of moving Tom inside. Apparently the Packers believe Tom can be a even better player if he moves inside.

There was always a decent chance that Walker would beat out Morgan as a rookie. Morgan's issues dealing with strength to power and hand placement (certainly connected) always made it a possibility that a more seasoned Walker would be a step ahead of him for the first year. 

There's also something to be said that Rasheed Walker's limitations as a player were never physical. He's always been a guy with a lot of ability but technique and maturity issues have limited him. He doesn't lack foot speed, but technique issues have always limited his range. It's not impossible that the guy has matured as both a man and a player into a guy you are comfortable starting. That's one of the reasons he was a decent gamble as a late round pick. 

If you've got 3 good Tackles (Tom, Walker, Morgan) you move the worst one to Guard and let him compete. 

From a development standpoint this also makes a bit of sense:

• Morgan serves to hopefully push Rhyan (who is still getting his snaps with the 1s at LG) who has had motor/motivation issues in the past. 
  • Morgan could use some toughening up. Putting him inside for a year to force him to deal with hands and power isn't the worst thing for him. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Doesn't that depend on how much he actually improved? 

If he's better in his role then Wooden is at his are we not better keeping Ford and dumping Wooden? I think we have guys who could slide inside in passing situations and take those snaps from Wooden. 

Just asking the question. I really don't know how Hafley is going to play defense and what he's going to need more of. 

Guys that can get after the QB are a lot more valuable than fatty's. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Guys that can get after the QB are a lot more valuable than fatty's. 

Has Wooden shown a propensity to do this? 1/2 a sack and 2 QB hits. 

I just wasn't impressed with Wooden last year whatsoever. I'd love it he turned into something. I think Brooks is showing he was a steal though. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Has Wooden show a propensity to do this? 1/2 a sack and 2 QB hits. 

I just wasn't impressed with Wooden last year whatsoever. I'd love it he turned into something. I think Brooks is showing he was a steal though. 

He was also like the 5th string guy to be fair

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He came in at 6'4 273 and they're trying to get him up to 290. 

They're not bringing him in to eat doubles. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I saw him being interviewed recently before TC began.  He's up to 290 something and completely looks the part now.  Curious to see how he does with the new D.  It's nice having some quality depth on the DL tho.

Edited by thrILL!