2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My how the outlook changes over 12 months, eh?

Just crazy to think about our nothing but potential WR corp last year at this time to talking about a possible "historic" group.  And I agree with that.  It is just crazy how talented and self-less those WR's are.

Certainly agree.  Also helps with having a QB that spreads the ball around.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just crazy to think about our nothing but potential WR corp last year at this time to talking about a possible "historic" group.  And I agree with that.  It is just crazy how talented and self-less those WR's are.

How Watson and Wicks flashed last year really jumped out to me. 

And it was Reed I was highest on heading into 2023!

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

So Jacobs was out today with a groin injury?  Any word on whether it was just precautionary?

Most likely precautionary.   Saw nothing about an incident/ injury during any recent practice.

Veteran rest allows reps for the backups

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

This is what I envisioned for Wood. Not totally sure he had to get above 290 for the tweener role with his main attribute being his quickness.

A speed rusher in the IDL who can play the Heavy Run D type on the edge. It's basically a gimmick, but it's another card in the deck.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

How Watson and Wicks flashed last year really jumped out to me. 

And it was Reed I was highest on heading into 2023!

Reed.  Yah, you liked him after you watched his highlights.  I just saw his size and combine score and professed that he was most likely to "bust".  Wish I would have said "bust out".  

But, Watson flashed?  I thought he did next to nothing, after flashing as a rookie.

I was high on Wicks right away, I was rooting hard for him.  Loved his release right away.  Loved the routes.  Questioned the hands and the toughness to work over the middle of the field and the speed to get deep on the outside.

Thought this then, still think it now.  Doubs is our best.  He's gonna be the "go to" guy.  Steady Eddie.  Watson will be the flashiest of the toys and will free up others for better looks.

Reed is the gadget guy that will be schemed into success and he's gonna be a killer in the slot.

Add in the two TE's and I don't know how you really prepare to take something away from this offense to neutralize it.  Stable of RB's, 2 quality TE's and WR's all over the field.  

I feel like it is going to up to MLF to get those great game plans into place.  Don't get predictable in down/distance looks and tendencies.

Because opposing DC's?  That's about all they got, the chess game against the MLF brain.  Just so many weapons on this offense.....

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The world in general doesn't know what to make of GB's group of WR's.  In the initial Madden 25 ratings, there isn't a single GB receiver in the top 50.  It's pretty wild.

• Like 2

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

The world in general doesn't know what to make of GB's group of WR's.  In the initial Madden 25 ratings, there isn't a single GB receiver in the top 50.  It's pretty wild.

There are 4 ( Watson, Reed, Doubs, Wicks) that are all equally capable but in different skillsets.  None of them will likely get the volume of targets like the top 10-15 WR get.  So slotting them into WR1, WR2, etc is a foolish endeavor as it will change on a game by game basis

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Reed.  Yah, you liked him after you watched his highlights.  I just saw his size and combine score and professed that he was most likely to "bust".  Wish I would have said "bust out".  

But, Watson flashed?  I thought he did next to nothing, after flashing as a rookie.

I was high on Wicks right away, I was rooting hard for him.  Loved his release right away.  Loved the routes.  Questioned the hands and the toughness to work over the middle of the field and the speed to get deep on the outside.

Thought this then, still think it now.  Doubs is our best.  He's gonna be the "go to" guy.  Steady Eddie.  Watson will be the flashiest of the toys and will free up others for better looks.

Reed is the gadget guy that will be schemed into success and he's gonna be a killer in the slot.

Add in the two TE's and I don't know how you really prepare to take something away from this offense to neutralize it.  Stable of RB's, 2 quality TE's and WR's all over the field.  

I feel like it is going to up to MLF to get those great game plans into place.  Don't get predictable in down/distance looks and tendencies.

Because opposing DC's?  That's about all they got, the chess game against the MLF brain.  Just so many weapons on this offense.....

I think it was the Dallas game maybe for Watson part of a 3 game stretch where he looked like he could be a stud #1. He was high-pointing, he looked strong at the point of catch. I didn't remember seeing those receiver SKILLS from him before. He's always been talent and needed to develop the skills and I saw that flash last year in limited occurrences. I spoke about it at the time as well. 

I was getting low on Watson but he showed more potential to be a real WR last year if he can stay healthy. 

Very very exciting group.

