2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I really expect Heath to be WR 5 or WR 6.  Dubose is WR 6 or WR 7.

Hoping we can put Dubose on PS, somehow.  And I really hope that we can find a way to carry 6 WR.

You got Heath beating out Melton for #5? He would have to have really grown as a WR. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

By your own accounting, the FA's, trades, day 1 and day 2 picks invested look like this

GB: RD3 (94), RD3 (75), RD3 (94), RD3 (85)

KC: RD1 (28), RD2 (55), RD2 (54), traded RD3(100), UFA at 2Y/18M, UFA at 1Y/10M

I am just not seeing these as similar at all.

Mostly in that both have been accused of "not doing anything" about their WR situation. 

GB certainly devoted resources to it. 

KC has obviously devoted far more resources to it, as presented 

Plus I tailed off GB before they drafted Watson (34), Musgrave (32), Reed (50) and Kraft (78). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I see GB's "neglect" of the WR room the same way I see KC's "neglect" - they aren't throwing big-ticket resources at the issues, but they are addressing it. 

GB - post Tae, they drafted Montgomery 95th overall, in 2018 they had the Moore/MVS/ESB draft (along with unearthing Lazard, who if not a gem was at least a nice mineral), in 19 and 20 they grabbed Sternberger and Deguara in the 3rd,* 2021 Amari Rodgers 85th overall...again, only maybe 2 of those guys could be described as "hits" but they were putting forth relatively valuable resources to solve the issue. They just weren't having any luck. 

Same with KC...in reverse order from Worthy this year, they grabbed Rice last year, Skyy Moore the year before, along with acquiring Toney, Juju, and MVS (all on the cheap, but also the later two are veterans who'd had some success, Juju more than MVS). It isn't that they aren't addressing their WR issues, they just aren't having any luck. 

* TEs are not WRs, but if you find a Kelce or Gronk...

GB either had "bad luck" or they had a QB who just wouldn't trust young WR's or TE's.  Or a little of both.

KC did try some more established guys and got by, probably because they had THE QB to do things like that.

We should have, but......well we know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You got Heath beating out Melton for #5? He would have to have really grown as a WR. 

No.  Read again.  WR5 or WR6.  I'm not sure if he beats out Melton.  Also not sure that Melton beats him out.  It's a toss up for me.  I like the "dawg" in Heath.  I like the big play speed and competitiveness of Melton.  Not sure what GB prefers, but I hope they prefer both on cutdown day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Jordan Morgan wasn't able to practice today .. left to go inside with the trainers.  Hope he is not out long .. needs to get all the reps he can at RG. 

Really hope that's minor. Newman and Dillard being next man up on the depth chart is a terrifying thought. Honestly don't know how Newman continues to survive and make this damn roster year after year. Would be great if Gute can find some better options around final cuts or perhaps trade for a depth piece around that time

On 8/5/2024 at 8:27 PM, Old Guy said:

I would say the one position I'd go lighter on based on the reports so far is quarterback. Doesn't seem as though there is any worry about exposing Clifford to waivers and bringing him back to practice squad. If we lose him, go get another stiff off the street. 

2 QBs seem like a given on the 53 man roster given that the emergency QB can be a guy on the PS.  My guess is Love and Pratt with Clifford to the PS.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I can't imagine it's more than a series.

Maybe with an extra scoop of vanilla, no sprinkles. Even in the 2nd game I doubt he gets more than a quarter. QB 2 & 3 will get plenty of an audition and hopefully the young guys that need to make a case for the 53 stand out. LaFluer likes the joint practices to get some starter on starter  reps and that will probably become even more common if we very likely get to just 2 preseason games. 

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Maybe with an extra scoop of vanilla, no sprinkles. Even in the 2nd game I doubt he gets more than a quarter. QB 2 & 3 will get plenty of an audition and hopefully the young guys that need to make a case for the 53 stand out. LaFluer likes the joint practices to get some starter on starter  reps and that will probably become even more common if we very likely get to just 2 preseason games. 

It might be tough for the bottom end WRs trying to make the squad with Clifford throwing them the ball. I'm looking forward to the Dubois - Heath duel for WR 6. I think 7 is on the outside looking in. 

Just get Love a few hand offs and one throw and get him the hell out of there. I'd be shocked if Garrett plays, and Z. is hobbled. Kind of hope MLF changes his mind on Love playing. 

Interesting side note. I saw Nick Bosa interviewed and he's never played in a preseason game in his career. 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It might be tough for the bottom end WRs trying to make the squad with Clifford throwing them the ball. I'm looking forward to the Dubois - Heath duel for WR 6. I think 7 is on the outside looking in. 