• Like 1

from GB reddit

Practice is finished - 2 hours and 2 minutes

General:

Next Event: Family Night, Aug. 3rd 7:30 P.M. CT

Injured:

• Carrington Valentine CB (hamstring)

• Deslin Alexandre DL (lower leg)

• Donovan Jennings G/T (knee)

• Don Callis CB (hamstring)

• Edgerrin Cooper LB (hip)

• Josh Jacobs RB (groin)

• Keshawn Banks DL (groin)

• Tucker Kraft TE (PUP, pec)

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Caleb Jones OT (hammy, limited)

• Elgton Jenkins OL (vet rest)

• Josh Myers C (personal day)

• Kenny Clark (vet rest)

• Kitan Oladapo S (toe, limited)

• Preston Smith LB (vet rest)

• Rashan Gary LB (vet rest)

• Tyler Davis TE (vet rest)

• Zach Tom OT (pec, limited)

• Zayne Anderson S (knee, limited)

Offense:

• Starters

• Love

• Dillon

• Watson - Reed - Wicks

• Musgrave

• Walker - Newman - Rhyan - Morgan - Dillard

• MarShawn Lloyd makes his presence felt with an explosive run for about 50. Ballentine would have had a chance at him after a cut back but either way an impressive play for the rookie.

• Monk getting some snaps with the 1s with Myers out today.

• Love to Watson in stride over the middle. Ballentine in coverage.

• Clifford is either super short for DuBose or super high for Melton. Either way it’s incomplete. Defender had the best chance.

• Clifford nice little bootleg to Melton.

• Two short runs by Dillon.

• Checkdown to Dillon, as LVN & JJ completely collapsed off the edge & met at the QB.

• Fly-motion shovel pass to Jayden Reed picks up a few. Nixon played it nicely.

• Fumbled snap Monk/Love.

• Love with an absolutely unreal seal throw to Watson in cover 2. Just beyond the reach of Quay and before the two safeties. Couldn’t have handed it to him better 30ish yards downfield. Best throw of camp so far.

• Emanuel Wilson with another nice run, this one down the left sideline. He’s had a big run almost every practice.

• Lloyd flashes his hands on snag off a wheel route from Clifford

• Love stays strong in the pocket as he is pressured by Wyatt and delivers a strike over the middle to Wicks.

• Love to Wicks again on a slant. Just feels like he’s always open.

• 2 minute:

• Ball at own 45. Down 7. 1 minute left. No timeouts. 1st and 10.

• Love to Wicks for about 13. First down. Clock ticks.

• Wicks with a beautiful release vs Stokes and Love throws an absolute dime down the sidelines. Huge gain and out of bounds! Unreal play!!!

• Down to the 16. 38 seconds left. No timeouts. First and 10.

• Love checkdown to Reed. Picks up 7. Clock ticks.

• Dillard nice block on Cox. 4th and 2 at the 7 coming up. 9 seconds left.

• Wicks wins easy and Love gives him a great ball but Bullard wisely grabs him. Pass interference called. 1st down at the 1. 4 seconds left.

• Love completes to Wicks but defense forced him out at the 1. Looks like there should have been a second left but it ticks off. Defense wins. Wicks and love were awesome on that drive.

• Jaire with a pretty big hit on Wicks to stop TD on final play of 2-minute.

• 16 seconds left. Tie game. Ball at opposing 35. No timeouts.

• Big collision between Doubs and Bullard on deep ball but both appear to be ok.

• Love fires a strike to Melton back corner of the end zone. Should have been 7 but Melton misjudged it and it went right through his hands. Not an easy play for 80 but did seem like he misjudged it a bit.

• 2 minute for the 2’s:

• Clifford scrambles. No gain or maybe a slight loss but gets out of bounds.

• Clifford to Heath with a nice anticipation throw on an out route. Picks up 7. 3rd down.

• Pushups again for Packers offense

Defense:

• Starters

• Enagbare - Slaton - Wyatt - LVN

• Quay - McDuffie

• Stokes - Nixon - Jaire

• Bullard - McKinney

• Karl Brooks has been heating up as of late. A would be sack of Clifford in team. Brenton Cox pressuring as well.

• Colby Wooden getting snaps at DE with Gary and Preston sitting out today

• Eric Wilson the wily vet with another play in the backfield. This time on Lloyd.

• LVN is stacking success! Another sack this time of Love. He’s had a really nice week of practice.