Just get Love a few hand offs and one throw and get him the hell out of there. I'd be shocked if Garrett plays, and Z. is hobbled. Kind of hope MLF changes his mind on Love playing. 

Interesting side note. I saw Nick Bosa interviewed and he's never played in a preseason game in his career. 

I know you mean DuBose, but you have had enough posts about him where it might be worth learning his name.

In general, established starters will play very little and stars not much at all in the first preseason game. Either way, anytime Love is in there it will be with the explicit understanding that the ball will come out quickly, completion or otherwise. We might actually see some more gunslinging with QB2 & 3. 

From GB Reddit, Tuesday practice

Practice is finished - 1 hour and 59 minutes

General:

• Full pads

• Welcome to practice #11

• "Beautiful day in Green Bay for Packers practice"

• Packers released QB Jacob Eason.

• DE Zach Morton agreed to a one-year deal with the Packers filling Eason's vacated roster spot.

Next Event: Open Practice, Aug. 7th 10:30 A.M. CT

Injured:

• Carrington Valentine CB (hamstring)

• Deslin Alexandre DL (lower leg)

• Dimitri Stanley WR (hamstring)

• Donovan Jennings G/T (knee)

• Don Callis CB (hamstring)

• Edgerrin Cooper LB (hip)

• Keshawn Banks DL (groin)

• Kingsley Enagbare DL (hamstring)

• Rory Starkey WR (calf)

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Caleb Jones OT (hammy, limited)

• Kitan Oladapo S (toe, limited)

• Zayne Anderson S (knee, limited)

• Tucker Kraft TE (pec, limited)

Offense:

• 1 vs. 1

• DuBose beats Ballentine. Clean win.

• Wilson drop vs Williams.

• Reed smokes Nixon.

• Watson beats Stokes easy. Deep td.

• Wicks leaping sideline catch vs Rochell.

• Doubs short completion vs Jaire.

• Incomplete to Heath. Not on same page as QB. Davis in coverage.

• Wilson win short vs Williams.

• Melton had Bullard beat deep. Underthrown. Melton didn’t adjust well to it.

• Wayne win on a comeback vs Green.

• Sims awesome route vs AJJ and was open deep but overthrown.

• DuBose looks awesome. Just broke Ballentines ankles then made a leaping td catch.

• Reed had a step on Nixon but couldn’t make the diving catch.

• DuBose looked absolutely awesome in 1x1s.

• Jordan Morgan blocked Kenny Clark first rep and then the vet got him back on next one.

• Elgton took four one on one reps and put on a show.

• Jordan Morgan stood up Devonte Wyatt on bull rush.

• Jacobs is doing team. Starts with a nice run.

• Sean Rhyan gets the start at RG in team.

• Tom is at LT.

• Zach Tom returns to RT and stays in front of Gary, allowing Love time to hit wicks on deep crosser. Great job by Love re-setting his feet and throwing a laser.

• Sean Rhyan great job blocking LVN to buy time for Love on the Wicks throw as well.

• Another big run by Jacobs. Two really nice run to start practice. That injury seems jusssssst fine.

• Doubs with a drop is worth noting because it’s Doubs, and he usually catches everything.

• Sean Rhyan just sealed slaton too.

• Dillard spelling Tom with ones.

• Love throws a swing pass to Lloyd but it hits him right in the hands and he drops it. Second drop by the offense.

• Love rolls right and Tyler Davis does an unreal job of blocking Rashan Gary to buy time for 10 to fire downfield for Watson for about 20-25. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Adam Stenavich that jacked up. Stenavich ran right up to Love after the throw all jacked up.

• Jordan Morgan just went inside with a trainer.

• Clifford’s hit a couple nice throws rolling left to Sims.

• MarShawn Lloyd has a drop and a fumble during first team period.

• Love starting off very strong today. A very nice touch pass to Musgrave on an out for a first down.

• Telfort rotating in now too.

• Love to Doubs on a slant. Love consistently finding solutions to the defense right now. Seeing the move Doubs just gave Stokes off the line leaves me in awe.

• Love with another dime to Watson with Ballentine in coverage.

• Love finds Musgrave but Musgrave cannot make the catch. Love on fire - the pass catchers not so much.

• J. Wilson can’t hang on over the middle on a contested play by Hopper.

• Josh Jacobs with a nice little shimmy to try and avoid Bullard.

• Toure catches a slant thrown just behind him for 5 yards on third and 2.

• Pratt with a bullet to Joel Wilson right over the middle. Nice pluck by Wilson. Pratt can sling it.