• Enagbare blows up inside run for no gain

• McDuffie and Van Ness all over a Lloyd run.

• Zayne Anderson all over a quick out to Reed. It’s completed for a few but Anderson right there for the stop.

• Devonte Wyatt goes right through Sean Rhyan for a big time pressure.

• Odumegwu gets home vs Eason in 3s. Cox there a half second later

• Kristian Welch making some plays with the 3’s. Just put Jarveon Howard on the ground. Nothing too dirty/physical but he def popped him good.

• Tyler Coyle snaps in front of an Eason pass for a possible pick six

• 2 minute drill.

• Cox almost gets a sack but Love gets rid of it incomplete to Doubs downfield. Was basically a throwaway. 32 seconds left.

• For the 2's:

• King undercuts the route but can’t come up with anything - ball hits Toure in the hands for a potential first but dropped.

• Clifford tries a slant to Heath but it’s well covered. Defense wins.

Special Teams:

• Joseph goes 3/3 from 41 45 and 47.

• Joseph perfect again today - makes from 42, 51L and 49.

• He’s now 28/30

• Carlson goes 1/3. Good from 41 but missed 45 WL and hit left upright from 47.

• Carlson misses left from 49. Good from 42 and 51

• Joseph and Carlson both good from 58 to finish practice.

• Tally after Day 9:

• Joseph: 29/31

• Carlson: 25/31

Media:

Interviews:

• Matt LaFleur: Presser

• Says Edgerrin Cooper has a groin injury. "We'll see how he does."

• "We're still kind of going through that right now," said LaFleur about Valentine, who missed Wednesday's practice with a hamstring. They'll be cautious.

• Says a busted coverage led to Dontayvion Wicks' TD during yesterday's two-minute drill.

• On Jordan Morgan: "He has everything you look for in a guy who can play in this league for a long time."

• TJ Slaton has "surprised us in some ways" with his ability to get off the ball. "He's done a really good job."

• On new hip-drop tackle rules: "We've definitely talked about it. I think one of the key elements is that you have to put yourself in a great tackling position, and you got to make sure you're running your feet on contact.

• Anthony Johnson Jr has had an “outstanding” camp and has made a “huge jump” per MLF. Says he’s excited for him.

• On the new white helmets: "I think it's cool. I think it's awesome. It'll bring some juice to the locker room...the guys really like them."

For Live Updates: Click Here!

Awesome that Lloyd is out there practicing. I was supposed to get out to the past few practices but haven’t. He’s a guy I really want to get a look at just because he’s such a physical specimen. Pretty powerful guy tucked into a small stature. Those kinds of athletes can make for some fun RBs. Hope  he’s healthy and shows out in the preseason and he picks up the finer points of the offense quickly. He could be a huge threat back there if all of the other pieces are moving together. 

If Joseph continues making kicks at this clip, Anders is going to need to do better than today.

If all was pretty close to equal, I'd bet most would have assumed Anders was coming back but if Joseph kicks like this all of camp and Anders has a few more days like today, the packers need to make Joseph the guy.

4 minutes ago, PackersGarfield said:

If Joseph continues making kicks at this clip, Anders is going to need to do better than today.

If all was pretty close to equal, I'd bet most would have assumed Anders was coming back but if Joseph kicks like this all of camp and Anders has a few more days like today, the packers need to make Joseph the guy.

I just want a kicker that is super reliable on anything under 47yds and XPs. Packers did not have that last year and it put us in some compromised positions chasing points late in close games. 

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

A speed rusher in the IDL who can play the Heavy Run D type on the edge. It's basically a gimmick, but it's another card in the deck.

But bulking him up takes away from his whole gimmick is my point. He can do that job around 280. Heavier=not so nimble. 

Edited by HighCalebR

19 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I just want a kicker that is super reliable on anything under 47yds and XPs. Packers did not have that last year and it put us in some compromised positions chasing points late in close games. 

Definitely what we're looking for but also need a big leg in lambeau. 

Obviously have to do better than last year but kickers are pretty damn fickle. Look at the the top 10 success % kickers last year. Most of those dudes with big legs have had some kill the kicker seasons. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:07 PM, MantyWrestler said:

If he was better able to get after the QB he wouldn’t be 5th string. 

You got 4 pretty good players above him though. Wasn't expecting him to eclipse them right away anyways