• Love looked to have a nice deep ball downfield to Wicks but it certainly looked like Wicks completely misjudged it and jumped to early. To be fair it is very windy right now and maybe the trajectory changed a bit.

• Love with a nice slant to Reed to pick up a key first down in move the ball. Really nice day for Jordan.

• Competition period with 24 seconds left and one timeout from 50. Love finds Watson for 15.

Defense:

• 1 vs. 1

• King good coverage on Toure.

• PBU by McKinney vs Musgrave.

• Coyle great coverage and PBU vs Swinson.

• Jaire pbu vs Doubs. Good coverage. Bad throw.

• Williams win vs Wilson.

• Green great coverage on Hicks. Broke up the pass.

• Bullard at S

• Ty’Ron Hopper getting reps with Walker and McDuffie.

• LVN with a big time tfl on Jacobs. Prob 5 yard loss.

• Jaire with fantastic coverage on Wicks. He’s been pretty damn lockdown in team. Pbu.

• Cooper isn’t practicing but is deep downfield mimicking the LB footwork.

• LVN has made a few plays today, including a “sack” now of Pratt.

• Lloyd gets stuffed by Welch on a run and after the play the defense knocks it out which they are trained to do even after the play is “over.”

• First three one snaps go to Bullard. Now Williams in with 29.

• Kenny Clark with a pressure up the middle.

• Team ends with Hopper blitzing and pressure breaking up the play.

• Slaton possible sack.

• Jaire locking up today. Like white on rice against Wicks and Watson for two incompletions during team periods. Second one hit Watson in the hands with Jaire on his back and 23 almost picked it.

• Ty’Ron Hopper with quite the thump on MarShawn Lloyd on a run stop.

• Slaton with a tipped pass at the line on Clifford.

• Eric Wilson with a very quick sack of Jordan Love on a blitz. Called a safety in the end zone. The first time Love really hasn’t had a read on the defense.

• Anthony Johnson Jr just absolutely buried Grant DuBose on the backside of a run play. Drove him right into the ground on a blitz

• Jaire talking nuclear levels of trash at the offense between plays during an end-of-game drill.

• Quay Walker sitting out a second period.

Special Teams:

• Carlson and Joseph both go 3 for 3 from 35, 39 and 41.

• Both kickers 1-3 into a wall of wind**.**

• Joseph doesn’t have the distance in the wind. He misses another. He’s now 41/48 - 85.4%

• Carlson hits the post on a long FG as well. He’s now 38/48 - 79.2%.

• Today is an absolute brutal day for the kicking competition. Windy in Green Bay. Gonna be a day to forget for Anders Carlson and Greg Joseph in camp.

Media:

Interviews:

• Matt LaFleur: Presser

• Says TE Tucker Kraft will practice today, but he'll be limited to individual drills. No team reps today.

• Zach Tom will not play this Saturday. Jordan Love WILL play.

• "Ideally, we'll have everybody padded up. Just how much they play is the real question."

• On Caleb Jones: "He's a guy that's grown a lot." LaFleur adds that more consistency--as is the case with everyone he adds--is a focus. "That's a heck of a competition right now," said LaFleur of the swing tackle role.

• Confirms that Christian Watson came out of Family Night without an injury. "He's fine."

• On Michael Pratt's performance on Family Night: "He shows it in practice. He's not afraid to do that (push the ball down the field). Just like I said with a lot of these guys, trying to get a little bit more consistent. That position, naturally, there's a lot of information that's pushed at you."

• On starters playing in the preseason opener: “Re-evaluating the last couple years from when we’ve had guys not play and last year having them, all the guys play, I thought it was beneficial for us early on, especially Week 1, just to kind of knock some of the rust off. I think there was a lot of value of going through getting your mind right to get ready to play a football game. Obviously, we’re going to be smart with those guys. The last thing we want to do is put guys at risk.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Hating in Slaton is ******* dumb if you watch what he was doing last year.

Reading the article wouldn't Brooks be ideal in this system? Have to think Wooden would be more valuable as well. 

If Wyatt doesn't come on this year we might be talking bust. 

Just not sure how much stock I'd put into this guys take. 

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Reading the article wouldn't Brooks be ideal in this system? Have to think Wooden would be more valuable as well. 

If Wyatt doesn't come on this year we might be talking bust. 

Just not sure how much stock I'd put into this guys take. 

Slaton is ******* good. Wyatt will be good. Brooks will be good. In their roles. 

If our edge is as advertised and kenny is kenny our line is gooooood.

Wooden I think is very on the fringe. Jarius Wynn.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1